Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hey you woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!
Yep, another cord! Then after that..another woodshed! Then more cords, then more sheds...

FAD is worse than CAD. CAD you just throw money and bench time at it, FAD involves work! BWAHAHAHAHA wicked fun though..can't say any other job I have ever done is as much fun as getting firewood. I don't golf, watch TV outside of the weather and pop a movie in, so no sports, don't do nascar races, football, etc. Nuthin. I cut wood. Go catch some bass a few times a year, and stopped hunting a long time ago, have no need for it anymore, have all the meat I want. So..besides my pets, I have TREES here the boss needs cutting or doesn't care if I cut, all I want,, so chainsaws and cutting wood is the big hobby.

Sometimes I feel like a piker compared to the guys who cut "pro" or "semi pro" and have and use a lot of heavy equipment to work and process mass quantitites, but..as a hobby, I am just maintaining the fun and good exercise angle. I have to do some good physical work therapy all the time or I will cripple up and..well.that's it, not be able to do anything. If I don't work my back, it will fail, sucks. On going "keep the back functional" stuff. As a hobby, I can do as little or as much as I want, when I want, take breaks when I want and need them. Beats paying money to go to some gym! If it was a day to day job..dunno, not sure how long that would last before it went from fun to drudgery. I guess, if it was limited to say two cords a week, with a little bit more mechanization it would be OK.
OK, I have been hanging around here for the last 1.5 yrs. or so and I'm still not sure. Call it the dumb newb question of the year if ya want, but I bet I'm not the only newb wondering, so here goes. I get the principle of it, but what exactly does CAD, FAD stand for?! My best guess is "chainsaw acquisition disorder" and "firewood acquisition disorder"? If nothing else now we'll all know, and maybe y'all can have a laugh at the green horn! :D THANKS! BTW, nice work there zogger, :rock: if I understand right, you have had major back issues? Way to be out there gettin it done, you probably could be at home collectin ya some mail money if you wanted. Sorry, I know I'm off topic here.

terryknight

terryknight

ArboristSite Operative
OK, I have been hanging around here for the last 1.5 yrs. or so and I'm still not sure. Call it the dumb newb question of the year if ya want, but I bet I'm not the only newb wondering, so here goes. I get the principle of it, but what exactly does CAD, FAD stand for?! My best guess is "chainsaw acquisition disorder" and "firewood acquisition disorder"? If nothing else now we'll all know, and maybe y'all can have a laugh at the green horn! :D THANKS! BTW, nice work there zogger, :rock: if I understand right, you have had major back issues? Way to be out there gettin it done, you probably could be at home collection ya some mail money if you wanted. Sorry, I know I'm off topic here.

i've always thought it was chainsaw/firewood addiction disorder, but i think acquisition works just as well

leadarrows

leadarrows

Tree Freak
I have to agree with you guys. Cutting firewood is one of my favorite outdoor activities. The other is making maple syrup. Both are great exercise and get you into the woods. I guess it runs in the family. My father and grandfather both enjoyed cutting wood and making maple syrup too.

NHlocal I can't afford the heating oil either. I like to be comfortable in my own house and just keep putting the wood to the OWB and keep the thermostat where I want it.

I need your woodshed beside my OWB. I have planning to build one like that but haven't been able to find the time when I have the funds and can't find the funds when I have the time.

Oh-boy can I relate to that.

hardpan

hardpan

Addicted to ArboristSite
OK, I have been hanging around here for the last 1.5 yrs. or so and I'm still not sure. Call it the dumb newb question of the year if ya want, but I bet I'm not the only newb wondering, so here goes. I get the principle of it, but what exactly does CAD, FAD stand for?! My best guess is "chainsaw acquisition disorder" and "firewood acquisition disorder"? If nothing else now we'll all know, and maybe y'all can have a laugh at the green horn! :D THANKS! BTW, nice work there zogger, :rock: if I understand right, you have had major back issues? Way to be out there gettin it done, you probably could be at home collectin ya some mail money if you wanted. Sorry, I know I'm off topic here.

You are basically correct on CAD and FAD and I suspect also on Zogger. He will reply soon and set the record straight. There are others here that fully realize they must "use it or lose it". With time I've seen friends and family go down will bad backs and joints and it is mostly the ones who are the least active physically. The pattern is obvious. Personally I too have an easier time looking in the mirror after a session of good honest work.

Wolfen

Wolfen

ArboristSite Operative
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
View attachment 257048What's everyone doing with the the leftover bark and small scrap pieces leftover from splitting? I was just wondering if there is anything useful to do with it besides dumping it with the brush? View attachment 257047View attachment 257049
I plan on selling the big knotty pieces as camping wood at a discounted price as I have past couple years. Also wha has anyone found anything wierd in logs while being split?

