Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my ugly piles of wood.

A couple of unsplit piles of ash and iron wood waiting to be split.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And the final product waiting to be burned.

attachment.php

I love your piles, kind of makes me want to grab my axe and go split some more. Even if it's not mine! :msp_biggrin:

Hey Hedgerow, I agree with ya on opting for noodling over wrestling around with a big bunch of twisted wood that ain't ever gonna stack good anyway!!!!

The problem is what to do with all the noodles? That's why I'm trying to come up with a way to use all that tonnage from the splitter to press those noodles back into log form. Sure would make storing em and burning em much easier.:rock:

I take the noodles n mix them with the chips from the chipper and kind of turn them into compost. I just did a small garden with several inches of noodles n chips, then spread some coffee grounds, egg shells and ash over the top. After words I added another inch or so of noodles n chips. I'm figuring I'll also add a layer of year old compost to give it somewhat of a boost in decomposing and come spring I'll have one heck of a base for a garden.

I love your piles, kind of makes me want to grab my axe and go split some more. Even if it's not mine! :msp_biggrin:

I wish you were my neighbor because I have a pile just like that and you would be welcome to split it anytime. Plenty of cld beer.:cheers:

I take the noodles n mix them with the chips from the chipper and kind of turn them into compost. I just did a small garden with several inches of noodles n chips, then spread some coffee grounds, egg shells and ash over the top. After words I added another inch or so of noodles n chips. I'm figuring I'll also add a layer of year old compost to give it somewhat of a boost in decomposing and come spring I'll have one heck of a base for a garden.

Stay away from Walnut. Juglone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whoops!

attachment.php

Was out plowing the yard today, and got a little too close to my campfire wood stack when turning around with the plow truck. The stack used to be level to the top of the fencepost. Guess I need to have a bonfire soon. Restacking it doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

Walnut... miserable species of tree. Filthy crap under 'um all the time and nothin' grows around them... except more walnut trees, and they multiply like weeds. For some reason they tend to attract biting insects and those oversize rats people call squirrels. The transplants from the city living out here put up squirrel feeders; which got me thinking, so I put one up last fall so I'd have a clean shot at those pests... especially the little red ones.

Y'all reminded me or something. Last fall I took down around a dozen walnut trees along the north edge of the yard, using a cable and pulley so they'd drop in the woodlot rather than the lawn... and just took the easy stuff in 8-foot lengths for firewood. Because of the hard lean over the yard, I left the biggest one, planning on taking it after the ground froze... I suppose I should get after that pretty shortly.

Walnut... miserable species of tree. Filthy crap under 'um all the time and nothin' grows around them... except more walnut trees, and they multiply like weeds. For some reason they tend to attract biting insects and those oversize rats people call squirrels. The transplants from the city living out here put up squirrel feeders; which got me thinking, so I put one up last fall so I'd have a clean shot at those pests... especially the little red ones.

Last winter I took out 72 of those little vermin under my bird feeders! They get into everything and ruin it, especially wiring!

I've been giving serious consideration to doing the same. The local LP vender doesn't fill walk-in tanks any more, so you have to go to one of those "trade-a-tank" places. Pricey.

We used to buy kero at a local gas stop/minute market. They closed up last year. It wasn't cheap, but ya didn't have to drive far to get it.

K1 is clear here and it cost 3.79 per gallon and diesel is 10 cents higher gas on the other hand is 3.49 i use kerosene to heat my tiny work shop which is 15x15 my wood pile is terrible im down to one cord :msp_sad:

K1 is clear here and it cost 3.79 per gallon and diesel is 10 cents higher gas on the other hand is 3.49 i use kerosene to heat my tiny work shop which is 15x15 my wood pile is terrible im down to one cord :msp_sad:

You got a whole cord left in February? Lucky Guy!

I'm down to limb wood, a pile of unsplit hickory, and a 1/4 finished splitter...

John

I loaded my woodshed with 4 1/2 cord last fall and still have about 2 cord left, probably 'cause of the "mild" weather.....
I was up "dead wooding" an Oak in my back yard yesterday and got a pic of my woodshed, a little different point of view.
You can see the back half of the shed is empty.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back