port timing for modded saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look, I told you already that you can't put an 090 cylinder on a Poulan 53 case. Beside the fact that it's a lot of work, Hans-Peter Stihl would probably show up wanting to confiscate your saws...

I think your ideas are solid and I would say go for it.

awesome.
i have already taken steps. the biggest hurdle (i asked you about it)
had been completed.

you have it backwards though. it was a 53 on the 090 case.:chainsawguy:

I'm pretty sure those are port opening times after TDC. Durations are usually in the 150-165° range on exhaust for a lot of modern saws.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Some people word and think differently in timing and durations.

awesome.
i have already taken steps. the biggest hurdle (i asked you about it)
had been completed.

you have it backwards though. it was a 53 on the 090 case.:chainsawguy:

:monkey:

Thanks, that's what I thought. Some people word and think differently in timing and durations.

When I first came here, I wasn't using a degree wheel. I was measuring port height in relation to the squish band with a small machinists' rule in mm. I was just about laughed out of here by "experienced" builders.

When I first came here, I wasn't using a degree wheel. I was measuring port height in relation to the squish band with a small machinists' rule in mm. I was just about laughed out of here by "experienced" builders.

ha ha. What ever works though. sometimes different is good.

degree wheel sounds easier though.

i think it goes without saying that once my p/c are assembled the way i like i will be calling on a few of you to tell me what my degree wheel numbers mean.
of course i need to get the most important parts from 'france' before that happens. they must be held up in customs. :)

sidenote:
i have a second set of these 'parts' in the works in different country. my intentions are to 'spread the love' and send them to someone else with a similar build going on.
:cheers:

i think it goes without saying that once my p/c are assembled the way i like i will be calling on a few of you to tell me what my degree wheel numbers mean.
of course i need to get the most important parts from 'france' before that happens. they must be held up in customs. :)

sidenote:
i have a second set of these 'parts' in the works in different country. my intentions are to 'spread the love' and send them to someone else with a similar build going on.
:cheers:

FRANCE?!! Dang it must be special if your sourcing from France.

Yah, either way works as long as you take your base numbers and keep track of where you're putting things. :)

Right, I guess I did it similar, I did a port map then entered the measurements into a port timing calculator, just the same measuring port heights with a map. I found I just couldn't be consistent with my measurements on a port map, the pencil lines just didn't do it for me.

6" rule or verniers I use at times to do a quick check from one cyl to another (OEM to an aftermarket) or checking against a port map.

I use a CD/DVD depending on whether I hate the album or movie. :)

I use Blue Tac and the pointer to centralize the wheel, but yes, it must be central.

ha ha. What ever works though. sometimes different is good.

degree wheel sounds easier though.

Works just the same and is how a lot of race two strokes used to be built, you just do a calc or two (can't remember ??) to convert to degrees if you want to.

FWIW all race kart ignition timing used to always be expressed as a linear measurement, eg 0.5mm BTDC as they all use central plugs and you drop a dial indicator onto the piston, then move the magy coil (on the old ones)

Port maps for me are more of a "big picture" reference. I find measuring the ports hands on gives me real physical dimensions that I can decipher in the ol' brain box.

Sorry been watching a train wreck. Morbid curiosity kicking in here.

Yes, I should try just to measure it. I didn't like the port map way.

yup.
paris, france.

You sure its Paris, not PARRIS. LOL

Back