Ported 262 starts hard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomedik

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My little 262 project is coming together, but starting it is difficult as it seems to want to fire early, as if the ignition is too advanced. Checked and rechecked the airgap, swapped coils, retarded the coil as far as the screw holes allow. Fires early, threatens to break the rope or the recoil.

Ideas??:bowdown:

I've had the flywheel off, and timing is as delivered, not intentionally advanced. If it slipped it would retard, 'least that's what usually happens?
Thanks for the reply, bit more info...
The squish is a bit tight (.017") Found the thickness gasket to correct this. (tomorrow)
Should mention that I suspect the crank a wee bit old.

Last edited:
Thing runs GREAT once running, but the squish is tight, even though I had to try it, it's coming apart again. (Before it takes it self apart!)
Ran before with stock cylinder and used piston, and remember it starting the same way, not as bad, figured it was the aftermarket coil, so I swapped an oem, which came from a 257.

Check your rope pulley. It could be spread causing the rope to jam on its self. Too thin of a rope can cause th

e same problem.

Latest posts

Back