ported 395xp vs ported 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking at getting rid of a few of my older saws and picking up a 395 or 660. It would be a stump saw for the most part and run a 42" bar from time to time but for the most part a 28 or 36". I have an 066 with a dual port and like it but was thinking of porting a saw or possibly having it ported. Leaning towards 395 because I don't have one and would like to try. Does one make bigger and or easier gains over the other with porting? Thanks

Yep. But for what you are describing I would have to go with the 395. Huge saw in a"big" body. If you were using it 1-2 hours / day.., I'm good. If it gets any more use, I'd go the MS 660/661 for durability in big/ long cuts. You can't go wrong with either.

42" for me would be a 395. A 660 will pull it if you can keep the bar oiled.

Sounds like 395 may be the way to go. Can I get decent gains by widening intake and exhaust oorts

Sounds like 395 may be the way to go. Can I get decent gains by widening intake and exhaust oorts
Not much more than a muffler mod. Setting the timing and adjusting the squish will make a lot bigger difference.

Both saws will do. It is matter of time. If you put HO oiler on 660 they will oil equal. And all is how much saw do you need 90% of time.

I realize they strong and will do as is.......I just like the thrill of a really strong,(ported) saw.

Stihl MS660 Chainsaw Ported:

New 395XP:

Husqvarna 390XP 36 B&C Bucking:

To get that Stihl bar to fit the 395 did you have to lengthen the slot in the bar or anything. For The 395 I recently acquired I had to add two links in a 36" chain to get it to fit on my bar. I'm thinking I'll have to extend the bar slot to use 114 link chains. Also...where did you get the spacers for the studs...I'm using the cheesy coil spacers you get with a Sugi bar.

This thread is making me want a 395. Wonder if they make a homeowner version.

To get that Stihl bar to fit the 395 did you have to lengthen the slot in the bar or anything. For The 395 I recently acquired I had to add two links in a 36" chain to get it to fit on my bar. I'm thinking I'll have to extend the bar slot to use 114 link chains. Also...where did you get the spacers for the studs...I'm using the cheesy coil spacers you get with a Sugi bar.
I didn't mod the bar at all. I use the aluminum adapter that Bailey's sells. I don't remember the DL count.

Back