Porting the 361 Big Bore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take 99.9% of my pics with a 24-105L IS lens. That's 90% of the picture quality right there. Good light is always a challenge. I really should get a good macro lens for all the closeup shots I'm always taking. The big DSLR sensor fights you though with a much more shallow field of view. A guy really needs to use a tripod and small aperature to get good pics of the work we do.

Dang that's a nice lens. I don't have any L series lens's. Too much $$ for me. I can do pretty good with what I got. With all my saw photos, I usually get lazy and just use my Canon A720is

I often think it would be easier with a point and shoot in macro mode. The smaller sensor gives a much greater depth of field, leaving everything in focus.

Yes, that's why I use it. The macro functionality is much better, easier to use, better results, but if you have a full setup for macro for your DSLR then use that, but I don't. Maybe, my next build, I'll break out the SLR and try it, I've actually never used it to shoot my saws.

Higher F stop is key to depth of focus when using macro or closeup lenses. Flash can be difficult to aim correctly when looking inside of bores etc.

The smaller 1/2 frame sensors increase the efective focal length of the DSLR lenses, which decreases depth of focus. Example.. my 100mm macro is actually 150 on my DSLR.

I use either a desk halogen (or very bright incandesent with the correct camera setting) and/or a remote handheld flash. And.. a tripod, so i can slow down the shutter speed for higher F stop. For a bore... don't be shy about shining a second or thrid light though inlet, spark hole and exhaust. The secondary light output needs to be balanced with the main source, but that's not hard (dimmer, neutral density filters etc).

Don't be afraid to crank up your camera ISO to gain higher F stops.

Last edited:
Higher F stop is key to depth of focus when using macro or closeup lenses. Flash can be difficult to aim correcly when looking inside of bores etc.

The smaller 1/2 frame sensors increase the efective focal length of the DSLR lenses, which decreases depth of focus. Example.. my 100mm macro is actually 150 on my DSLR.

I use either a desk halogen (or very bright incandesent with the correct camera setting) and/or a remote handheld flash. And.. a tripod, so i can slow down the shutter speed for higher F stop.

Don't be afraid to crank up your camera ISO to gain higher F stops.

Which camera are you using. Wouldn't it be 160mm?? My Canon, I thought the sensor was 1.6x not 1.5x

How about a piece of electrical tape over the flash?

You can sometimes get good results by cheating a softbox too by using a piece of white paper. One of the problems with shiny objects is the light source coming from one point and it's too powerful and harsh. Try holding a piece of white paper not directly on the flash, but between the lens and the flash point to allow the flash to illuminate that sheet of paper.

This will give you a flashbox diffuser effect and can make a big difference. I do this now and then with my on board flash in when tinkering in the office.

I do have too many camera toys, but a ring flash isn't one of them.... yet.
cameragearss2.jpg

Cameras was a previous obsession...Had two kids and some 20K clicks later a small arsenal of attachments. At least they hold their value, wish I could say the same for my dirt bikes.

Sold a few lenses, I just like my primes and a good flash anymore.

Sorry about being off topic...

Last edited:
You can sometimes get good results by cheating a softbox too by using a piece of white paper. One of the problems with shiny objects is the light source coming from one point and it's too powerful and harsh. Try holding a piece of white paper not directly on the flash, but between the lens and the flash point to allow the flash to illuminate that sheet of paper.

This will give you a flashbox diffuser effect and can make a big difference. I do this now and then with my on board flash in when tinkering in the office.

I do have too many camera toys, but a ring flash isn't one of them.... yet.
cameragearss2.jpg

Cameras was a previous obsession...Had two kids and some 20K clicks later a small arsenal of attachments. At least they hold their value, wish I could say the same for my dirt bikes.

Hey... that look like my shelf!!!! except... they are all Nikon and I also have the ring flash:cheers:

Like we say to Husky guys that like to beat on stihl -have you ever owed one [pro Nikon]?:greenchainsaw:

BTW... I have several lenses that make 088's look cheap... :jawdrop:

Which one do you have. If you were serious, you'd have a full frame sensor. Doesn't sound like you do.

But for what I do in photography, my setup is plenty. It'll easily do more then my experience will allow, that goes for most people actually.

Which one do you have. If you were serious, you'd have a full frame sensor. Doesn't sound like you do.

But for what I do in photography, my setup is plenty. It'll easily do more then my experience will allow, that goes for most people actually.

That's very true for almost everyone!

Full frame sensors are nice but have little practical effect on my work other than messing up the low end of my 17-35 F2.8:mad: A full frame sensor is in my future, but the dow needs to be back over 12k again, or I sell my 088;)

Back