Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a different thread I posted pictures of a large Oak that came down across my utility lines severing power and phone. I'll get plenty firewood from that, but, probably not enough to pay the Electrical Contractor who had to re-set the utility pole and splice all the broken power lines. But, yesterday while transporting some of that oak from central driveway to a processing location I learned another smaller, dead Oak took the same windy opportunity to fall over. This one also did some damage, but had the good graces to fall right where I'll process it:

IMG_0641.jpg

My grandson helped me inspect it. The ends will go back onto a brush pile, but the trunk of the tree is sound dead red.

Nice yard woodchuck. What's the temp there?
I just bought a bc600xl Vermeer wood chipper for $2900, needed tlc, a new belt, came with 4 sets of new knives... So no more splitting for me for awhile. What I cannot chip I am bringing home to split 👌🌲⛓️
20220222_092630.jpg
20220214_140713.jpg
I put some cute stickers on the Vermeer

Nice yard woodchuck. What's the temp there?
I just bought a bc600xl Vermeer wood chipper for $2900, needed tlc, a new belt, came with 4 sets of new knives... So no more splitting for me for awhile. What I cannot chip I am bringing home to split 👌🌲⛓️
View attachment 967624
View attachment 967625
I put some cute stickers on the Vermeer
Nice unit, good price. Temps here are hovering around 0ºC most of this winter. Snow comes then it melts. Comes and goes. Last few years been like that.

Oh dang those are nice machines!
They can be fussy. If you have straight logs that are 8-12" diameter you can put through about 2 cord an hour over the top of the conveyour. That's not how we do it though. We stack it as it comes off the splitter. We buy our logs so we get what we get when it comes to quality. Logs can be between 3 and 20 inches. So between sorting and trimming, it takes about 2 hours (sometimes a little bit more if there are mechanical issues) to crack and stack one cord (4 crates). We don't do this full time, mostly to get the exercise.
20220210_142950-firewood-processor-jim-gina.jpg20191022-firewood.jpg

Nice, beautiful, flat and clean yard! When I go to my client's properties to split their wood it has usually already been bucked with poorly angled cuts, pieces to long... On steep slopes, in the bushes etc. We have a lot of white and black Oak here, some of the heaviest woods so it's a treat when they want me to split a pine, especially Cedar! Hope everyone has a great day! It's Friday ⛓️🌲🙏🐜

Nice, beautiful, flat and clean yard! When I go to my client's properties to split their wood it has usually already been bucked with poorly angled cuts, pieces to long... On steep slopes, in the bushes etc. We have a lot of white and black Oak here, some of the heaviest woods so it's a treat when they want me to split a pine, especially Cedar! Hope everyone has a great day! It's Friday ⛓️🌲🙏🐜
Any flat area on our property had to be created. Dirt from one area
20200714_104326-mini-excavator-gina.jpg

had to be scooped over to fill in another area

20200804_134208-firewood-field-4.jpg

It took the whole summer of afternoons and weekends to fill in that space all the way over to the far left.

Sunny last day of February. I've got all my cut dead Oak is split and stacked.

IMG_0657.jpg

Now, I have options: work up the big oak that fell taking out my utilities last week, or cut down another standing dead red oak. I doubt the oak that took out my utilities will be seasoned by next year. So, I believe I'll take down another dead oak.

Latest posts

Back