Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This years haul so far this year, all in one day and by myself. Does anyone know what kind of wood I have in the second and third photo? I am from northeast PA if that helps.

I'm no expert so probably wrong but that bark looks like my hickory trees. I'm down the road in wv. If you bbq, save some and smoke as many pork butts as you can. Thoreau said wood warms you three times, but he'd of upped it to 4 if he knew how to bbq.

I'm no expert so probably wrong but that bark looks like my hickory trees. I'm down the road in wv. If you bbq, save some and smoke as many pork butts as you can. Thoreau said wood warms you three times, but he'd of upped it to 4 if he knew how to bbq.

The bark is flaky, but no dark center.

Sorry, I knew I should have just left it to the pros. White oak is good for smoking as well, though. So substitute "brisket" for pork in my last post. Oak is mild and good for low and slow beef.

Here's a Shagbark,

standard.jpg

SR

Sorry. I made a mistake in calculating that (used the 12' diameter instead of the 6' radius). Comes out to 2+ full cords (6+ face cords).

I am sure that your FIL is still a great guy.

Philbert

Either your math is wrong or I guesstimated wrong on the pile size. That is 6 cord at a minimum.

My FIL is usually pretty stingy when it comes to guessing things like this.

You're going to have to wait awhile on that one. That pile is 99% oak and is going to sit right there for a year or more.

Split up about a cord of aspen with the Fiskars tonight. Wood was cut last fall and still pretty soggy but split easy compared to fresh cut. Also noodled the bottom 5 pieces of a pretty twisted maple I cut last week. I've got about another cord of aspen to split tomorrow and then a few hours of hauling/stacking. Then I've got to decide if I'm cutting dying trees of my property or going after scrounge wood to finish up the pile.

svk said "Then I've got to decide if I'm cutting dying trees of my property or going after scrounge wood to finish up the pile."... scrounged wood is better for now with easy access! the dead an dying wood on your property will be a asset for later when the snow is neck deep and if you run short!!

Split up about a cord of aspen with the Fiskars tonight. Wood was cut last fall and still pretty soggy but split easy compared to fresh cut. Also noodled the bottom 5 pieces of a pretty twisted maple I cut last week. I've got about another cord of aspen to split tomorrow and then a few hours of hauling/stacking. Then I've got to decide if I'm cutting dying trees of my property or going after scrounge wood to finish up the pile.

Do both! Well, whatever..in theory both is good.

A cord at one sitting with a fiskars is a lot. I hardly ever do more than around 1/4. Depends on the wood and how I am feeling, once my hands start to get sore, that's it.

Do both!....A cord at one sitting with a fiskars is a lot.
In full disclosure I'm splitting these pretty large for my indoor boiler. So most are just split in half or quarters at most so the splitting goes pretty fast.

I'm thinking I'll drop a couple dying trees tomorrow and round out the pile with scrounge over the next few weeks. Once the weather warns up I've got to paint the garage and put the kids on some fish so I want to be done with splitting for a while.

Back