Poor Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeseasdas

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Maple tree I love it, it brings lots of shade and is the only really big tree in my Yard. Recently my seven year old son and his friend took an axe to the tree. They took about 10 swings one on one side one on the other the hits are no more then 2 inches deep each site is about the size of a coffee saucer... Anything I should do? (I mean to the tree my son well I know what to do with him!!) Can this kill the tree? I think its about 30 years old and somewhat healthy.. :angry:

lets see some pics, if you can. try and include shots from several angles. see if you can step back to show a wide angle to include the surrounding structures, and features of the landscape. what can or should be will depend on the variety/specie of tree and the conditions it is growing in among other things. see also if you can show a close-up of the foilage- this will help us determine what kind of tree we are dealing with.
good luck w/ little george washington.and the tree..jason

Pictures would help. If the bark is damaged all the way around the tree, it could be trouble. If it is only a portion of the tree it may heal itself and do ok. Maybe your 7 year old will be lookin for a job here on AS when he is old enough!

Kinda hard to tell. I cant find my magnifying glass to see the pics clearly. But from what I can see, I wouldnt worry too much.

I've debarked 'lil spots like that, then nailed the pieces back.

I've never followed up, and seen if they accepted my "regraft"

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

eseasdas, no sweat. that tree will be fine. i would just let it heal. probly several years before it it grown over, but that is exactly what will do. hard saying the exact variety from your (very tiny) images- maybe a silver maple. in any case it should be just fine. i'd just let it do its thing...

Probably a Sugar Maple. Yes it is damaged but longterm survival outlook is promising. Beat your children and sleep peacefully. ;)

Stumper said:
Probably a Sugar Maple. Yes it is damaged but longterm survival outlook is promising. Beat your children and sleep peacefully. ;)

And keep the axes and other sharp objects out of reach. :)

ANy jagged ragged edges, of wood or bark, should be trimmed.

MB's got the right ideas with the vaseline and duct tape and "regrafting", but these wounds are not so severe to try that "crazy" stuff.

Pic #523 shows a good buttress root to the left and a scary taper on the right side of the trunk at the base. You should dig the dirt away there until you see the trunk flare and the big roots formed.

Or you may see a big root wrapped around the trunk. Take a pic of that for us; it could be much more trouble for the tree than the ax job.

Latest posts

Back