Post of the Beast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glens

Former Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.  I'd wanted to do something special for my 666th post here on Arboristsite.  But I guess I couldn't think of anything worthy of being tagged "special" (sorry Fish, I'd thought you especially would appreciate something with apocalyptic overtones).

This forum software has several major shortcomings, a couple of which are that the individual post number for an individual isn't recorded/displayed with that post, but rather the cumulative total with every one, even when archaic.&nbsp; Same flaw goes for display of the now-current icon (or "avatar", whatever the he<i></i>ll that means) instead of the one in use at the time of the individual post.&nbsp; All that means is even if I were to have done something special it's meaning would be obscured with the very next post I'd make.&nbsp; So for the record this is my anti-Christian bestial post, number <b>666</b>, here.&nbsp; (I'm not being blasphemous or anything since all that stuff happened within the first century A.D. anyway - a topic I'll gladly discuss in private, or at least elsewhere).

Now for the part which should make this post ineligible for shuffling off to Buffalo, Off-Topic.

I finally had a chance to run an Elux saw in a meaningful way this past summer.&nbsp; After most of the summer had already passed I discovered there was a Jonesy dealer right in the tiny little town I was working.&nbsp; Upon making that discovery I immediately skipped out of work and went for a visit.&nbsp; He didn't have a very broad selection of new saws on the shelf (52cc being the largest), but he was quite content to let me paw and inspect them; as well get his parts book and discuss differences between models, et al.

I mentioned that I'd really like to run one comparable to either my 036 or 066 some time and he said he had one of his private saws he'd be willing to trade some time with me with.&nbsp; Near as I can recall it was either the 2163 or the one just prior to it in that size.&nbsp; I do know it was the 62cc model and it had a chain brake / hand guard with pivots on both sides of the saw (that is, not a flag).&nbsp; So I fetched my 036 off the truck and we went to the wood pile out back.

Both saws were wearing 20" bars but mine was woods-hand-filed-sharp chisel and his was not-quite-as-sharp ground semi-chisel.&nbsp; I was immediately impressed by the smoothness of the Jonesy in hand at idle, but also noted the greater heft, which had to help with the dampening to a certain degree.

My saw out-cut his in both our hands, but I'd say the saws ran just about too close to call, factoring in his lesser chain and all.&nbsp; I did get the impression the Jonesy had the balance of it's power directed more toward the low end of the rev range than mine does.&nbsp; I also got the impression he'd not had any time on a current Stihl and also the impression that he was more than a little bit impressed.

If there weren't two outstanding Stihl dealers in nearby towns either side of him I think he'd like to carry them.

Perhaps the differing chain types had something to do with it, but I readily noted that while the Jonesy was markedly smoother in hand at idle, there was no real difference in the cut, and that maybe mine was even a bit smoother.&nbsp; A day in the woods with them both wearing equal chains would be a bit more informational, and I yet hope to be able to do that some day.&nbsp; I still plan to be-bop down towards the Terre Haute area and visit Tony Snyder.&nbsp; Perhaps we'll be able to get some time in the woods together with some saws then.

At any rate, I guess it's good to be back to the site after my short absence.&nbsp; A word to the wise:&nbsp; Don't start a Husky/Stihl argument in a small-town bar in southern Wisconsin.&nbsp; You might get more time to contemplate than you'd bargained for...

This is not meant to be a we v. they thread, but if anybody has got similar experiences to relate I'd like to hear them.

Glen

well i dont wanta discuss religion,cause too many preachers come to different conclusions about whats important..
living an experiencing some creator that is without doubt a benevolent creator[inspite of all the wrong things men bring on themselves and also the things that just happen,,] is of no doubt in my mind..
ownim i dont,,understandim i dont..
know hes there and understands the whole thing.. somehow i do..and glen .. heaven helpus all if u turned out to be rite..but i really aint worried about that being the case..we coulkd debate till we wuzblue in the face.. wouldnt change a thing about the truth..not that i know it..
it just is..

is 667 the neighbor of the beast?

You could just never post again under that name, then you would always be the guy with 666. What fun would that be then.

Best movie with goats: Dan Akroyd and John Candy when they placed cops in Dragnet and infiltrated the wierd man/boy/goat love cult.

Now if they could have incorporated a chainsaw or two in that movie, we would have real hit.! OT Baby!

Yup, that was a fairly funny part of that movie.

I guess I forgot to mention that my saw was bone stock and was wearing a brand-new as-yet-unused solid sprocket-nose bar direct from the fatherland.&nbsp; Now that the bar has had some chain run through it a few revs and I've got a pre-ban muffler it would be a tad different comparison, I'm sure.&nbsp; I would certainly put the stock muffler back on for fairness in any future similar situations.

That reminds me: the lumber yard in that town had all manner of exquisite 2&times; framing material from Germany at competitive prices.&nbsp; Man, that stuff was sweet!&nbsp; None of this four years of growth filling the whole profile kind of crap we get from our own continent these days; but that's off-topic, ain'tn't it.

Glen

Back