Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some progress pics from the cottonwoods.

Started on the next 1/2 cord row:

attachment.php

I was out of gas in the splitter tractor, so I threw the can in the car to fill it up on the way home from work, and tinkered around the rest of the morning. I hauled a bunch of rounds up to the splitter:

attachment.php

Here's what's left where they fell, those big rounds are wet and heavy, and I'll split em where they're at, and might noodle as well:

attachment.php

I got started with cleanup today, the wheelbarrow full will go in the burn barrel tomorrow if it's not too windy:

attachment.php

Smallest woodpile of the thread:
utf-8BSU1BRzAxNjEuanBn.jpg

I've got another one of ash in a different spot about the same size. :) Not even a cord between the two.

i've never seen it done that way before how many trips did you make?

exactly what i was thinking

Thanks guys. I live right on a river where there are down trees along the bank and such. We only made one trip that timebut we put two guys (me and my brother) and two complete logs, probably close to a face cord in there. It was really nice because all these rounds were totally seasoned, I am guessing a year or more. It is a great thing when you put them in the splitter and they go "POP!" after the wedge just touches it. We will probably go back to our "spot" on the river this week as there was some other choice stuff in there.

In the past we have taken a long trunk (12"-14" diameter by about 8 feet) and tied a rope to it and towed it to the house behind the boat with it floating. Then we would buck it up on shore. This is OK but the wood of course gets wet then you have to deal with cutting it on the beach with all the sand etc. Plus it makes the boat handle funny.

It was pretty funny when the high school crew team went by in their skulls and said, "Hey! Nice wood!"...

I am all about "scavenging" for down stuff (or mostly down stuff) as it is good wood, already pre-seasoned, and there is plenty out there for the taking if you look hard enough. Oh yeah, the 550XP kicks some serious tail too...

:chainsaw::rock:

I got a boatload of firewood yesterday. We saw two oaks that were down but not on the ground - nice and seasoned ready for the buckin'. We bucked 'em and then rolled them to my boat. It was a lot of wood but the boat handled it great! 15 foot skiff with a 25HP motor.

View attachment 254236
attachment.php

Add this baby to the "Wood Hauler" Thread

Here is your chance heavy :msp_biggrin: 1997 F-250 XLT Not exactly the same, but very clean.

That bar none is my favorite body style truck. Period. Ever. :rock:

I would shoot for a One ton to get the solid front axle, along with the crew cab, and a real box.

Then, drop a 12v in it and have the perfect diesel. :clap:

Boy, I miss my diesel.:msp_sad:

That bar none is my favorite body style truck. Period. Ever. :rock:

I would shoot for a One ton to get the solid front axle, along with the crew cab, and a real box.

Then, drop a 12v in it and have the perfect diesel. :clap:

Boy, I miss my diesel.:msp_sad:

i was with you up to the 12v part. i swapped a D60 under both my 250s, but i like the 7.3 PSD better than the cummins

I got a boatload of firewood yesterday. We saw two oaks that were down but not on the ground - nice and seasoned ready for the buckin'. We bucked 'em and then rolled them to my boat. It was a lot of wood but the boat handled it great! 15 foot skiff with a 25HP motor.

View attachment 254236
attachment.php

That's AWESOME!!!!! Way to be creative!!

I wonder how well a quasi stripped pontoon would serve you. But by the looks of your set up, it seems you need something that doesn't draft much water.

i was with you up to the 12v part. i swapped a D60 under both my 250s, but i like the 7.3 PSD better than the cummins

The D60 is the way to go. Ditch the IFS of the 250's. :msp_biggrin:

I have had both the 7.3 PSD and Cummins.

I'll take the Cummins any day, BUT I did really like the sloppiness of the ZF5 vs the NV5600, you could just throw the shifter to where you wanted it to go.

The D60 is the way to go. Ditch the IFS of the 250's. :msp_biggrin:

I have had both the 7.3 PSD and Cummins.

