Popup vs Flat Top?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My outlook on this subject. From a different view. Whenever I order or build a motor for my street/strip car I go to the track and watch the different combo's run. Read dyno results, study different builds and desires of each build and my goals. I won't buy a set of cylinder heads if there are no dyno results against other cylinder heads. I want the best my money can buy.

My outlook on this subject. From a different view. Whenever I order or build a motor for my street/strip car I go to the track and watch the different combo's run. Read dyno results, study different builds and desires of each build and my goals. I won't buy a set of cylinder heads if there are no dyno results against other cylinder heads. I want the best my money can buy.

even with the dyno results there are so many variables to sift through...OAT, Density,fuels relative humidity ? is the dyno climate controlled ?

The dyno's I use are. But like I said I go to the track and watch the numbers. No variables if one if faster than the other. Same day, same tire or chain in this case. Clocks do not lie. Just as mph at the track does not lie.

Good!!! You and Brad are both getting on my last nerve. To be honest I think the both of you need to quit posting for a few days, as it seems neither of you have any self control. It's getting old, even to those you may call friends.

Than quit positing.

I will!! but this is still an open site you're not king here, or someone of moral superiority. You too Brad.

Just to be clear, people are free to post as they wish unless you say so. Is that correct?

The hypocrisy is strong with this one.

Builder wars are nothing new here. Saw builders come and saw builders go. This is just the latest version.
Give it a year or two and the cast of characters will change but the same mud slinging, temper tantrums, and personality disorders will show up again.
Hey, this is cool! I'm a johnny come lately, how long till I start having a fight with one of these other builders?
:crazy2: :buttkick: :laugh: :dumb: :dancing:

i sent one saw to randy and when i do another one it will go there too but here is food for thought.

what do the manufacturers use? A few domed pistons and lots flat tops. with the money they invest in R&D if a pop-up made more power i think we would see more saws with one from the factory.

i have been thinking about my statement above and decided something else might apply to it that has been brought up in this thread too.
Complete burn of the fuel in the chamber and the disturbance to the flow from a pop-up whether it be good or bad. Manufacturers have to meet EPA emissions standards and just looking at this without a full understanding of the work that Brad/Randy/Scott or any of the other builders do. It makes sense to me that if a pop-up helped the turbulence/mixing to give a more complete/even burn of the fuel the OEM's would use it. less raw fuel out the exhaust lowers emissions and increases power. does any of that make sense??

Hey, this is cool! I'm a johnny come lately, how long till I start having a fight with one of these other builders?
:crazy2: :buttkick: :laugh: :dumb: :dancing:

Any time you want. It's easy. Just post an idea or an opinion and somebody will argue with you. It doesn't make any difference if you're right or wrong or if the other guy's idea is better or worse. The argument is the important part.
The nice thing about all the pointless arguing is that it creates a lot of traffic and hits on AS and that pleases the owners of the site. Since the owners obviously care more about quantity than quality they encourage the childish bickering...it puts money in their pockets and AS, above all, is a business.
You want to argue with that? Go argue with yourself....I'm tired of it. :laugh:

Scott's point is totally true. If you want >200 PSI, cutting the squishband is how you do that, in most saws. I don't want that much compression, so don't need to use that tool. A popup makes more sense for my build goals. For those reasons, this whole debate makes no sense. IMHO, we're arguing something that doesn't really matter.

Scott didn't say the only benefit was more compression....

Any time you want. It's easy. Just post an idea or an opinion and somebody will argue with you. It doesn't make any difference if you're right or wrong or if the other guy's idea is better or worse. The argument is the important part.
The nice thing about all the pointless arguing is that it creates a lot of traffic and hits on AS and that pleases the owners of the site. Since the owners obviously care more about quantity than quality they encourage the childish bickering...it puts money in their pockets and AS, above all, is a business.
You want to argue with that? Go argue with yourself....I'm tired of it. :laugh:

Oh step off you old fart.

This internut saw porting stuff is serious.

Love, Randy

Like I said yesterday......I'm gonna try to leave the fussing about this stuff at the door when I check in here.

To be honest (and as everyone already knows) it's got far less to do with saws than it has to do with bad blood from days gone by. I'm bad to dwell on stuff.....and I never, ever let go of a resentment. Cross me today, and you have a enemy from now on. That's not healthy maybe, but it's true. That's likely the biggest issue here. I will try to let this go........I'm even sick of reading this crap.

Scott didn't say the only benefit was more compression....

He also mention mentioned flexibility in port timing. There's only one saw I'm concerned about this, and that's in a 660. On the rest of the models I port, it would simply mean more grinding, to simply get back where I started. There are other models where some builders want to lower the exhaust. I haven't found that need. I'm getting the gains I'm looking for without it. That's my opinion, my build style. No one else need feel threatened by that. I'm not saying other methods are wrong. That's simply how I do it. We're all building strong saws.

Like I said yesterday......I'm gonna try to leave the fussing about this stuff at the door when I check in here.

To be honest (and as everyone already knows) it's got far less to do with saws than it has to do with bad blood from days gone by. I'm bad to dwell on stuff.....and I never, ever let go of a resentment. Cross me today, and you have a enemy from now on. That's not healthy maybe, but it's true. That's likely the biggest issue here. I will try to let this go........I'm even sick of reading this crap.
And I know exactly where it started. Me. I was very unprofessional in how I handled the whole aftermarket cylinder fiasco. My opinion hasn't changed, but I should have kept my nose out of your business. Please accept my apologies. And please, bury that hatchet! :)

Back