ponds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

begleytree

H. sapiens moderatus
Reaction score
anyone else here work on ponds?
I just finished a color treatment and weed treatment around the edges. hoping the dye gets rid of the few aquatic weeds and I don't have to treat the pond itself for that.
this one measured 179' around at high water mark, comes to .2 surface acres. pond maxes at 24' deep but most is @15' deep.
just started getting into stocking (done one)
almost everyone here has a pond, and I have 3 boats and a jetski so getting out there is no problem (in the 8' johnboat). no one here does anything with them except sell the stuff at the feed stores so I decided to start doing them for clients as I already install the small ones and sub the big ones.
hopefully its found money, but so far its been something I like to do and something I can do without acrueing additional payroll.
-Ralph

Beg not sure what you mean stocking here means with fish!
I was asked once to dredge a pond but backed out on it as EPA
would get involved and did not feel the red tape to be worth the
trouble. I however did cut buck brush and pull out cattails was
a bad snakee idea so probably won't do the cottonmouth shuffle
anytime soon lol.

yeah, I meant stock with fish. at least order and have delivered anyway.
just routiene maintence here on my end that folks don't know to do, how to do, or have time to do.
-Ralph

yeah, I meant stock with fish. at least order and have delivered anyway.
just routiene maintence here on my end that folks don't know to do, how to do, or have time to do.
-Ralph
That sounds interesting where do you get fingerling's
how are you transporting them to the ponds? Here the game and fish
will stock pond for free but you have to give public access if they stock!
You may have a goldmine, probably not much comp! I would secure fishing
rights of any pond I stocked as nothing better than farm raised fish!

theres a hatchery a couple hour drive from here. free delivery on orders over $150. easy enough. call and have them brought.

same here on the state stocking, though there is no info to the public on where they stock, so you never know. guess it would only apply to those caught fishing in a pond that the owner calls the law about. tables could turn quickly there if it was state stocked.
-Ralph

Moved out of the city to farm fish, sprouted a couple of kids first though, the fish will have to wait.

Selling at stocking size makes the quickest money.

Our pond is nearly three acres,it is fed by one creek and several underground springs.Back in the early 80's we stocked it with bream,bass,then back in 95 I put some brown trout in....The biggest problem at first was keeping it out of the road when heavy rains came,so we built a spillway that will carry water down to the creek it runs into..Most of it is surrounded by trees other than the dam area,and since about 80% of the water is coming from springs,it stays clear most of the time,but because of this algae has been a big problem...It was hard to fish out of at one time...It's deepest parts are near 30 feet and even there algae growth was unreal..So in 89' we put 12 grass carp in there that were unable to re-produce and that has turned the algae problem around...But those fish only last so long,so we have to kind of keep inventory of them and replace them as they die off..In 2001 we drained it to about 50% and took out the old drain pipe made of cast iron and replaced it with a siphon drain made from PVC pipe..It seems much more efficient because since doing it it hasn't flooded....As for the fish,the DNR put the bream and bass in,and I bought the trout from the hatchery up in Pisgah...Other than the algae,our pond has pretty much taken care of itself over the years....The pond was built in 1970,and I grew up on it...Man,if it could talk,I'd be in some deep water...:)

Last edited:
when you stock the trout, how do you guys transport them to your ponds? i'm not sure at all how long they will survive, in i'm guessing a cooler, maybe??

Beg- I'm getting a Timberwolf splitter this season. A service I'm going to offer is to split customers wood on site for them. I'm hoping this is going to be "found money" . Pete

I am guessing from the types of replies that you all are talking about the more 'natural' type of ponds.
We have a 10,000 gallon 'pond' behind our house that was dug into the rock, its 30' long, 8' wide and about 8' deep. The filtration is all natural biological mats and plants, with four 2400gph pumps and an ultra violet sterilizer, and is itself another 500gallons. It is stocked with about 20 BIG koi carp, red tailed amazon catfish, and various plecastomus algae eaters! It also is plumbed into our house and provides our water for flushing and laundry. It gets topped up from the rain that falls on our roof. Oh yea, there are windows in it 2'x3' in our living room and kitchen. The top is open outside so you can sit out by it in the summer!
My hubby used to design, build and stock ponds all over the island, but when people would not follow his instructions for feeding and maintenance he gave up because he didn't want his name associated with crappy looking ponds.

