Poplar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been cutting a few poplar a week in the goat pen. I like to put up about 8 cords a winter, half good stuff, half light stuff. Poplar makes good kindling, and dries really quickly after the goats eat the bark off.

I'm also cutting the pine.

Zog, since Dan didn't answer your plow question, they're heavy, lots of weight hanging way out in front of the front axle. Lotsa extra wear and tear with em bouncing around up there. Also they cut down on airflow through the radiator, can cause overheating if ya ain't careful. Unless you're actually plowing, or going somewhere to plow, it's just nicer to drop the dang thing off. Fancy new plows like I don't have are quick connect, makes it easy. Mine isn't even real bad, pull a couple pins and unhook a pair of hoses, drop the chain and drive away. Lining up to hook it back up can be a bit more challenging though.

Still beats the heck out of sitting on an open tractor seat when the temp's dropping and the wind's blowing like it usually does right after it stops snowing!

Nothing wrong with poplar.
Great shoulder wood for when it's not to cold at the start and end of season, lowish btu but real clean burning wood.
I've burnt about 1/2 cord of it already at the start of the season and will burn about another 1/2 at the end of the season.
Bonus when your splitting is the copious amounts of kindle it makes without effort for the entire season.

I have a ton of it on my property. Personaly I like taking the 4-8" diameter trees that are very straight, buck into 12-14" peices, place several of these rounds in a tire on my splitting log take the fiskars and make kindling. Sounds like a lot of work but in about 45 minutes of splitting can give me a year supply of really nice kindling. And for the larger or knotty rounds they go in the stove to get that morning fire going again.

Zog, since Dan didn't answer your plow question, they're heavy, lots of weight hanging way out in front of the front axle. Lotsa extra wear and tear with em bouncing around up there. Also they cut down on airflow through the radiator, can cause overheating if ya ain't careful. Unless you're actually plowing, or going somewhere to plow, it's just nicer to drop the dang thing off. Fancy new plows like I don't have are quick connect, makes it easy. Mine isn't even real bad, pull a couple pins and unhook a pair of hoses, drop the chain and drive away. Lining up to hook it back up can be a bit more challenging though.

Still beats the heck out of sitting on an open tractor seat when the temp's dropping and the wind's blowing like it usually does right after it stops snowing!

Thanks! You would think when I lived up norte I would have known this, but was guessing it was something like that. I just never paid any attention to it. Never plowed myself, shoveled a lot, thats it. Never ran a snowblower either. I got fast on putting chains on and taking them off though.

I wouldn't feel like its winter without a several good hours of freezing my butt off sitting on the tractor plowing out the house and barn. :laugh:

Seriously though, two winters ago, when we had this:

IMG_0291.jpg

And this:

IMG_0293.jpg

And this:

IMG_0295.jpg

It was awful handy having that loader to pick up and dump all that excess snow places you couldn't put it with a plow...

IMG_0289.jpg

Sorry Zog, my bad forgot all about the ??. Steve said it better any how. I also tend to over load everything. So no need going in long and heavy.

I never burned Poplar before, figured it wasn't worth the work of felling, trimming, etc. Last year, though, the local electric company did some clearing and, when asked, delivered to my house about 2 cords of polar logs. All I needed to do was split and stack. I'm glad I did. When dry, it's fine kindling and a decent enough fire. I wouldn't go out of my way to work on poplar, but I'll now include it in my early Fall and late Spring fires.

Sorry Zog, my bad forgot all about the ??. Steve said it better any how. I also tend to over load everything. So no need going in long and heavy.

Ok, another plow question...tell me you aint been tempted to ram some jerk in traffic..I know I would be...

Ok, another plow question...tell me you aint been tempted to ram some jerk in traffic..I know I would be...

Nope, never. Well maybe just once, OK, a few times, yeah pretty much all the time. One more reason to take it off, saves on insurance claims.

Nope, never. Well maybe just once, OK, a few times, yeah pretty much all the time. One more reason to take it off, saves on insurance claims.

Well, you just dont see snowplows down here, but you sure see some impressive ram 0 matic brush guards....

Pretty Poplar

Polar is pretty abundant here. I have never cut or split any until one fell across my garden.

I am going to save it for next years Kindling.

I wish all wood was that easy to split!!!!

My Fiskars just looked at it and if fell in half!!

Latest posts

Back