Poor Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeseer said:
MB's got the right ideas with the vaseline and duct tape and "regrafting", but these wounds are not so severe to try that "crazy" stuff.

Ah-HA!

I knew it wasn't a dream!

The Oak man in me can't be held back. ;)

eeseasdas said:
Dig Where? how deep? Same tree another shot.
Like I said, "Pic #523 shows a good buttress root to the left and a scary taper on the right side of the trunk at the base. You should dig the dirt away there until you see the trunk flare and the big roots formed."

So dig on the side of the tree that does NOT have the big roots showing. there may be no problem, but you dhould uncover the main roots coming off the trunk on the other side. If they are growing away from and not around the trunk they are ok.

Also get a sharp tool to trace--trim away the jagged-- the damaged bark. I use a linoleum knife.

Ok against my husbands wishes I dug some at the base, but I just barely reached a large root, Im not sure if these pictures tell you anything? Anybody else have thoughts?? Is this tree ok? Its getting ready to rain should I fill in the hole?

The big root is growning away from the tree; this is good. the little roots that cross it or the trunk should be clipped off. yOu can put some soil back in, to cover the big root, but do not put any back against the trunk.

I can't explain why the buttress root on one side fo the trunk is so much higher than the one on the other side. Can anyone?

It's best to get an arborist on site to check this tree and your other tree, but yes, your tree looks ok from waaaay ove here.

Thank you, I will have someone come look at it... but its nice to know your thoughts, Im just a tree hugger my husband says, I do not know anything about them..

In the past, you learned a lot more about trees than most people ever learn their whole life!

You're always a welcome guest around here. Someone who comes, clearly describes the questions brings photos for us to see, takes our suggestions, THEN REPORTS BACK!!!!

A dream come true.

Any more questions?

love
nick

PS- Tell your son he's grounded until the scar is no longer visible!

Back