Ported work saw compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the highest compression you can go on a ported work saw?I have heard some high numbers like 250 to 280psi on a ported work saw and am interested to know if they are true.

I can't imagine tring to pull over a saw that has 280lbs. of comp.
I've heared on here, there is a guy said he had a 357 w/ 220lbs.
Most run about 180-190 from what I've seen.

I would think the cord wouldn't like that too much. Ive seen over 200 but that was with oil soaked rings. My highest compression saw is 185psi cold, just a gasket-less Muffler modded 026. No porting. I can't imagine 250 psi, my elbow and shoulder would hate me.

my 346 was ported a few years back and has cut many semiloads of wood, compression has fallen to 220 from 240 and I can feel the difference-

it is easier to start now, but has the original starter cord and no compression release

If it is a saw that anyone may pickup and use I like to keep them in the 175-185 range. I have a few personal saws and they are in the low 200's. One special 5000 Partner is at 240. No trouble blocking a cord of wood at a time with it, but, I know what it is.

I just built a Husky 262 for a friend that left here pulling 210 on one gauge and 200 on the other.
The 200 gauge has tested really close to some $$$$$ gauges so I believe it to be the correct one.
Sure will make your eyes bug out when you turn the gauge over and see 210 on it!

Mike

The 066 I built as a pipe saw was pushing 245 lbs. with the pipe. It got hot in a hurry. About 5 cuts and it would smoke a piston in 8x8 poplar.

I ran a MS460 I built with 215lbs compression for 6 months falling timber, the cylinder eventually cracked, but is was a horse.

I redone my 257 with a 262 top end and dropped squish to 22 thousands and I use it religiously and love it , It tests out at A little over 200.

Back