Poplar- Is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I was expecting 1 or 2 this morning. I think I will go ahead and get what I can from the tree. It's not punky or rotted at all, just came down in a storm so the wood is fresh. I can get my truck right next to it too. I can use it in the spring/fall to save our better oak & cherry. Maybe some campfires too!

I like burning poplar. I throw in 8-10 pieces in the owb, and throw in 3 pieces of hedge and it burns all night. if I burn only hedge all the wood turns to coals. then the coals smother each other. also the poplar I have smells really good when it burns.

always remember, there is more btu's in 10 pounds of softwood than 10 lbs of hardwood. the only exception is comparing hedge to cottonwood.

something about tulip when I see it I actually get mad, I hate splitting I hate the smell I don't even burn it in my fire pit. there are so many other species in your area to me its just a waste of time. if u wanted to get into milling that would be a good place to start

And from the other side, I love tulip and go out of my way to snag it when it falls! Just brought a wheelbarrow load of short splits for the little stove down to the house - there's nothing like it when you want a quick, hot fire. And as it warms up the stoves are not running 24/7, so it's great to have around when you are lighting a fresh fire more often.

And heck, there isn't anything easier to split haul and stack.

There is a reason this is the wood people liked to use for cook stoves.

I like burning poplar. I throw in 8-10 pieces in the owb, and throw in 3 pieces of hedge and it burns all night. if I burn only hedge all the wood turns to coals. then the coals smother each other. also the poplar I have smells really good when it burns.

always remember, there is more btu's in 10 pounds of softwood than 10 lbs of hardwood. the only exception is comparing hedge to cottonwood.

While that is true, depending on which species of hardwood and polular you're comparing its a moot point IMO. American aspen compared to white oak is nearly identical BTU/lb but you'll have to burn significantly more volume of popular to get the same heat. Specifically, you'll have to burn a little over 1.75 cord of Polular to match 1 cord of White Oak.

And it doesnt coal very well as others have noted. I agree though it does make good mild weather wood or as a fire starter but not something I'd mix in my wood pile, I'd keep it off to the side if I even bother with it...

I'm in MD too. I'm a bit of an Oak snob because I have a lot of it. i love to mill Poplar. I milled up 15 or16 planks from one that fell across my buddy's yard. Cut up everything I didn't mill. It burns pretty hot, and clean, and if I didn't have all this Oak, I'd use it. But, I can load my stove , packed tight, with Oak before I go to work and before I go to bed, and have hot coals waiting for me when I get back. Not with the Poplar. It will be out and cold to the touch. if you can tend your stove several times a day go for it, Joe,

Poplar is a great wood to burn. Quick high BTU's and takes a nights worth of coals down to dust. Did I mention it makes heat?

In most areas much colder than your locale, aspen, birch and conifers are the main source of heat.

Aspen, popple, poplar is good wood for an epa burner as it burns hot without coaling. Not so good in the owb, however.

Aspen, popple, poplar is good wood for an epa burner as it burns hot without coaling. Not so good in the owb, however.
It burns hot in any burner, and much better in the pre epa ones.

Poplar has its place in an owb also, ideal for early and late season hot water needs.

Agreed....I don't use popple during arctic cold snaps in the OWB but use it almost exclusively for early and late season heat and dhw. Its my favorite wood for the epa stove in my workshop, however

When I'm burning poplar or any of the lesser woods I like to keep a small amount of oak or hickory, etc. in the OWB to ensure having enough coals to reignite after a long idle, 2 pieces of oak topped with 6 pieces of poplar lasts a long time in April and will still light itself.

I've got a large felled one I need to cut up when the weather warms. It will be a good workout for the 441 and maybe even the ol' Mac, just so the neighbors will know I'm running a chainsaw... :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Along with what others have said, it also works good to burn down a large coal bed. Rake all the coals and throw on a couple nice dry splits of poplar and you'll have heat while burning down the coals.

We start a fire daily in a cold stove and find that poplar (mixed with hard wood) gets the thing going easily with far less smoke involved. Heats the house in short order and the neighbors don't get a ton of smoke from our chimney. I definitely bring poplar home from my jobs now.

Hey Cardboard burns but I wouldn't want to heat my house with it. ! Some wood is not worth messing with unless it's your only choice .. Maybe I'm a wood snob but I won't bother with species like Cottonwood poplar willow aspen ect. ... My time has great value to me ...Too much work and not enough return. Burning Firewood is hard enough I don't want to sweat in labor for half the burn times and btus of good wood like oak hickory cherry maple

Hey Cardboard burns but I wouldn't want to heat my house with it. ! Some wood is not worth messing with unless it's your only choice .. Maybe I'm a wood snob but I won't bother with species like Cottonwood poplar willow aspen ect. ... My time has great value to me ...Too much work and not enough return. Burning Firewood is hard enough I don't want to sweat in labor for half the burn times and btus of good wood like oak hickory cherry maple

I burn tulip poplar and pine during the day, and harder wood uglies in the evenings. Good straight clean hardwood splits can pay decent. And besides, I follow the "if I touch it, I stack it" deal here. I have to cut a variety of wood as part of my chores, so....easy enough to make separate stacks.

Back