Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good, keep it up! Keep chipping away at it, eventually you get wayyyy ahead!
Yea working on it!
I bought my first saw after the divorce of my parents in September 2011. No wood left (We used to have around 30 cords in storage before the divorce started. But I didn't cut anymore since we were likely to move to another place. But instead, we bought the house and the wood storage got split up, and our 15 cords were already burned during the years the divorce was being settled) so I started out with a load of construction leftovers etc to get through the winter. Instant dry but you need to love the nails!:msp_mad: Was able to get enough wood for our home and my gf's until the end of previous month (around 14 cords). Got some more construction leftovers (since yesterday evening) to end the year and start next years burning.

Then I'll start burning oak, almost all stacked in single rows so it dries as quick as possible. And already ready for the 2 years after that so it's going well :D.

I did a little work on Sunday. This was an 18 foot trunk from a red oak that fell through my pasture fence in a snowstorm on Oct 28th 2011.

Got out for about 45 minutes on Saturday morning (before getting rained on), and finally remembered to take some pictures

Weather sucked all weekend here, but I'm hoping this next weekend is nicer. I need to get through that stack of logs pronto, as it's in the way of my planned garden expansion (doubling the size) and backyard landscaping. That area was a complete mess at the start of last summer. A lot of work went into cleaning it up, and a lot still left to do, but it's getting there.

The lean-too part of my BIL's hay barn is 16' wide... The pile is about 8-9 feet tall and 30' deep...
This is what happens when you cut over 200 Hackberry trees out of a fence row, and just don't have the heart to push em' up in a pile and burn em'... Not sure what we gonna do with it all... My nephew may try to sell some of it... :msp_confused:

attachment.php

The lean-too part of my BIL's hay barn is 16' wide... The pile is about 8-9 feet tall and 30' deep...
This is what happens when you cut over 200 Hackberry trees out of a fence row, and just don't have the heart to push em' up in a pile and burn em'... Not sure what we gonna do with it all... My nephew may try to sell some of it... :msp_confused:

attachment.php

That wood is worthless, all the bark isn't facing up :givebeer:

That wood is worthless, all the bark isn't facing up :givebeer:

Baaahhh!!! A pile that big ain't gonna dry worth a flip anyway!!! It'll take 3 years!!!

But it's 30 cord in the bank I guess, and not all up in smoke... The kids worked their ass off hauling that stuff back by the pickup load... When it was in a giant pile, we set up 2 splitters and they went to town...

By-product... Gotta love it...

i bet you think it needs a tarp too????

Maybe :msp_sneaky:

Baaahhh!!! A pile that big ain't gonna dry worth a flip anyway!!! It'll take 3 years!!!

But it's 30 cord in the bank I guess, and not all up in smoke... The kids worked their ass off hauling that stuff back by the pickup load... When it was in a giant pile, we set up 2 splitters and they went to town...

By-product... Gotta love it...

:clap:

Went out and picked up some logging leftovers, a pickup & trailer load a coupla weekends ago, and 4 loads like this today. 2 trailer loads like this fills the truck, and likewise the utility trailer. Full pickup & trailer load makes for a few bucks of camping firewood sales, which will pay my campsite hydro bill !

View attachment 292700

Mostly pine and larch tamarack, with a few chunks of balsam fir to sticky things up ... Love the smell of fresh cut sawdust, it's been far too long of a winter !!!

Love the smell of fresh cut sawdust, it's been far too long of a winter !!!

that it has. i finally got out and trimmed some trees today. split a little out of the pile just before dark too. felt good to have the sun on me again. hard to believe that it was 30 on wednesday and 72 today

Here are some pictures of mine wood splitting area.

View attachment 292729
View attachment 292730
View attachment 292731

(One sees the shortend of one pile on last picture - not
the long side - so it is bigger than one might infer from
picture ... :) :) :) .)

I have 6 or so more deacent sized trees coming in next
week plus perhaps 25 or so small ones (nor requiring
chopping) - then I am done for this season ... .

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of mine wood splitting area.

View attachment 292729
View attachment 292730
View attachment 292731

(One sees the shortend of one pile on last picture - not
the long side - so it is bigger than one might infer from
picture ... :) :) :) .)

I have 6 or so more deacent sized trees coming in next
week plus perhaps 25 or so small ones (nor requiring
chopping) - then I am done for this season ... .

That's a nice lookin' pile you got there.....;)

292731-dsc00060-jpg

Here are a few pics from my upstairs window, I couldn't get a decent pic from ground level.
293112d1367366244-dsc01592-jpg

Closest stacked wood is about 2 cord, mostly oak with some maple and hickory mixed in. Next to that is about 4 cord of 1 year CSS hickory and cherry for next year.
293113d1367366572-dsc01591-jpg

Here is all the wood I brought home and still have to split. Mostly oak with some maple, cherry, and hickory thrown in along with a load of tulip poplar. Too bad the poplar doesn't burn long because it was a pleasure to load compared to the oak, it was like loading styrofoam in comparison to the good hard woods.
293115d1367366890-dsc01575-jpg

A ground pic of some of the wood.
293114d1367366817-trailer-jpg

heres a pic of my little 4x8 trailer.

Last edited:
Back