Popup vs Flat Top?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then you're testing an entire build philosophy and not popups. You still haven't settled this argument. You're simply showed who can build a stronger saw.

How is it not settled? The piston when turned for a pop-up vs. a squish band cut is not an interchangeable idea. The argument is not just the piston. It's the method. And it's not who can build a stronger saw, that is settled by two different goobs porting the same model saw in a build-off.

Both Randy and Wiggs have offered to turn a squishband for me in order to test this as I outlined earlier. It would require the cost of a new piston, irreversible changes to the cylinder (which I'm ok with), about $100 in back and forth shipping charges to Chad, and two sessions on the dyno. I've simply not had the ambition to make it happen since I don't really see the need

What's funny is your lathe is about 10 times the lathe as both mine and Randy's....

You should learn to use it....

Do you guys overcut the bore or stay off it a little when cutting the squish? Seems like its gonna be kinda tough to get it perfectly centered so the rings can ride up the bore farther.

As an incredibly amateur machinist I can conclusively say pop ups are better.
I can do a pop up in 5 minutes in a 3 jaw chuck.
Cutting a squish band means making a plate to mount the cylinder, getting some sort of long nosed gauge down into the bore and then getting the damn thing spinning square in a mongrel bloody 4 jaw chuck. My head aches a little just thinking about it.
I'd just about pay the cost of porting, just to not have to set up for this for one cylinder.
To do this for you either want to be doing a lot of saws to make it worthwhile or be a confident and capable machinist.

I can set up and cut a squish band in 30 - 40 minutes.......it ain't rocket surgery.
That's my point. My lathe can sit for months without being used sometimes.
You've developed skills through practice, built/bought tooling.... Without that time investment it's a frustrating job. And doing it badly eats a cylinder that makes it uneconomical.

I'm not the one here desperately trying to prove that my methods are best and yours are not. You keep bringing the argument to me, so I keep answering. It's not been my contention that popups are better than cutting the squishband, but rather that it's simply not necessary. I simply don't understand why you're so desperate that everyone agree with you, and so desperate to prove me wrong. If you're that confident in your methodology, then fine. I don't have to be your enemy just because I don't agree and do things differently. The real issue here is not about a difference in saw building theory, it's about your need to be right and need to convince everyone else as well.

I'm not the one here desperately trying to prove that my methods are best and yours are not. You keep bringing the argument to me, so I keep answering. It's not been my contention that popups are better than cutting the squishband, but rather that it's simply not necessary. I simply don't understand why you're so desperate that everyone agree with you, and so desperate to prove me wrong. If you're that confident in your methodology, then fine. I don't have to be your enemy just because I don't agree and do things differently. The real issue here is not about a difference in saw building theory, it's about your need to be right and need to convince everyone else as well.

So, we do not have a deal?

Brad you do realize that you are posting in my thread........so how in the heck did I bring "the fight to you"?????

A year ago you said one thing.......then another......then today yet another.

The fact is that it takes longer.......time you are not willing to spend.

Latest posts

Back