Possible HT-101 pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CsClimbr

Ex-Climber with CAD
Reaction score
Bought a new house and started renovating recently. Old estate sale after the ole man keeled over on the crapper and wasn’t found for almost a week.. (new neighbor took great pleasure in telling me this story the day after we closed :eek:)

Long story short, after being screwed around on the closing. What I believe to be left behind was a very dirty HT101 or even 131 (can barely make out the old decal but second # is either a 1 or 3) flippy caps & all.. with no labels, stickers all worn off etc, left laying outside hidden in the high grass.

My girls uncle grabbed it up, took it back to his shop hoping to fuel it and run it but with the primer bulb rotted (I’d assume the fuel lines in same condish), bar & chain rusted, broken choke lever & rear handle.. it was a no go. “Almost impossible to pull over with spark plug in it” he says..

It’ll come back with me for a peek up it’s pooper to start, but I plan to tear right into it no matter what it looks like cause I like ‘em clean & shiny and new parts wherever needed.

Are these pole saws worth a build? Any easy way to identify them? Good used parts readily available? I know you guys (& gals) would be the best source to ask :cheers:

Not in my hands at the moment but after a very quick once over last week it looked much like a 101 I’ve recently seen on FB marketplace.. I’ll grab some pics and dig deeper for some numbers or identifiers in the next couple of days.

Thanks in advance, as I have zero experience with these things but eager to dig in. Also, my apologies if posted in the wrong place

Find and put up the serial number, and a pic of the engine.

Looking at it again I wanna say I’m seeing an HT-131 on the recoil housing with the only other number etched in dots & barely readable 279296021 on the metal casing, would that be what I’m looking for on these pole types?

948F10E7-9635-45BE-9585-0413894AE9C3.jpeg

I would say it's worth fixing since it didn't cost you anything. I paid $600 plus tax for my ht 131 when I bought it.
I don't know if you know it, but those are 4 mix engines with valves and plastic camshaft. I didn't know mine was a. 4 mix until after I bought it. The Stihl dealer failed to mention that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I did read about the 4mix, first time I’ve ever messed with one of these and I’ll most likely give it my best shot

I would say it's worth fixing since it didn't cost you anything. I paid $600 plus tax for my ht 131 when I bought it.
I don't know if you know it, but those are 4 mix engines with valves and plastic camshaft. I didn't know mine was a. 4 mix until after I bought it. The Stihl dealer failed to mention that.

Is the 4 mix a bad thing? I’ve read mixed reviews..

I've read mixed reviews too. I have used mine very little so far, maybe 4 tanks of fuel. Haven't had any trouble out of mine yet, except when I let it sit all winter with ethanol fuel in it. Took a while to get the carb cleaned out but cranks and runs good now

Product Type : Pole Pruners Model : HT131 Serial Number : 279296021
Product Registration

Registered to : XXX XXXXXXXXX
XX XXXXXXXXXXXX
Albany, NY 12205
USA
Date Purchased : 03/25/2010

Primary Use : Tree Service

Ultra Warranty : No - Expired 03/24/2012
EWP : None

Support : 800.709.7773

Product Type : Pole Pruners Model : HT131 Serial Number : 279296021
Product Registration

Registered to : XXX XXXXXXXXX
XX XXXXXXXXXXXX
Albany, NY 12205
USA
Date Purchased : 03/25/2010

Primary Use : Tree Service

Ultra Warranty : No - Expired 03/24/2012
EWP : None

Support : 800.709.7773

Cool.. primary use “tree service”.. would that mean it would have been used commercially? Looks like it, maybe left behind cause there was a bunch of cuts to nearby trees. Maybe the ghost of this guy chased their asses outta there :laughing:

I have a 4mix weed whip. Think it's a fs91r. Been kinda a turd for me. Only a little over a year old and has been to the shop without any luck getting it repaired. Hopefully yours will be decent!

What is the problem?
Don't mean to hijack anything! When warm it will stumble or die/almost die coming off of throttle. Last time it was in they cranked up the idle a bunch. I just didn't want to touch it cause it's under warranty yet. Always run fresh fuel and even put the special premixed motomix stuff in it. New plug, air filter is clean, they dumped my fuel and flushed the tank too.

Don't mean to hijack anything! When warm it will stumble or die/almost die coming off of throttle. Last time it was in they cranked up the idle a bunch. I just didn't want to touch it cause it's under warranty yet. Always run fresh fuel and even put the special premixed motomix stuff in it. New plug, air filter is clean, they dumped my fuel and flushed the tank too.
what are the serial numbers?

See if that works for ya. Thank you

Attachments

• 20180903_103035.jpg
    20180903_103035.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
For the pole saw or pole pruner it is a great application with the one note that the fumes are still pre mix fumes. Idles nice, starts easy, pulls the chain well. A battery non extendable lighter one ends up being grabbed much more often. That one from the picture obviously has a lot of use and travel wear perhaps. If your pole and gear head are good might be able to find one with a damaged pole cheap and reasonably new looking engine part.

Back