Possible problems with (.375" x .058") 68 Drive Links bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey Studs,

Listen, Baileys is running a close out on Carlton 18" Timber Champ Tiger Chainsaw Bars (.375" x .058") 68 Drive Links.
I could use some cheap bars to slam on power-head only saws that I buy & flip.
Yet, there are some foreseeable issues which include these:
1. They don't fit Stihl...I mainly deal with Stihl saws.
2. Is there an bar adapter to fit Stihl mount?
3. If so how much for the cheapest adapters?
4. I would need .058 chain & .058 sprocket correct?
5. Cost association of new chain & new sprockets???
Just trying to get some expert advice...but the bars are
$3.00 each!:eek:

Is it worth it & what are you guys experience with .375" x .058" bars & chain?
Is there anyway to circumvent around this?

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...ger-Chainsaw-Bar-375-x-058-68-Drive-Links.axd
Thanks,
Reg

I don't know about the bar adapters, but a 3\8 sprocket is for all 3\8 chain, gauge is irrelevant to sprockets.
Cost of .058 chain, shouldn't be any more than other chain, just order a loop for every bar then you're all set for flipping purposes.

I can't believe they still have those in stock!

The bar stud grooves would need to be enlarged to fit a large mount Stihl saw. The oil holes should line up as folks commonly use Stihl bars on Husky saws with an adaptor. This could be done a number of ways but milling it out would be best. This would potentially destroy the financial advantage of this purchase.

FWIW I often see .058 chain on sale for much less than .050 or .063. It's kind of the red headed step child around here. Although in other parts of the country I hear it's more common.

You don't need a new sprocket. They can run any gauge (.050, .058, or .063) of a given pitch.

Hey Studs,

4. I would need .058 chain & .058 sprocket correct?
5. Cost association of new chain & new sprockets???
Just trying to get some expert advice...but the bars are
$3.00 each!:eek:

Is it worth it & what are you guys experience with .375" x .058" bars & chain?
Is there anyway to circumvent around this?

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...ger-Chainsaw-Bar-375-x-058-68-Drive-Links.axd
Thanks,
Reg
3/8 .058 is the most all around common here. Perhaps it was an error but you are right in saying you will need a compatible sprocket if you don't have one in 3/8. If have a lot of saws in .325 then you may not always be able to adapt a 3/8 sprocket without changing a drum in cases. I adapt stihl lite bars to my 372 and I have to enlarge the adjusters, so I guess that will make them a bit bigger. Should be fine.
So they are narrower??? That's the kicker
You would have to bull them out somehow by yourself

Its spring steel.

Maybe you could get a special bit for a router?

3/8 .058 is the most all around common here. Perhaps it was an error but you are right in saying you will need a compatible sprocket if you don't have one in 3/8. If have a lot of saws in .325 then you may not always be able to adapt a 3/8 sprocket without changing a drum in cases. I adapt stihl lite bars to my 372 and I have to enlarge the adjusters, so I guess that will make them a bit bigger. Should be fine.
So they are narrower??? That's the kicker
You would have to bull them out somehow by yourself

Its spring steel.

Maybe you could get a special bit for a router?
I've got 95% 3/8 sprockets...just couple of .325 on smaller saws.
I'll dremel/grind em out or let a machine shop bud do it for some cold gusto's.:drinking:

Ordered 5 myself & matched them up with the Forester .058 Chain @ $12.93 a pop!:clap:
Great advice guys.
I can see clearly now.
That's good man.

Now you just have to withhold the wobbly pops so your machinist bud can see clearly too...lol
Well its definitely not that technical.

I've got 95% 3/8 sprockets...just couple of .325 on smaller saws.
I'll dremel/grind em out or let a machine shop bud do it for some cold gusto's.:drinking:
Dremel? Machinists? You guy are all way to sophisticated for me. I'm just one step out of the stone age with my bar wrench and bar that doubles as my hammer.

Sounds like it will work out just great for you.

$3.00 that's amazing! I just realized why I can't afford tools....because I'm paying $220 for my long bars ..:rare2:

Latest posts

Back