Possible Tree Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjonesist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently got a riding lawnmower and during a mow I accidentally hit a root from one of my large trees. It does not look too bad but it did expose it. I don't want the tree to die so I want to know if there is anything I should do to seal the wound or anyting I should do to protect it. I've attached a few pics for review. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

i cant tell what that tree is, possibly a yellow-poplar or maple, but I wouldnt worry about that small knick in the root. this is a common occurance and the tree will heal that wound up very quickly. ID of the tree will help to say if there are any diseases that may have an easy time to get in, but in your yard it shouldnt be a big issue.

im many garden shops they sell 'sealer'. i would not recommend putting anything on the wound, as demonstratated by Shigo. here is a good read on this:
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Horticultural Myths_files/Myths/Wound sealer.pdf

You may want to consider burying any exposed roots under just a bit of soil (a few inches worth, not much) and seeding it. This will help to keep the roots safe from your mower. Dont regrade the area, just cover up the exposed roots to prevent further damage. you dont want to starve the tree of the oxygen it needs, just want to keep it safe.
good luck!

Thanks for all the info. I'm not sure what kind of tree it is but I would imagine just by the size thats it's over 100 years old. It drops little pointed balls every years and despite that, it's an excellent tree. In my mind is worth every effot to pamper. Thanks again.

tree pics

Little pointy balls? Sweetgum? but it would be better if you posted a picture of a leaf and one of thoses little pointy balls if you want it identified. A buckeye tree drops bigger pointy balls with a seed inside as would a beech or chestnut... ect.

Latest posts

Back