Ponder these numbers, tree guys---

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's about $80 in pay per worker and then $4 per $10 in workers comp.

I need $200 on top of costs per day for bring the show. I think $200 is too cheap though, but the competition either gets $200 per day on a day job or $300 for a week it seems like. I think they are hiring workers for $40-$60 a day per person, skipping payroll taxes, and skipping workers comp. I don't see how they justify the pitiful little prices on the multiple day jobs. They win the bids though.

For some strange reason it seems the further you get away from the southern boarder the higher the wages get for help. I can't figure out why though.

For some strange reason it seems the further you get away from the southern boarder the higher the wages get for help. I can't figure out why though.

It's PC to understand that you don't know why, and why you don't understand is what you know for. All in all........you understand. :msp_unsure:

I was waiting for that last line. :msp_thumbup:

Let's say you knock it out in 1 day, and you walk with $600 on top of costs for labor, worker comp, city dump costs, and fuel. Is that a good day, average day, or bad day???

No. I can make that in a day just contract climbing, why would I subject myself to the headaches of owning a business for that kind of money?

These threads used to be funny, now it's getting old. You and gAygAy need to go away. This site is just too annoying anymore.

No. I can make that in a day just contract climbing, why would I subject myself to the headaches of owning a business for that kind of money?

Yeah, that's understandable, but is that contract climbing for 10 or is that 20 days per month?

These threads used to be funny, now it's getting old. You and gAygAy need to go away. This site is just too annoying anymore.

The ceiling is too low at your shack over there. You were mumbling something about $600 a day once in a while before you hit the ceiling in ecstasy and landed on the keyboard. All I got after that was, "we need it gayay or just two ways with everyone around hrres..s.s...."

Well, pull yourself back up to the laptop, and say what you really men to say. :blob2:

Still trolling, eh? You do realize you are the reason this site sucks balls now, right? I'm betting your little pine would take a good climber less than a day to put down. Oops, I forgot, there was a fence in the way, right? How the hell can one deal with that type of obstacle?

Wow, the metamorphologist gonna get down to business.

Or is this just trolling hour? :biggrin: What's up???

FTA that seems pretty low for a three day job. But three days for an 80 ft pine, seems like a long time too, even with the ground obstacles and what not. Sure like to see a photo. What kind of pine is it? Single leader or decurrent? If your doing it this week you should think about calling me. I could maybe shave a day and a half off that. We could work out some deal. Just saying.
Good luck with it and be safe.

Yeah, it's about $80 in pay per worker and then $4 per $10 in workers comp.

I need $200 on top of costs per day for bring the show. I think $200 is too cheap though, but the competition either gets $200 per day on a day job or $300 for a week it seems like. I think they are hiring workers for $40-$60 a day per person, skipping payroll taxes, and skipping workers comp. I don't see how they justify the pitiful little prices on the multiple day jobs. They win the bids though.
To be truthful if its that difficult and labor intensive to take three days I would let some one else do it at that price. You don't even want to be in that market bidding against hacks and illegals and dealing with the people who employ them. There are companys that are known for their work and there are people who will pay for the best. You want to be one of those companys and deal with those people.

I have always heard the rule when figure how much to charge for your worker, you should double what you pay him, and add in the $ for workers comp. (by the way, how the heck is your workers comp only $4). I wouldnt charge any less then $1200 a day for 3 guys, chipper, and then i would add in the factor of the fence.

Seems low, for 3 days, seems long for the tree. That would be a one day deal for me.

Seems low, for 3 days, seems long for the tree. That would be a one day deal for me.

That oak took me the best part of three days, but that was 5k.. and I was taking it easy. $600 a day wasn't bad... 15 years ago. Just saying, and all things relative, that seems about right for the FTA "crew". Lmao.

Yep, I hear ya. We are on that deal now, no equipment but saws and gear. No clean up, all stuff stays on site. Back lower lot, bombing fursure, 2.5 days @3500, I had a guy sick for a 1.5 days, put down to just 2 of us, little behind and he is still sick, so I will actually have 4 calender days but low man hours. Is nice when your doing a bunch of removals and you only need your pickup and a back seat of gear. Not sure if he is really sick or sick of working.

Yep, I hear ya. We are on that deal now, no equipment but saws and gear. No clean up, all stuff stays on site. Back lower lot, bombing fursure, 2.5 days @3500, I had a guy sick for a 1.5 days, put down to just 2 of us, little behind and he is still sick, so I will actually have 4 calender days but low man hours. Is nice when your doing a bunch of removals and you only need your pickup and a back seat of gear. Not sure if he is really sick or sick of working.

Those are my favorite jobs to do. I get to cut and drop as fast as i can and dont have to worry about the ground guy thats dragging brush getting in my way and slowing me down. Plus when I get it to the ground I get paid and leave them the mess to cleanup. I have a job right now that thats a couple miles from my house that I am dropping a bunch of trees for the home owner. Actually I am having to pull most of them over. I am charging $200 each if I have to pull them over (got the house right there) and $50 each if I am just dropping them. I cut a few and then leave him to cut them up. He's burning the brush. I go back every couple days and cut some more down. Got about 20 more to go yet. Mostly all white and red oak. He wants them down to have grass for his kid to play. I'd keep the trees.

To be truthful if its that difficult and labor intensive to take three days I would let some one else do it at that price. You don't even want to be in that market bidding against hacks and illegals and dealing with the people who employ them. There are companys that are known for their work and there are people who will pay for the best. You want to be one of those companys and deal with those people.

I get every bit of what you're saying. I think about it everyday. :bang:

....and all I can see in the far away future is a chewed up ribeye bone. :cry:

OK, so basically it's too low of a price. That's exactly what I thought, but I knew this HO wouldn't take my bid because I knew who else was coming over to bid that thing. I just walked in that back yard, and said, "****." I knew right away there was nothing there for me but a head ache specially wrapped with care and greedy smiles from a cheap hag herself. LOL No really. I blurted $2,000 to see how the conversation would go from there. I knew $2,000 was low for full blown tree services, yet her reaction was that $2,000 was just out of line with her.

Back