Post Your Climbing Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian,

I bet it is a little unnerving to have that top hanging over your head for a few seconds. I have used cranes but only for storm damage removal. Great pics!

I am hoping Tom will post some pics from his climb that was on CBS this morning. What about the rest of you guys?

Limb%20walk%20on%20a%20White%20Pine.jpg

Only one I could find where you can see me. About 3 years old, a buddy took.

Cant seem to size it right with corel tonight.

My sister installed Corel on my machine so she can do her moonlight stuff, mostly menues for diners.

So she comes in and changes parameters and I have to wait for her to fix it :confused:.

This way I ain't paying for the softwear I hardly ever use.

Erik: I can't see you in your picture. :confused:

Brian: I'd feel vulnerable without a hemet! I'm glad you wear one now! Keeps you around a little bit longer, especially with all the thinking faculties.

ssaconf.jpg
buckeyelove.jpg

Circled one is me...... I switched faces to make myself more recognizable. :) I thought putting my other body in the picture would be overkill.

Nickrosis

Nick,
I just started wearing a helmet this year, when I got back into climbing. I was required to wear a standard hardhat a several companies in the past, but common sense tells me that they are worthless in a tree without a chinstrap (but a chinstrap is a CHOKING HAZARD, so you cannot have one!). I feel much more at ease now knowing I have a small piece of plastic protecting my skull, and not having to keep it balanced on my head while climbing.

Nick,

Maybe this pic will be a little better. My girlfriend brightened it up a bit and circled me. All the more reason to get a nice digital camera... hmmm, maybe for X-mas??

:D
Erik

Originally posted by kf_tree
nice pics.

did you paint your helmet or did it come in green?

Ken sent me a private message with regards to painting Petzl helmets and that it might compromise the safety of it. My helmet is manufactured by Fibre-Metal and is made of fiber glass, not a type of “plastic” like the Petzl. It was painted at the factory so I repainted it the color of my choice. Check with the manufacturer of your helmet before painting it.

Thanks for the heads-up Ken.

And off it goes. This (cottonwood) removal took two days of rigging with lines, and one day to get the wood down with the crane. What a waste of time, not bringing the crane in right from the start! The bottom section was 22 feet high, averaged 7 foot diameter (nine at base) Estimated weight: 20 tons. I sold the wood to a guy who wanted to carve it into a sculpture (which he never did, it still sits on his farm, rotting now.

Very impressive, Fred!!

I've done some biggies, some that took that long, but never that big, specially not a cottonwood!

Some yrs ago, we got 2500 board feet of peelers from the bottom 50 feet of a cottonwood, that was 5 feet dbh, over 6 at the ground, but only 50 yrs old.

Today's tree, a young, double trunked 110 foot poplar, took about four hours to get down. It produced 12 yards of chips. We speedlined most of it. $ 900, a bit low, but 300 more for a one hour cedar teardown helped. Plus an hour bucking wood and cleanup...

dammm, fred that was a monster. i love the pics when the climber looks like an insect. it really puts those big tree's in perspective. when you watch some one start going up a monster removal, it like how is that little guy going to cut that monster down. but piece by piece they come down.

Latest posts

Back