Porting the 361 Big Bore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which one do you have. If you were serious, you'd have a full frame sensor. Doesn't sound like you do.

But for what I do in photography, my setup is plenty. It'll easily do more then my experience will allow, that goes for most people actually.

And give up sensor density and the crop factor? I still see both formats as having their place.

Oh yeah, another vote for Nikon!

BTW, for you guys wanting a dedicated macro lens but don't want to fork out the $, look into a Canon 500D. It works like a filter that can be screwed onto the end of a telephoto lens and converts it to a macro. It's fairly cheap, easy to pack with you, and works well. ;)

Last edited:
That's very true for almost everyone!

Full frame sensors are nice but have little practical effect on my work other than messing up the low end of my 17-35 F2.8:mad: A full frame sensor is in my future, but the dow needs to be back over 12k again, or I sell my 088;)

Ya, I'll agree. Full frame is just outa my league.

I actually prefer my 1.6 crop. I like the long end of the lens more than the short. I just don't have any need to work that wide. I had a 10-22 and sold it.

aaahh man. I'm looking for a good deal on a 10-22. Widest I got now is a 17. I really enjoy wide angle photo's. Anybody here tried a lightbox for P&C shots?? I'd llike to make one and try it out. You can get very cool photographs with a lightbox.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the photography tips! although I only get about 30% of it!
I know this went off topic but I learned allot! Thanks guy's!!!
P.S a fancy camera costs as much as say a new 2171!!!! Got my Oxy and the garage is warming up thanks to the wood I cut.:)

It wil be a while before the FX sensors are affordable. D3X is $7999 right now. Kinda silly though, if you need full frame any SLR loaded with color slide film will get the job done. Not as convenient, but it save you about $7700!!

It wil be a while before the FX sensors are affordable. D3X is $7999 right now. Kinda silly though, if you need full frame any SLR loaded with color slide film will get the job done. Not as convenient, but it save you about $7700!!

Well.. for an FX sensor based camera.. you are about $6K too high;) Check out the D700...

http://www.fotoconnection.com/p90133-nikon-d700-121-megapixel-dslr-camera-body-072x-zoom.html

Hmmmm... Sell my 088... scrounge up a couple more $$, and press the "buy-it-now button"..

Last edited:
Nope.. except for some boring pics of a lathe rebuild.

I do have about 8K images on my laptop, 8k of slides and about 5K of negatives... All that proves is that I'm old.

I use a D80 for work, but would love to have a D90 for my own. I'v been sticking a little cash in an envelope for one.

Time for a little more 361BB talk:). I finished putting it together tonight. I filled it with 100LL and fired it up. It idles nicely and throttle response is good. Compression is 175 cold and 165 hot. I'm surprised it's still that high after raising the exhaust 5*, which equals about .055". I only had that one little piece of Poplar left to cut on. Not near enough to do any significant testing. A quick glance at the tach showed it holding >13K in the cut with an aggressive square ground chain. Yet I can push down and lug it and it keeps right on cutting. Looks like it's got a good powerband. Again, I haven't been able to run it enough to know for sure, but it looks like it's going to turn 15,500-15,800 @ WOT. As soon as get a chance to do some testing with the OEM ported 361, I've got some more tricks up my sleeve for the winner. Just a little teaser there for ya:). No pics or vids yet. I've got to get a test log to continue.

Time for a little more 361BB talk:). I finished putting it together tonight. I filled it with 100LL and fired it up. It idles nicely and throttle response is good. Compression is 175 cold and 165 hot. I'm surprised it's still that high after raising the exhaust 5*, which equals about .055". I only had that one little piece of Poplar left to cut on. Not near enough to do any significant testing. A quick glance at the tach showed it holding >13K in the cut with an aggressive square ground chain. Yet I can push down and lug it and it keeps right on cutting. Looks like it's got a good powerband. Again, I haven't been able to run it enough to know for sure, but it looks like it's going to turn 15,500-15,800 @ WOT. As soon as get a chance to do some testing with the OEM ported 361, I've got some more tricks up my sleeve for the winner. Just a little teaser there for ya:). No pics or vids yet. I've got to get a test log to continue.

"i see you have constrcted a new light sabre........."

awaiting the vids and timed results.
:yourock:

The trial has been had and the verdict is in. I ran my ported OEM P&C against my ported 361BB tonight. Both saws wore the same 20" bar and round ground Stihl 33RSC chain. Both saws start and run well. One is a clear leader. Which one is it:popcorn:

Last edited:
Looks good.

Is the chain sharp? It looks like either the depth gauges are too high or the wood is dead, dry locust.

The second saw sounds pretty lean.

Back