Knotty pieces I cut up with my electric chain saw, into smaller pieces I call chunks, they burn, and since my heater is old as the hills and doesn't care what I put in it, chunks of wood burn as good as the logs :), Bark on the other hand is a problem for me. Bark usually gets tossed into the garden for mulch, or in whatever hole the Beagles dig in the yard :).
And weird pieces lie the one in your pic I cut down with a hatchet and remove the piece and use the wood

brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hey you woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!
You are basically correct on CAD and FAD and I suspect also on Zogger. He will reply soon and set the record straight. There are others here that fully realize they must "use it or lose it". With time I've seen friends and family go down will bad backs and joints and it is mostly the ones who are the least active physically. The pattern is obvious. Personally I too have an easier time looking in the mirror after a session of good honest work.

I hear ya! My dad lost half of his left arm in the classic farm accident, corn picker, 'bout 40 years ago. He was only down 3 days afterwards, almost 70 now, still working 12-15 hr. days!

Streblerm

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
What's everyone doing with the the leftover bark and small scrap pieces leftover from splitting? I was just wondering if there is anything useful to do with it besides dumping it with the brush?
I plan on selling the big knotty pieces as camping wood at a discounted price as I have past couple years. Also wha has anyone found anything wierd in logs while being split?

I pretty much burn everything I bring home. Sometimes I'll run a pile of bark through my little chipper and put it in the garden but most of it gets used for starting fires. I collect bark and small pieces in boxes, bags, crates, trash cans or whatever is handy and let it dry in the shed. I started a fire this morning with scraps/leaves/bark that I swept off the garage floor. I figure if I go through the trouble to drag it home then it owes me some heat. the same goes for the odd pieces. I just make them small enough to fit through the door. It doesn't have to be shaped like a traditional piece of firewood to make heat.

I gather mostly city trees and I find all kinds of interesting stuff in them. I consider it a good day when I find stuff charred in my stove rather than with my chain. Horseshoes, nails, metal eyelets, cement. What are people thinking?

cowroy

cowroy

Addicted to ArboristSite

CAD
Chainsaw
Addiction
Disorder

FAD
Firewood
Addiction
Disorder

Wolfen

Wolfen

ArboristSite Operative
I use all the bark for the garden, I start my fires with pallets that I cut into little 4" long 1/4" around pieces, on top of news paper, basically cause I have never had much luck starting a fire with bark and since I need to replace the pallets every now and then and they are so plentiful around here ( free too) I can get as many as I want at any time of the year, so when I replace one the used one gets cut into kindling :) The 2x4's in them get used as either braces at the end of a pallet of wood or leaning braces to keep the braces form falling over :) Redneck...I know, but effective

Customcuts

Customcuts

ArboristSite Operative
I pretty much burn everything I bring home. Sometimes I'll run a pile of bark through my little chipper and put it in the garden but most of it gets used for starting fires. I collect bark and small pieces in boxes, bags, crates, trash cans or whatever is handy and let it dry in the shed. I started a fire this morning with scraps/leaves/bark that I swept off the garage floor. I figure if I go through the trouble to drag it home then it owes me some heat. the same goes for the odd pieces. I just make them small enough to fit through the door. It doesn't have to be shaped like a traditional piece of firewood to make heat.

I gather mostly city trees and I find all kinds of interesting stuff in them. I consider it a good day when I find stuff charred in my stove rather than with my chain. Horseshoes, nails, metal eyelets, cement. What are people thinking?

Tell me about it, all mine is residential stuff and the other day I "found" an old nail about a foot long and 3/8ths diameter while noodling an oak round with my 441, I knew it right when it happened. The bar jumped and I was instantly in a bad mood:bang: so I checked the chain and a couple of the teeth were pretty much flattened.... Good thing I ALWAYS carry extra chains...:msp_sneaky:...I have a bunch of mesh bags that u get from the store when you buy smoker wood... And I have filled a bunch of them up to use as kindling like u do but I still have about 4 bags of it from last year. So I guess ill just offer them to my wood customers. Needless to say we don't burn a whole lot of wood in Texas where I'm at. Last year I only burned less than a cord myself in my fireplace. It just doesn't get that cold for that long. Supposedly we are in for a good cold winter here this year so let's see how that goes... I have a couple cords of elm and sycamore (which I will never bring home again) that I will be selling to campers at a discounted rate. I split most of it down to big chunks so it should be good for the camp fires. :msp_biggrin:

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak

Ya, that's it on FAD and CAD.

Back issues in spades, blew out 12 disks back in the 90s, laid me up to the point of homlessness. Managed to overcome it by due diligence on therapy and get back to work part time. I stiffen up get weak then get a relapse and can't do a thing if I don't get my flexibility and strength firewood workouts.

We also heat with wood, so it is a double win!

