Port my 361 or get a 462??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My honest opinion? If a guy is looking to run a 18-24 to cut firewood or limb and fell pulpwood/pine/hemlock, a ported 60 cc saw like a strong 361 is the ticket. They can be faster than a stock 70cc saw for that. The 462 is not a 60cc saw. Yes it is one of the lighter 70’s, but it is noticeably heavier than a 60cc saw both filled up with fuel because it holds more. It runs and handles similar to a 372xp OE 50mm really. The AV, chassis and oiler is better on the 462 if you want to run a 24/28 in hardwood, it has more grunt than a 60cc saw in hardwood. A ported 361 will pull a 28” in a pinch suprisingly well and oils it with the 460 oil pump. However the chassis isn’t really made for it and the AV is too soft for that size bar. I just wanted to test the limits with that 361, to see what it’s made of. In hardwood it is realistically a 20” bar saw and it will pull a lightweight 24” in pine all day long. You can port and soup up a saw to be a heck of a lot more powerful than a stocker, but at the end of the day the limitations are what the chassis was designed to handle.

My honest opinion? If a guy is looking to run a 18-24 to cut firewood or limb and fell pulpwood/pine/hemlock, a ported 60 cc saw like a strong 361 is the ticket. They can be faster than a stock 70cc saw for that. The 462 is not a 60cc saw. Yes it is one of the lighter 70’s, but it is noticeably heavier than a 60cc saw both filled up with fuel because it holds more. It runs and handles similar to a 372xp OE 50mm really. The AV, chassis and oiler is better on the 462 if you want to run a 24/28 in hardwood, it has more grunt than a 60cc saw in hardwood. A ported 361 will pull a 28” in a pinch suprisingly well and oils it with the 460 oil pump. However the chassis isn’t really made for it and the AV is too soft for that size bar. I just wanted to test the limits with that 361, to see what it’s made of. In hardwood it is realistically a 20” bar saw and it will pull a lightweight 24” in pine all day long. You can port and soup up a saw to be a heck of a lot more powerful than a stocker, but at the end of the day the limitations are what the chassis was designed to handle.
Well put.

With a 20” bar, I’d take a hot 361 or 036 all day long. Also if I needed a 28 in a pinch.

If I needed a 25+ bar all day long, it would be a 462 hands down.

Putting the 460 oiler on the 361 makes a huge difference as far as I’m concerned too. It’s the cherry on top of a great saw that doc did. 613CD9AC-DDA4-4956-AF07-F10419819DD6.png460 oiler part number. It makes the ported 361 capable of running a long bar in a pinch if it’s a guy’s only saw. Just let it work at its pace, sharp chain.

Hi guys, I'm debating whether to port my existing 361 (nice, low hour saw) or use that $$$$ towards a 462??
First of all, I only need to be able to pull a 25" buried bar decently through hardwood, nothing bigger is necessary.
I guess my biggest question is whether porting makes THAT big of a difference on the 361? To me personally (because I have MS and my left arm is weak), I like the idea of a light saw, but with shipping, etc, I'll be halfway to the price of a 462....any thoughts/input appreciated, THANKS!
Cutting firewood here with an older body & back pain, I'd much rather run a ported 60 over any 70cc saw & do just that.

UPDATE: Got to try a few saws out today while cutting at my friends house. We felled, limbed and bucked 30 ash trees up to 25" in diameter.
I have this feeling people are gonna think I'm nuts, but here are my impressions of the saws I got to use:

my 026: bought this new back in '99, only has a muffler mod....love this saw, not a powerhouse by any means, but never ceases to amaze me how much firewood this little guy can make, but in all honesty it's seemed almost like a toy compared to the bigger stuff I got to try.

my 361: got it two months ago, bought it from the original owner, excellent condition low hour saw, i modded the muffler, otherwise all stock...LOVE the AV on it, I was impressed with this saw, until....

friends completely stock 362: this saw amazed me how much more grunt it has than my 361, and this saw is completely stock....like if i looked at my 361 the wrong way it will stall the chain. 362 i could start the cut without having to zing the engine to the moon, i LIKE that. And noticeably lighter than my 361! but I blame that on my bar, has to be! 362 has a 20" rollomatic E, while my 361 has a 20" ES. but this saw still needs more power...

