Porting my stihl 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, if the bearings are tight and smooth, I would not go separating cases. The issue is that they could feel smooth, and have a ticking time bomb between the bearing and seal. As soon as he splashes any fuel in there, it will chase debris right in. I'd pull the seals for sure, but that is just me. Those fibers are designed to be abrasive. It is not like there are a few bits of wood pulp that fell in. To each his own.
Great thanks for the tip. I will try doing this. Even though I run these everyday, this is the first time I have ever tore on completely apart to do anything.

sent from my STIHL 660 using Tapatalk

Did you alter port widths or port timing at all?
Did not alter the width on the exhaust port top to bottom but made the width side to side .01 wider. I am not planning on messing with the timing.

I realize that you have to start somewhere, but I would not expect any measurable gains. You will have to do more than that to see improvements. It's been shared in detail what it takes to make a 460 really run.

I just wasn't sure about how much material to take out? I did know that you don't want to take to much off the top bottom of the exhaust port because it will really throw your timing for a loop. I also didn't want to take to much of something that I can't replace.

When whitmore removes the gasket and reduces the squish will that alter the port timings noticeably? also what is the most you could remove from the sides of the inlet and exhaust ports, and would this give any reasonable gains. I know it has probably been discussed before but after the hack attack a lot is no longer available, not meaning to impose on your thread whitmore, the info may be useful to you too regards andy

When whitmore removes the gasket and reduces the squish will that alter the port timings noticeably? also what is the most you could remove from the sides of the inlet and exhaust ports, and would this give any reasonable gains. I know it has probably been discussed before but after the hack attack a lot is no longer available, not meaning to impose on your thread whitmore, the info may be useful to you too regards andy
These are the answers I am looking for too. Anybody got any Intel on measurements on the inlet and exhaust ports. Also what about the transfer ports. I have seen some that are kinda shaved down along with the sides of the piston.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You can't remove the base gasket and still have sufficient clearance.
Even though its tempting to try because some guys said it would be fine as long as I checked the squish I think I will stay away from that the first time.

Even though its tempting to try because some guys said it would be fine as long as I checked the squish I think I will stay away from that the first time.

Your looking at approximately .032-.034 stock squish. The base gasket is .017, take that away and your bottomed out.

I think mine is .028" stock so no gasket when hot is going to crash. Send the cylinder off to get machined and then port it yourself.

This is what I was talking about on the transfer ports. The sides of the piston are also filed down. What does this accomplish? Beside more power. Will doing something like this effect your timing?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386734637121.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386734637121.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 42
This is what I was talking about on the transfer ports. The sides of the piston are also filed down. What does this accomplish? Beside more power. Will doing something like this effect your timing?

This is off my other saw that I had a friend of a friend hop up for me. It runs like a rapped ape! I just am trying to do one of my other saws myself, learning step by step.

Lowering those transfers lets charge enter earlier. I've never heard of shaving the sides of the piston.

So I have never messed with the timing on any of my saws, there for have no idea how to do it. So that is the one thing I am worried about having to mess with doing these mods. Lowering the transfers letting charge enter earlier would effect the timing wouldn't it?

u4ary6en.jpg
egy7y7um.jpg
dy3upamy.jpg
vaha8uby.jpg

Some of my progress thus far. Still don't know if I should mess with the transfer ports or not? I also ended up taking the case down to the saw shop this afternoon to have them split it and put new bearings in it. A close look at it and it looked a Lil blue. So I figured what the hell, might as well do it well I have it apart.

u4ary6en.jpg
egy7y7um.jpg
dy3upamy.jpg
vaha8uby.jpg

Some of my progress thus far. Still don't know if I should mess with the transfer ports or not? I also ended up taking the case down to the saw shop this afternoon to have them split it and put new bearings in it. A close look at it and it looked a Lil blue. So I figured what the hell, might as well do it well I have it apart.

Not much progress but it has taken a greenhorn quite a bit to get this Lil bit accomplished.

Back