I'll take the Cummins any day, BUT I did really like the sloppiness of the ZF5 vs the NV5600, you could just throw the shifter to where you wanted it to go.

they are both go motors, between my father and i we have owned 6 7.3 PSDs, 2 7.3 IDIs, and 7 cummins. right now we have 5 PSDs and 1 cummins

they do shift like a old russian tractor

Progress update, I got what I had by the splitter all split today. I'll stack it tomorrow and hope to get the rest of it split before the weekend. I've got an elm, some ashes, and 4 big honey locusts to do for friends, and if I'm lucky, they'll all be home this weekend, waiting their turn for the splitter.

I got tired of the same old camera views, so I climbed up on the roof of the truck for this one, I think it turned out nice:

attachment.php

By the looks of some of that stuff, you may be able to burn it pretty soon if this fall stays relatively dry...
I'll bet the centers of the big rounds were a bit juicy though... :hmm3grin2orange:
Will that Cottonwood dry standing? Or just go punky???

Tops were fairly dry, the bottoms were still real wet, 10-15' up or so. I suspect it'll dry quick, I'm seeing checking in the first stuff I split already. Some might burn next spring, but likely it'll get burned next fall and spring '14.

2 of the 3 were pretty solid most of the way up, the other was pretty punky. They sure don't stay as solid as elm does.

Tops were fairly dry, the bottoms were still real wet, 10-15' up or so. I suspect it'll dry quick, I'm seeing checking in the first stuff I split already. Some might burn next spring, but likely it'll get burned next fall and spring '14.

2 of the 3 were pretty solid most of the way up, the other was pretty punky. They sure don't stay as solid as elm does.

Will they go punky in the stack too???
If left uncovered?

Hackberry don't like the weather at all!!!
Wondered if Cottonwood was the same way...

Will they go punky in the stack too???
If left uncovered?

Hackberry don't like the weather at all!!!
Wondered if Cottonwood was the same way...

We'll find out I guess. I've cut quite a few of em over the years, but they usually went nearly straight to the stove, maybe seasoned for a couple months at most. For as light as it is dry, going a little punky shouldn't lower the btu output much anyhow :laugh:

We'll find out I guess. I've cut quite a few of em over the years, but they usually went nearly straight to the stove, maybe seasoned for a couple months at most. For as light as it is dry, going a little punky shouldn't lower the btu output much anyhow :laugh:

Ya shelf life with cotton wood is fairly short. Even under cover it will turn to cork within 3-4 yrs. I have burnt quite a bunch of it, I hate the amount of ash it leaves, but its good stuff if it's all ya got.

Funny thing about Hackberry and Ash for that matter, is, if you cut it fresh, and get it split up quick, it seems to weather way better than if it's dead first, then cut and split... The punk sets in quick under that bark!!!
Bark is BAD!!!!
:hmm3grin2orange:

Funny thing about Hackberry and Ash for that matter, is, if you cut it fresh, and get it split up quick, it seems to weather way better than if it's dead first, then cut and split... The punk sets in quick under that bark!!!
Bark is BAD!!!!
:hmm3grin2orange:

That is my findings with the quaking aspen that we have out here.

That is my findings with the quaking aspen that we have out here.

Poplar (Aspen Poplar, maybe we're talking the same tree here) does the same up here too, way above the 49th. Any of it that isn't split and stacked, with liberal air space around the splits, soon goes to mush or still weighs a ton after a year. Leave it on the ground, and you might just as well leave it there anyway.

"Punky" is an accurate & cool term for that effect though !

That is my findings with the quaking aspenView attachment 254406View attachment 254407 that we have out here.

Poplar (Aspen Poplar, maybe we're talking the same tree here) does the same up here too, way above the 49th. Any of it that isn't split and stacked, with liberal air space around the splits, soon goes to mush or still weighs a ton after a year. Leave it on the ground, and you might just as well leave it there anyway.

"Punky" is an accurate & cool term for that effect though !

Yep I think it is the same, not TOO BAD if you cut it green and get it split. Even the standing dead goes bad before your eyes. Here is a couple of pics of some I have in my stack. Look familiar? I suppose I just as well show all of my woodpile since that's the point of this thread. Pretty pale in comparison to some on here, don't beat me up too bad.View attachment 254404View attachment 254405. Still got a bit of splitting to do yet.

Back