461: Here's where I'm gonna get fried....
completely stock, maybe a year old...heavier than 361/2, but not THAT much heavier, was pleasantly surprised - the weight was not a dealbreaker, but after reading so much about these, i expected to have to hang on to dear life and chase this thing down when it leaps out of my hands - this saw is NOT the widowmaker i was led to believe.....i was actually NOT impressed with the power...sure i could lean on it more that 361/2, but i could still easily snuff the chain out if i lean hard enough...definitely buzzier (yuk) than 361/2. was just not impressed all around with this saw, flame away....maybe because my expectations were soooooo high???

661: heavy, but again not unbearably heavy, this saw you can lean on, no doubt about it.....what a gas hog.....i simply do not need something this big though.

i didn't think i could even look at my 026 afterwards, but i went back out and cut with it, ya it's definitely a toy, but not that bad of a saw! you can actually lean on it since it has such a linear powerband compared to my 361, you know when to ease up on it.
i feel very little love for my 361, ya she rips, but that powerband is sooooo narrow, for my style of leaning on a saw, i need low end torque....my suspicion is that a port job on my 361 will NOT improve any low end grunt??? yes or no?

would LOVE to try a 462 now!

UPDATE: Got to try a few saws out today while cutting at my friends house. We felled, limbed and bucked 30 ash trees up to 25" in diameter.
I have this feeling people are gonna think I'm nuts, but here are my impressions of the saws I got to use:

my 026: bought this new back in '99, only has a muffler mod....love this saw, not a powerhouse by any means, but never ceases to amaze me how much firewood this little guy can make, but in all honesty it's seemed almost like a toy compared to the bigger stuff I got to try.

my 361: got it two months ago, bought it from the original owner, excellent condition low hour saw, i modded the muffler, otherwise all stock...LOVE the AV on it, I was impressed with this saw, until....

friends completely stock 362: this saw amazed me how much more grunt it has than my 361, and this saw is completely stock....like if i looked at my 361 the wrong way it will stall the chain. 362 i could start the cut without having to zing the engine to the moon, i LIKE that. And noticeably lighter than my 361! but I blame that on my bar, has to be! 362 has a 20" rollomatic E, while my 361 has a 20" ES. but this saw still needs more power...

461: Here's where I'm gonna get fried....
completely stock, maybe a year old...heavier than 361/2, but not THAT much heavier, was pleasantly surprised - the weight was not a dealbreaker, but after reading so much about these, i expected to have to hang on to dear life and chase this thing down when it leaps out of my hands - this saw is NOT the widowmaker i was led to believe.....i was actually NOT impressed with the power...sure i could lean on it more that 361/2, but i could still easily snuff the chain out if i lean hard enough...definitely buzzier (yuk) than 361/2. was just not impressed all around with this saw, flame away....maybe because my expectations were soooooo high???

661: heavy, but again not unbearably heavy, this saw you can lean on, no doubt about it.....what a gas hog.....i simply do not need something this big though.

i didn't think i could even look at my 026 afterwards, but i went back out and cut with it, ya it's definitely a toy, but not that bad of a saw! you can actually lean on it since it has such a linear powerband compared to my 361, you know when to ease up on it.
i feel very little love for my 361, ya she rips, but that powerband is sooooo narrow, for my style of leaning on a saw, i need low end torque....my suspicion is that a port job on my 361 will NOT improve any low end grunt??? yes or no?

would LOVE to try a 462 now!

Not surprised that the 362 was your favorite over the 361 given your described cutting style. The weight difference is likely just perception unless the new 362 is lighter than the old ones. Fully loaded the 361 is lighter than the first generation 362. I have weighed them and want to say almost 2# but I don’t recall, The weights are posted somewhere here. Folks took issue that I weighed them with full tanks and bars, but I have never cut with a fuel-less saw.

Unless you are in the market for an old reed saw or gear drive, I suggest you change your technique and let the saw cut in its sweet zone otherwise you will always be disappointed.

Ron

Poor memory on my part, the weight of the 361 is very close to the first generation 362 when fully fueled. The 361 looks smaller.

From my 2016 post:

"Just out of curiosity, I topped off with fuel and oil all three models and weighed them with 20" bars on the bathroom scales. Bear in mind that the 036 holds 625cc of fuel and 320cc of oil, the 361 holds 685cc of fuel and 325cc of oil, and the 362 holds 600cc of fuel and 325cc of oil. The 362 was wearing a green bar while the other two were wearing yellow bars. I assume the green bar is lighter but I don't know.

The results: 036Pro right at 18 1/4#; 361 right at 17 3/4#; and 362 just over 18#."

Ron

PS. Extra fuel alone adds 2+ oz to the 361 over the 362, but it needs it. My 362s sip fuel.

Latest posts

Back