Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to sound dumb, posting from another continent. What's sugaring season? Maple syrup?

S

Sorry to sound dumb, posting from another continent. What's sugaring season? Maple syrup?

S

You're allowed a dumb question, 'cause you come from the home of Scotch, bagpipes and Sean Connery .... We can arrange a trade.... a crate of Maple Syrup for a case of your favorite Scotch.... waddaya say ?

S

Starting to think that I should have started a maple syrup thread. :msp_smile: Sugaring season is that time in the spring when there are freezing temps at night and the daytime temps get into the 40's. When that happens the sap from the maple trees will flow and we tap the trees to collect the sap. To tap a tree we drill a small hole, about 8mm or 5/16" and put in a metal or plastic spout. The sap is then collected and boiled down to make maple syrup. Depending on the sugar content it will take 40 to 50 liters of sap to make 1 liter of syrup.

Sorry for the hijack. :msp_wink:

Some of us have the wrong type of maple trees :(
BUT some of use might trade Maple Syrup or maybe some Whiskey from Scotland for good old fashioned shine :)
that is if I can ever get a answer from the govt no how much " personal use" is

Starting to think that I should have started a maple syrup thread. :msp_smile: Sugaring season is that time in the spring when there are freezing temps at night and the daytime temps get into the 40's. When that happens the sap from the maple trees will flow and we tap the trees to collect the sap. To tap a tree we drill a small hole, about 8mm or 5/16" and put in a metal or plastic spout. The sap is then collected and boiled down to make maple syrup. Depending on the sugar content it will take 40 to 50 liters of sap to make 1 liter of syrup.

Sorry for the hijack. :msp_wink:
Do it. I think I read somewhere there's very few places in the whole world that can make maple syrup due to climate. A lot of people on here would probably find a maple syrup thread interesting.

Sorry to hijack the hijack, :hmm3grin2orange: finally started to haul out some of the Oak I've been cutting the past few weeks and get it over to my Church property's woodpile/splitting area, moved three pickup loads today.....:D

.....here's load #1.....

attachment.php

.....load #2.....

attachment.php

.....all three loads stacked and waiting for the splitting/stacking crew, about 1 3/4 cord.....

attachment.php

(I LOVE maple syrup!);)

Last edited:
Take 2.

Here is my woodpile. Quite modest compared to others. This is my wood for this winter.

Lenght of pile is 50 feet and 4.5 to 5 feet high. I estimated it to be between 5-6 cord.

Sorry to hijack the hijack, :hmm3grin2orange: finally started to haul out some of the Oak I've been cutting the past few weeks and get it over to my Church property's woodpile/splitting area, moved three pickup loads today.....:D

.....here's load #1.....

attachment.php

.....load #2.....

attachment.php

.....all three loads stacked and waiting for the splitting/stacking crew, about 1 3/4 cord.....

attachment.php

(I LOVE maple syrup!);)

Ok Randy, now I KNOW you're retired, or work for the State.... no ordinary workin' man owns a truck that clean !

btw, nice stack of rounds, I'd love to be in on the splitting crew !

Ok Randy, now I KNOW you're retired, or work for the State.... no ordinary workin' man owns a truck that clean !

btw, nice stack of rounds, I'd love to be in on the splitting crew !

I love that truck, oh if only I could afford it.:(
"Technically" it is mine, my Church owns it and I'm very active and very involved with my Church so I have the "privilege" of using it when it's available. :)

.....here's load #1.....

.....load #2.....

(I LOVE maple syrup!);)

Wow, neat! Never saw a vertical stack like that with the pallets! You've been a busy boy!
And man, I had almost forgotten just how pretty New England is in the fall.

Take 2.

Here is my woodpile. Quite modest compared to others. This is my wood for this winter.

Lenght of pile is 50 feet and 4.5 to 5 feet high. I estimated it to be between 5-6 cord.

Nice stacks with that air space! I'm chicken to do single stacks like that. I do three wide for the final stacks.

Some of us have the wrong type of maple trees :(
BUT some of use might trade Maple Syrup or maybe some Whiskey from Scotland for good old fashioned shine :)
that is if I can ever get a answer from the govt no how much " personal use" is

I would take you up on that.

More oak progress

Got some more this afternoon. Worked my way to the poplar, stopped there. Getting a lot of wood from one tree! Got around a cord and a quarter now just from the trunk, and still a lot more to go.

Blocks today

attachment.php

saws used today, L-R, echo 8000, poulan 3400, poulan s25cva

attachment.php

Hauled home score, cut from yesterday and Fiskared even smaller for handling today (1/8ths are doable, the 1/4s were still pretty heavy)

attachment.php

Bonus pic, check this out! This is an *apple blossom* in October! That's a tree we planted a few years ago, a golden delicious. Is that weird, or what? We had that cold snap in September, maybe the tree got faked out now that it is warmer again and thinks it is spring now? (as much as trees think...)

attachment.php

Take 2.

Modest! Heck that is art.:bowdown:

Modest by size and wood species. I have been single stacking for years but I pick the right piece. Sometime I need to split a piece to match. I will hold three to four feet of snow. One thing that I check regularely is if wood pile is not waving too much. I made a simple jig with a piece of wood, a string and a big nut that I put on top of the pile to keep it straight.

First row is all red maple and second row is white birtch and aspen that I mix up when I bring it in the basement.

All wood from woodlot on back of my house(18 acres), cut, hauled, split by yours truly.

Latest posts

Back