poplar for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got quite a bit of it cut/split right now, cuz it's FREE... Here's ONE of the piles,

standard.jpg

In fact, that's what I'm heating my house with right now...

SR

That is what our local gas station sells it for and I thought the DNR tag bundled with it said .75 cu ft! Whoever processes it for them has a good thing going they sell a lot of it even in the summer.
I sure I will be selling bundled Ash as the worm kills good Ash. go to Poplar wood for my Bundling business

Does White Poplar make good firewood? What's it worth $ per face cord? I have a few that need to be cut,and I thought I might as well make firewood out of it.I've never burned it in a woodstove.

I burn a lot of popple here (OWB), middle of the road for btu's for what's on my woodlot, it's very plentiful and handy so I don't pass it up; in fact, was out in the woods yesterday and an 18 incher had blown over within the last week or so due to the very wet ground conditions, that will get burned next season. However, when it's below zero I reach for the good stuff (hard maple, ironwood, yellow birch, oak). As someone else stated, it's awesome fuel for making maple syrup: fast and hot fire=quick boiling; my two favorite species for this are popple and basswood.

Oh, and popple is one of the top materials for sauna benches..........you can verify with your local oldtimers of Finnish descent. Found someone nearby who was willing to part with some 12" to 16" wide x 2" rough sawn popple he had cut off his farm many years ago....couple nights in the woodshop and had some dandy 10 footers for a double tier bench.

GEDC0015.JPG

I burn a lot of popple here (OWB), middle of the road for btu's for what's on my woodlot, it's very plentiful and handy so I don't pass it up; in fact, was out in the woods yesterday and an 18 incher had blown over within the last week or so due to the very wet ground conditions, that will get burned next season. However, when it's below zero I reach for the good stuff (hard maple, ironwood, yellow birch, oak). As someone else stated, it's awesome fuel for making maple syrup: fast and hot fire=quick boiling; my two favorite species for this are popple and basswood.

Oh, and popple is one of the top materials for sauna benches..........you can verify with your local oldtimers of Finnish descent. Found someone nearby who was willing to part with some 12" to 16" wide x 2" rough sawn popple he had cut off his farm many years ago....couple nights in the woodshop and had some dandy 10 footers for a double tier bench.

View attachment 374990
Aspen does make fantastic looking lumber.

It's interesting about the sauna bench thing. Around here it's always cedar. Other places I've heard basswood and in your area aspen. I guess whatever light, non sappy wood is available will work equally well.

Aspen does make fantastic looking lumber.

It's interesting about the sauna bench thing. Around here it's always cedar. Other places I've heard basswood and in your area aspen. I guess whatever light, non sappy wood is available will work equally well.
yep - those are the other two that round out the top three materials for sauna benches; we have a lot of all three around deer camp in the Yoop, but no handy means to mill 'em; the aspen was already rough cut so I bit on it; certainly would have been equally happy with the cedar or basswood; the old timers will tell you that in this neck of the woods, these three transfer the least amount of heat to your skin, and who knows more about saunas than the Finnish?

the old timers will tell you that in this neck of the woods, these three transfer the least amount of heat to your skin, and who knows more about saunas than the Finnish?
My dad (who was 7/8 Finn, 1/8 Swede) had a hat that said "You can always tell a Finn but you can't tell them much".

The old timer Finns (those now in their 90's and beyond) as a rule really knew the woods. When the fish would be running (to spear), where the deer breed (easy hunting), etc. Lots of little anecdotes to remember but sadly many have been lost over time.

Latest posts

Back