Gov checks..ain't made my mind up yet but most likely start collecting next year, just regular soc sec.. I never tried to push a disability check because..psychological with me, it makes me *try*. It was more important to me to get back to at least half speed than just getting some money and sitting around. sitting around you go downhill fast, you have to keep working and keep busy. The part time job I have now is enough, and when I get my periodic little relapses I can recuperate (usually out of action for a week or so) and it ususally isn't an issue (well, it sucks and hurts bad, can't do anything, just standing up takes a few minutes...), I can take the time off when I need to here. Full time, it wouldn't be fair to either an employer or myself. I tried that, it just doesn't work. So, I made a compromise.

This is a LOT better than what the docs first said, wheelchair or maybe a walker if I was lucky..screw that, I made my own luck! They wanted to do surgery and take out disks, put steel rods in, etc. No way! Now, I did screw up not getting an accident lawyer back then (work related), but, water over the dam now.

benp

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ya, that's it on FAD and CAD.

Back issues in spades, blew out 12 disks back in the 90s, laid me up to the point of homlessness. Managed to overcome it by due diligence on therapy and get back to work part time. I stiffen up get weak then get a relapse and can't do a thing if I don't get my flexibility and strength firewood workouts.

We also heat with wood, so it is a double win!

Gov checks..ain't made my mind up yet but most likely start collecting next year, just regular soc sec.. I never tried to push a disability check because..psychological with me, it makes me *try*. It was more important to me to get back to at least half speed than just getting some money and sitting around. sitting around you go downhill fast, you have to keep working and keep busy. The part time job I have now is enough, and when I get my periodic little relapses I can recuperate (usually out of action for a week or so) and it ususally isn't an issue (well, it sucks and hurts bad, can't do anything, just standing up takes a few minutes...), I can take the time off when I need to here. Full time, it wouldn't be fair to either an employer or myself. I tried that, it just doesn't work. So, I made a compromise.

This is a LOT better than what the docs first said, wheelchair or maybe a walker if I was lucky..screw that, I made my own luck! They wanted to do surgery and take out disks, put steel rods in, etc. No way! Now, I did screw up not getting an accident lawyer back then (work related), but, water over the dam now.

Good on you for making the best of it and maintaining a certain level of activity. A good mindset you have.:rock:

I have seen this in people that get joint replacements. A lot of times, the ones that are lumps don't ever heal up as fast as the ones who are attempting to do hot laps around the hospital floor less than 24hrs after surgery.

wagz

ArboristSite Operative
I have to agree with you guys. Cutting firewood is one of my favorite outdoor activities. The other is making maple syrup. Both are great exercise and get you into the woods. I guess it runs in the family. My father and grandfather both enjoyed cutting wood and making maple syrup too.

NHlocal I can't afford the heating oil either. I like to be comfortable in my own house and just keep putting the wood to the OWB and keep the thermostat where I want it.

I need your woodshed beside my OWB. I have planning to build one like that but haven't been able to find the time when I have the funds and can't find the funds when I have the time.

i just planted a sugar maple at my house. i'd love to harvest syrup from it in a few years. got any pointers?

Denis Gionet

Denis Gionet

ArboristSite Operative
i've always thought it was chainsaw/firewood addiction disorder, but i think acquisition works just as well

Correct. CAD= Chainsaw Addiction Disorder, FAD = Firewood Addiction Disorder.

Zogger also has WAD -- Work Addiction Disorder. He's a bit like me I think, feel like ya gotta keep moving, doing something, working on something. I hate "just sitting there" -- don't have it in me. I gotta feel like I've done something useful in the day to be satisfied, or maybe relieved would be a better word.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Correct. CAD= Chainsaw Addiction Disorder, FAD = Firewood Addiction Disorder.

Zogger also has WAD -- Work Addiction Disorder. He's a bit like me I think, feel like ya gotta keep moving, doing something, working on something. I hate "just sitting there" -- don't have it in me. I gotta feel like I've done something useful in the day to be satisfied, or maybe relieved would be a better word.

Ha! Mostly. I take a lot of breaks, then go work on some project. I always have projects. I'd like to do more but most projects take cash as well as labor. My freeking 4wd truck is taking me a long time, find a part, do some work, wait until reserves build back up, do something else.

I'd love to just be able to like..go buy a nice running deuce or something, but fresh out of five grand bills...I'm on the five buck budget, not 500 or 5000.

benp

Addicted to ArboristSite
i just planted a sugar maple at my house. i'd love to harvest syrup from it in a few years. got any pointers?

You are going to need more than that one tree. :msp_biggrin:

It's something like 90 gallons of sap will get you one gallon of syrup.

I have had a friend come out and tap around 100 trees here. Pretty neat to see sap pouring out of the trees like water along with how outside temp effects flow.

He had a cool setup consisting of 5 gallon buckets and tubing. Drill a hole in the tree and attach the tubing. There were the orange Home Depot buckets everywhere here. lol

Last edited:
zogger

zogger

Tree Freak

Yes, I have a pointer, you will need a LOT of wood! I used to tap ONE big sugar maple and it took me pret near as much wood to make a few gallons syrup every year as it did to heat the cabin!

Man, that's some primo good stuff though, yum! I miss it..

Latest posts