Ported String trimmer???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I used the search but couldn't find much on this subject.

How many of you have ported a string trimmer?

Last fall, in a hurry, I purchased a Ryobi BC30 (I think) string trimmer.
It ran great on the sidewalk and did fair if the grass didn't need cutting. If you got into anything thick or tall it would fall on its face and you would have to feed it into the grass REALLY slow.
This past weekend I decided to see if any improvement could be made in its performance. I cut small flathead screwdriver slots in the adjustment screws and fiddled with the carb settings and it really helped, but it still seemed choked down.

Some of you know that I have been trying my hand at some shade tree chainsaw porting so while it was raining this afternoon I thought to myself...."Self, lets tear that trimmer down and open it up a bit and see if it helps it, as much as it does a chainsaw".

When I pulled the muffler on it I could only stare and shake my head. The hole in the end of my....................................................soda straw... is bigger that the exhaust port in that engine was!

I took a few measurements and widened the port about 5-6 mm, smoothed things out a bit, modded the muffler and stuck her back together.

The difference it made in that trimmer was INCREDIBLE!
I would never have believed it if I hadn't done it myself. It sounded real good in the shop so I took it out back and put it into some thick WET fescue and it bogged down a couple hundred rpm and then it felt like a tractor that the governor started opening up on.
The harder I pushed it, the louder it got, and I had to really try hard to stall it.
I know that it will probably find the weakness in the clutch, shaft or gear head before long but until then it is a HORSE.
Now I am anxious for the weather to dry up so I can give it a workout.

Mike

I did an old stilh i think it was a 95 somthin or other model i got from the dump. Just opened up the muffler and and ported it a little. kinda just for chits an giggles. ... .Ended up being pritty good but its dead now.

Thats awesome man - lol - modding the weed wacker!?? Nice!! :clap:

I'd rep you if "the man" would let me! :chainsaw:

My FS75 trimmer is muffler modded. The Redmax 2500 blower I recently got as a box of parts is ported and running great. It turns about 1300 RPMs more than my 2601. Part of that is due to the muffler restrictor plate they added, the rest is from the porting. The ports are so small that I couldn't use my grinder at all. It was all done with a chainsaw file, and then bevelled with a round stone. Starts on the first or second pull after setting for days and has almost no cold naturedness. The stock 2601 is very cold natured right when first started.

I know how to tune a chainsaw but how do you tune a modded blower since it is always under load?

My FS75 trimmer is muffler modded. The Redmax 2500 blower I recently got as a box of parts is ported and running great. It turns about 1300 RPMs more than my 2601. Part of that is due to the muffler restrictor plate they added, the rest is from the porting. The ports are so small that I couldn't use my grinder at all. It was all done with a chainsaw file, and then bevelled with a round stone. Starts on the first or second pull after setting for days and has almost no cold naturedness. The stock 2601 is very cold natured right when first started.

totaly off topic here, but since you tuned my 4000, anything you can share on my Poulan thread would be greatly appreciated.

You need to "Snellerize" that FS75 and do some timed cuts LOL.

You are the scoundrel that got me addicted to removing perfectly good metal from cylinders. You are just a "porting pusher".

(And I thank you for it)

Mike

I muffler modded my old Weedeater xt90 31cc string trimmer last fall,it woke it up and sounds alot better now.I just bought a new Troy-Built gas hand blower and the first thing the wife asked was when are you going to mod it.I told her I can't because it doesn't have any carb adjustments except for the idle:mad:

lol

I was just looking at my free 'weed eater g22(?)' thinking that I really need to blow it up. I just messed with the carb not too long ago and it runs half decent now, so I figure why not.

Is there a DIY porting thread anywhere?

I muffler modded my wallyworld $50 leaf blower. Big improvment. I also have a ryobi trimmer (31cc i think) that I recently opened the muffler up. I love this trimmer. It was bought ne in 1991 by my parents and it is stronger today that ever. Not too many elcheapo gas tools last that long. +1 for ryobi

lol

I was just looking at my free 'weed eater g22(?)' thinking that I really need to blow it up. I just messed with the carb not too long ago and it runs half decent now, so I figure why not.

Is there a DIY porting thread anywhere?

There are several REAL good porting threads.
Naturally you will have to adapt/substitute trimmer for chainsaw but the basics are the same.

Mike

i knew theres a reason im here, i was feeling very much alone till finding this site

Back