Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any current pics. Added maybe 3 cords to the stuff I already have. BIL brought his LT30 over, so that's what we've been doing. I've got around 400 bd. ft. of oak sticker'd up in the basement, full 1 by 6 to 1 by 16, 12 and 16 ft lengths.

BIL running the mill (it's firewood-related, since I'm cutting and splitting the butts). ;o)

attachment.php

I don't have any current pics. Added maybe 3 cords to the stuff I already have. BIL brought his LT30 over, so that's what we've been doing. I've got around 400 bd. ft. of oak sticker'd up in the basement, full 1 by 6 to 1 by 16, 12 and 16 ft lengths.

BIL running the mill (it's firewood-related, since I'm cutting and splitting the butts). ;o)

attachment.php

.....it would be soooooooooo nice to have one of those.....:msp_drool::msp_drool::msp_drool:

.....it would be soooooooooo nice to have one of those.....:msp_drool::msp_drool::msp_drool:

This one's been in the family for a good long time. FIL bought it new, BIL bought it from him. There have been many, many board feet come off this mill. I don't own one but I sure know where to get one when I need it. I think I'm going to have to build a shed pretty soon, to store all the flat-wood in.

This one's been in the family for a good long time. FIL bought it new, BIL bought it from him. There have been many, many board feet come off this mill. I don't own one but I sure know where to get one when I need it. I think I'm going to have to build a shed pretty soon, to store all the flat-wood in.

There's always a couple for sale around here. One was assembled and tested but never really used. It's been for sale for over a year, on the side of the highway. Big sucker, prolly 20-24' deck. If only ......

That is a slick machine! What are you going to do with the oak boards?

boss has a huge old steam powered sawmill here, but it isn't setup. I *hope* he eventually gets the time and energy to do it.

Boo!

attachment.php

hehehehehe, Garden Goddess carved that today, her pumpkin she grew

Got two trailer loads of oak and hickory from last weekends mini GTG with the ported saws. That was monday and tuesday aternoon. Today started on a wicked crookedy serious leaner ash right in the same area. Taking that one then one more oak because the big rotten walnut with the mega bees nest in it was going to fall on them eventually and I didn't want to deal with a huge hanger.

Should have stood to the side to get the lean perspective shot, but it was around 35 degrees. I think this is my combo largest and most leany tree I have done. Used that triangular coosbay, although in retrospect I think I should have bore cut it***(question below). It started to split a little at the last second but not bad and went over clean.

attachment.php

stump

attachment.php

A whole buncha pretty blocks and small rounds

attachment.php

and one more bonus pic, tonights ghoulish chow, pumpkin soup cooked in the pumpkin itself with eyeballs...

attachment.php

**question on borecuts on those heavy leaners.

Ok, make a shallow face. Then go in and ..what? Do I bore cut through near the outside of the hinge area and cut back to the holding strap? And just keep going? Or start out at by the holding strap and cut close to the hinge, then pull it out and cut the strap? Or what, what is the proper progression, generally speaking. I know they are all different, just want to get more in the ballpark on these more dicey takedowns. The first two blocks off the stump showed a crack(doesn't show in the stump pic though, but it's there), so I still am not happy with my technique yet.

That is a slick machine! What are you going to do with the oak boards?

boss has a huge old steam powered sawmill here, but it isn't setup. I *hope* he eventually gets the time and energy to do it.

Mrs is an avid reader. She's been making "bookcase" noises. HA! Maybe in my "spare" time.

Gotta love those old mills. I used to buy rough-cut pine from a local rotary mill many years ago. Cheap lumber, dry it for a year, run it through the planer, and you can make all kinds of stuff out of it.

**question on borecuts on those heavy leaners.

Ok, make a shallow face. Then go in and ..what? Do I bore cut through near the outside of the hinge area and cut back to the holding strap? And just keep going? Or start out at by the holding strap and cut close to the hinge, then pull it out and cut the strap? Or what, what is the proper progression, generally speaking. I know they are all different, just want to get more in the ballpark on these more dicey takedowns. The first two blocks off the stump showed a crack(doesn't show in the stump pic though, but it's there), so I still am not happy with my technique yet.

Zogger, I usually bore straight through to the other side (assuming bar is long enough) and then take a breath, let her rip as fast as she can cut the backside all the way through the holding wood. Over on the chainsaw forum you will see the triangle technique (name escapes me now) which looks good, but I haven't used that one yet.

Mrs is an avid reader. She's been making "bookcase" noises. HA! Maybe in my "spare" time.

Gotta love those old mills. I used to buy rough-cut pine from a local rotary mill many years ago. Cheap lumber, dry it for a year, run it through the planer, and you can make all kinds of stuff out of it.

And you were pondering moving away from all those toys. Are you nuts?:confused:

Zogger, I usually bore straight through to the other side (assuming bar is long enough) and then take a breath, let her rip as fast as she can cut the backside all the way through the holding wood. Over on the chainsaw forum you will see the triangle technique (name escapes me now) which looks good, but I haven't used that one yet.

It's called a "Coose Bay" cut I believe...

And yes... "A common" procedure for heavy leaners is...
Shallow face cut...
Bore in behind the face leaving some hinge... "Strong enough to support the weight of the tree"
Cut out the back releasing the tree to fall.

And you were pondering moving away from all those toys. Are you nuts?:confused:

Who said I wasn't going to take some toys with me? BIL is looking at a bigger mill. That one might come up for sale. Who knows what might happen.

Common?

That second pic is how I did it.(evidence in the stump shot) I think the first pic with the bore cut would have worked better on that particular tree. Would have needed a longer bar though. Thanks for the drawings!

I think Gologit made mention, that if the second is used, you can't be dithering in the back cut... It does not completely "eliminate" the chance of a barberchair.

the first picture is mine earlier this year and the second the guy i work with the as of now my piles mayby got 3 cord split and another 10 to be split into it we would have the same size pile but my woods usually sold before it even hits the landing

Common?

I think Gologit made mention, that if the second is used, you can't be dithering in the back cut... It does not completely "eliminate" the chance of a barberchair.

yep. I was hauling it down that back cut (husky 365) but when I heard a crack I vamoosed! When you can hear the crack over the saw noise and with muffs on, you know it is serious! I had a few inches to go for a complete back cut to the hinge, but I was guessing it was gonna let loose before, and that happened. That lean was severe.

All in all though I was mostly pleased. Fell where it needed to fall, didn't chair completely, etc.

the first picture is mine earlier this year and the second the guy i work with the as of now my piles mayby got 3 cord split and another 10 to be split into it we would have the same size pile but my woods usually sold before it even hits the landing

Real nice piles! I use a conveyor...that's me standing in the trailer throwing chunks up onto a pile, I "convey" them through the air... ;(

Hey, nice GTG contest! chunk 0 wood shot putting! Not that I would ever win, but it would be fun to watch some of the mooskies here really airlift some chunks! ya, I know they have the caber toss in the highland games, I mean a firewood toss, say a 16Dx16L oak round, any technique is legal.

Back