anyone else here work on ponds?
I just finished a color treatment and weed treatment around the edges. hoping the dye gets rid of the few aquatic weeds and I don't have to treat the pond itself for that.
this one measured 179' around at high water mark, comes to .2 surface acres. pond maxes at 24' deep but most is @15' deep.
just started getting into stocking (done one)
almost everyone here has a pond, and I have 3 boats and a jetski so getting out there is no problem (in the 8' johnboat). no one here does anything with them except sell the stuff at the feed stores so I decided to start doing them for clients as I already install the small ones and sub the big ones.
hopefully its found money, but so far its been something I like to do and something I can do without acrueing additional payroll.
-Ralph

Yeah I get it !!!
Your another one of those guys trying to make money on the side.
Do you realize that your taking away jobs from those certified pond management people that make twice the amount than you ???
Ralph, You should be a role model.
Extra $$ on the side ???

What would happen if a tree fell in the pond ???

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

:cheers:

Will they do anything to the pond to maintain the oxygen or replenish the water?

My dad had a restaurant at Timber Junction, Oregon, around 1976. It had two ponds near 1/3 acre surface, each.

He pumped water from the creek into the ponds and the overflow discharged out a drain pipe w/ screen.

I don't recall much about the maintenance, except that he never used chemicals, and the water was rather clear. Cattails on one side of each pond.

I am guessing from the types of replies that you all are talking about the more 'natural' type of ponds.
We have a 10,000 gallon 'pond' behind our house that was dug into the rock, its 30' long, 8' wide and about 8' deep. The filtration is all natural biological mats and plants, with four 2400gph pumps and an ultra violet sterilizer, and is itself another 500gallons. It is stocked with about 20 BIG koi carp, red tailed amazon catfish, and various plecastomus algae eaters! It also is plumbed into our house and provides our water for flushing and laundry. It gets topped up from the rain that falls on our roof. Oh yea, there are windows in it 2'x3' in our living room and kitchen. The top is open outside so you can sit out by it in the summer!
My hubby used to design, build and stock ponds all over the island, but when people would not follow his instructions for feeding and maintenance he gave up because he didn't want his name associated with crappy looking ponds.

Bermie the water managment in Bermuda is amazing. I've never given much thought to getting drinking water around my parts, here we just dig a hole 'bout 230 feet deep.

Will they do anything to the pond to maintain the oxygen or replenish the water?

around here they are spring fed, sometimes many springs at once. I've seen bulldozers almost stuck trying to finish the bottom and the spring is filling it up fast. excess goes out overflow. I have seen many a 100 X 75 X 20' deep pond fill up to overflow line in less than 36 hours. thats a lot of spring flow, imo.
this creates a very clear condition that alge thrives in and the lilly pads and cattails will take over a pod if you let them.

smokin, wells here run about 50 feet deep. usually at 60-75 feet, you will hit sulfer water.
-Ralph

smokin, wells here run about 50 feet deep. usually at 60-75 feet, you will hit sulfer water.
-Ralph

You lucky dogs you in Ohio!

You can hit water with a bulldozer! :jawdrop:

Here in Misery we have to work hard to get it and keep it. It's not unusual to take two - three years to fill a large pond in these parts. And that's if the operator did a decent job on the damn.

Bermie the water managment in Bermuda is amazing. I've never given much thought to getting drinking water around my parts, here we just dig a hole 'bout 230 feet deep.

Yikes, dig a hole that deep and you'd hit the volcano!

Water management has helped shape our architecture and the way we live.
Our house roofs are designed to catch the rain and channel it into tanks usually built under the house, ours is an old house so the tank is off to one side. Its only about 6000gallons, hence the double duty pond!
Our geology is such that we have no natural streams, or rivers. Ponds are freshwater peat marshes. The rock substrate here is marine derived limestone, blown into dunes during ice ages and solidified over the aeons. All the rain soaks away like water through a sponge, so catching it is important. One of the first things you learn here is the bathroom ditty ' if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down', or 'in this land of sun and fun, we never flush for number one!' Rainfall indexes are quoted every night on the weather and today we had a day of what's called 'tank rain' good steady rain with little wind to blow it off the roof.
Reverse osmosis plants are springing up as weather patterns change such that a constant supply of rain is becoming something to think that might not be as reliable as it has been!

I have a large poinciana to remove next week, the homeowners have reached their limit with constantly cleaning the roof and gutters and the crud in the tank, sad, its a marvelous big old tree, but we tried last year with a reduction and it didn't work, so now it has to go. I've got them talking and thinking about what to replace it with, the specs are 'big leaves'!

Latest posts

Back