Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bit of splitting today as the darn gum was so hard it just bounced my maul,, gonna be good burning tho

View attachment 508862

Hardwood like that you need to split like a 50c piece - not like a pie

Doing it that way you'll find it just divides easily with the grain

I prefer to split hardwoods than the softer stuff - and you can do it more quickly manually with a blockbuster (per your pic) than with a mechanical splitter - I demonstrated this at an ag field day, much to the annoyance of the blokes selling the mechanical splitters

:chop:

J rider, what kind of splitters. Super split? How many man hrs go into that pile. Very impressive. Luke
I have an iron and oak with a 4 way on it. Hard to say how many man hours in that pile because I worked on it off and on since early January. I did make one roughly that size in about 3 weeks last summer though, with some help on the splitter. I do all of the cutting though since that's the fun part.

Hardwood like that you need to split like a 50c piece - not like a pie

Doing it that way you'll find it just divides easily with the grain

I prefer to split hardwoods than the softer stuff - and you can do it more quickly manually with a blockbuster (per your pic) than with a mechanical splitter - I demonstrated this at an ag field day, much to the annoyance of the blokes selling the mechanical splitters

:chop:

ta bloke yer right, work it around the edge use the grain to your advantage tho my picture was just example of a full hit penetration and yes agree again some hard woods split easy,, it the short grain stuff like sugar gum that will put up a fight i more often dont need mechanical axe happy with my maul just this stuff saw me knackered after a short while with little to show for ma sweat.. welcome to AS pop over here if u wanna yak with the mob
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/the-all-aussie-dribble-thread.175005/

ta bloke yer right, work it around the edge use the grain to your advantage tho my picture was just example of a full hit penetration and yes agree again some hard woods split easy,, it the short grain stuff like sugar gum that will put up a fight i more often dont need mechanical axe happy with my maul just this stuff saw me knackered after a short while with little to show for ma sweat.. welcome to AS pop over here if u wanna yak with the mob
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/the-all-aussie-dribble-thread.175005/

Thanks mate - and sorry, it was only after posting that I noticed your post count and realised that you probably have a reasonable idea of how to split hardwood ...

:hi:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I am up to 45' long on the last pile I posted but am now close to the older logs so I moved to another pile I started in the winter. I hate to jump around but I had so many logs delivered in the winter, I couldn't keep them as orderly as I like. This new pile I'm working on was 35' long at the end of today. That puts me up to 160' of piles. Last pic was my reward once I got home from my moms farm.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Back