Post Your Climbing Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jsirbasku

jsirbasku

ArboristSite Member
heres a pic of a big ole silver maple i had removed for a family member---$1000.00.
Took me and my wife 2 days , chip on site, leave all wood.
It is hard to tell from the pic but most all of this tree had to be rigged. There was a septic field just below and there were 20-30 pvc tubes sticking out of the ground up about 18" and located about every 6-8 ft.
The job was for my wife's grandfathers brother and he just about had a coranary when i told him what i would normally charge for a tree this size

jsirbasku

jsirbasku

ArboristSite Member
Forgot the weight rating on the crane, but with the jib on, it had a 130' side reach. MONSTER crane.
Truck crane shows up with operater and spotter, a second truck shows up with just the counterweights.

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
That IS a huge crane! Sounds like a 125 ton at least. Beautiful view! Too bad you had to work that day, looks like the perfect spot for a picnic. :p

Tim Gardner

Tim Gardner

ArboristSite Guru
Thank you JPS for giving the tip about the cube at Pier 1 and ragging me about the cheap throw line I used. I went out today to test my new spool of 2.2 mm Zing-It and was able to hit limbs over 80’. I was able to hit great heights with the cheap throw line but it would not always come back down. Zing-It slides right over rough bark and limb tips with no problem.

I wound up climbing the same tree I was in at the beginning of this thread and found out it is 92’ tall. That is not a big deal to most people at this site but here in SC it is unusual for trees to be over 60’. I am still looking forward to climbing that water oak that is well over 100’ I saw last week. If I get permission to climb it I will have pictures. Maybe I can get a few climbers from my area to join me.

Tim Gardner

Tim Gardner

ArboristSite Guru
Four guys jumped on the pull line when I was throwing this small top out. :eek: Check that 020 floating in the air. That stub moved at least 6' in both directions! If I had not been cutting from the side I would have kicked out. Why they thought it would take 4 people to pull that top I will never know. Maybe they were testing my steel core flip line. :rolleyes:

murphy4trees

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tim,
That looks like no fun... no fun at all.
A couple of threads come to mind when looking at that last pic..
Skinny pines..
plunging the spar..
the thread on safety Brian started after your friend was killed..
Here's a quote from the safety thread that I wrote..
"Clear communication, especially from climber to ground support, and being willing to stop the work long enough to make sure everyone knows what's going on, even if that seems redundant... "
Now that's a perfect example... You'd expect the ground suppoprt to know how much pull to use and when to stop pulling and let it fall. They've probably done it right a hundred times.. so what happenned on the 101st??? It might have SEEMED redundant or a waste of time to check with them to make sure they knew how much pull you were looking for. To me it's worth the extra time just to make sure.
Also from the same thread... "getting a sense when the energy of a crew is off.. seeing the little warnings, the mini-mishaps (broken polesaws... mishandled chainsaws, damage to fences, planters....trips, slips,and scrapes etc).. these warnings are always present prior to accidents for those who are paying attention"
In my way of thinking you've had your warning.. Something is amiss with the ground crew... They did something that put your safety in jepardy... Next time you might get hurt. So a serious talk is in order... not over lunch or coffee. And keep your awareness up.. watch them and protect yourself.

What kind of notch did you use?...
There was quite a bit of discussion about type of notch and backcut speed , etc on the skinny pines thread.
I guess you were not using an open face because you didn't want the but to kick back towards the house.
Also were you tied in using a choked climbing line as well as the steel core lanyard?
And what kind of chain saw lanyard were you using?
To me that's another safety issue.. using a saw lanyard lets the climber drop the saw without thinking and use both hands to secure his safety.
Safe climbing to all.
God Bless,
Daniel

John Paul Sanborn

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Hey, things happen even to the safest people.

I had a guy I worked for very often, alwys got dragers from a temp agency.

I got this guy on a line to rig a modest branch out, as I'm finishing the backcut, Jeff calls the guy to the chipper to go over safe operations. Nothing happend to the fence:rolleyes:, glad it was not over the garage.

BTW, look Brian is cathcing up to me in posts!

http://www.ArboristSite.com/memberlist.php?s=&what=topposters&perpage=10

Tim Gardner

Tim Gardner

ArboristSite Guru
Daniel,

It didn't do any good with the comunication on that one. I always tell them slow steady pull. I started cutting there were two pulling. I felt the tree lean over and there were 4. It was too late by that time. The top was coming over. The other two people were from a landscape crew.

You bet your a$$ I was tied in with my climbing line wrapped and my steel core. I never throw a top without wrapping my line.

If you would have read the post you will see I wrote 020. And why do you think the saw was floating in the air? I was holding on to the spar. lol. I never climb with out a saw lanyard. You can see the lanyard in the pic.

The type of face cut I use causes the top to jump off as it comes over. Done it hundreds of times. If you look at the size of the tree where I was cutting there is not room for plunging the spar. lol. I was having to hold on because the tree was drawn over and the top came off. Not because the top pushed the spar back.

Daniel are you not looking at the pictures and reading the posts before you reply? The answers to most of the questions you asked are obvious.

murphy4trees

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tim,
That pic and your story reminds me of another story I heard a few weeks back..
I was talking to the little brother of a local tree guy who told me about the time his big brother "tried to kill him". He hadn't been climbing very long and his brother sent him up a tall skinny ash leaning hard, directly over a house, to take the top out.. He set a pull line and big brother pulled the treee up straight with the winch and told him to cut it.
Now that had to be a ride....
And seriosly what kind of notch do you use to "throw" tops?
It works well as per the pic.. I would guess 15-20* notch and a quick backcut.. And I'd like to hear it from you.
The way I plunge skinny trees is to start with plunge... just about dead center.. then second cut the notch, leaving the desired thickness of hinge. Then third cut the back release... I haven't used it often and it seems to work well. I'll have to experiment with it some more though..
God Bless,
Daniel