Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my wood pile in New Zealand

View attachment 306750View attachment 306751

hi guys,

ive been reading this forum for a while, and thought i would contribute.

This is my wood pile so far. Ive just moved onto a block of land with alot of tree's. Lots of them are covering in my future house site and orchard so im going thru and clear felling those areas. The rest are in desperate need of a thin, so im taking out all the smaller stuff and draggin it out with my tractor and a wire rope.
I have made this stack, will split it all and look at selling next winter.

Since reading this forum i have learned heaps. The main thing Ive picked up is forestry tractor winches/ skidding winches. I never knew these existed, and solve the exact problem im having. I have looked high and low in New zealand for one, and only found one place that imports and sell them. The smallest one retails at $8,900NZD, with is about $7,100USD. how does this compare to your prices? im guessing its around double what you guys would pay. its on the wish list. I see how much cash i get from this years firewood, and if it works out like i hope, then i might be in for a brand new winch. anyway, dreams are free.

Ooofff. You're gonna be busy for a few days! Good thing you have lots of saws, you won't have to stop but once a day to fuel & sharpen!

Heh! Used three different saws today to cut up small stems. Ended up with the 361 28" bar because I hit wire with the 310/20". Almost left the 361 home "Oh, I won't need 3 saws today".

Harry K

View attachment 306750View attachment 306751

hi guys,

ive been reading this forum for a while, and thought i would contribute.

This is my wood pile so far. Ive just moved onto a block of land with alot of tree's. Lots of them are covering in my future house site and orchard so im going thru and clear felling those areas. The rest are in desperate need of a thin, so im taking out all the smaller stuff and draggin it out with my tractor and a wire rope.
I have made this stack, will split it all and look at selling next winter.

Since reading this forum i have learned heaps. The main thing Ive picked up is forestry tractor winches/ skidding winches. I never knew these existed, and solve the exact problem im having. I have looked high and low in New zealand for one, and only found one place that imports and sell them. The smallest one retails at $8,900NZD, with is about $7,100USD. how does this compare to your prices? im guessing its around double what you guys would pay. its on the wish list. I see how much cash i get from this years firewood, and if it works out like i hope, then i might be in for a brand new winch. anyway, dreams are free.

Welcome to Arboristsite! :D
Looks like you've done a lot of work. Sounds like you've got a lot more to do. Hope that you are able to get that new winch after selling the wood, it's always a great help to get new toys, I mean tools..... :hmm3grin2orange:

25" logs

I have 25" Oak logs that I got from a Tree Service and wanted to ask you guys if I should cut the logs in half to 12"s or cut off 7" and have 18" firewood to stack better or 12" chunks for the chunk pile?
Why can't they cut 18' wood for me?:hmm3grin2orange:

I have 25" Oak logs that I got from a Tree Service and wanted to ask you guys if I should cut the logs in half to 12"s or cut off 7" and have 18" firewood to stack better or 12" chunks for the chunk pile?

Cause tree service company's can't cut the same length piece of wood twice!!!

I think it's a scientific fact somewhere...
:msp_rolleyes:

It all burns..... :msp_thumbup:
For me it would be 12's, 'cause of my stove. I can work with 12's easier than 7's..... ;)

I believe Hedgerow has it right, they just can't seem to cut the same length twice, must be in their job description..... :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks guys, 12"s it is. Maybe next time I will bring the Tree workers better beer and request wood cut to proper length.

Thanks guys, 12"s it is. Maybe next time I will bring the Tree workers better beer and request wood cut to proper length.

I'm hearing a voice in my head saying something about a gift horse.

Try telling them you'd be fine with 4-5 ft lengths, then you can cut to length. Make less work for them, not more.:wink2:

That is what annoys me, I sell wood 16 to 18 inches long and most of the wood I get is cut to 20-25. Cant blame them for it though, cause that is technically fireplace length. Sure is a pain to cut a inch or few off each one though......

1010846_10201714554884843_758819415_n.jpg

recent score from neighborhood trees. biggest trunk was 48+" in diameter. had some help from a couple friends and now have most of it bucked to length, what an excuse to pull out the big saws!!

Had to buy new B&C today. Didn't get to cut at all. I burned a good chain up and I'm fairly certain I pinched my laminated bar. Out 100$ by the time I left the dealer. I hate that place it's like a toy store for adults.

I can get back to cutting tomorrow!

null_zps1aad15e9.jpg

I think you guys were ground zero for that damn bug...

It ain't made it here yet...

I think the Japanese beetles told them it was a good place to terrorize. Would have been better if it was a box elder or cottonwood borer. @#$% things grow like weeds.

I think the Japanese beetles told them it was a good place to terrorize. Would have been better if it was a box elder or cottonwood borer. @#$% things grow like weeds.

No doubt!!!
Never see a Popple beetle!!! Or honey locust killing blight!!!
Noooooo....
Them suns a beeches gotta kill perfectly good shade trees!!!
:mad:

Latest posts

Back