Potential addition to the wood hustle family...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnice_37

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
You guys are more than knowledgeable on the subject so I figured to ask here.

Met a guy through CL when he advertised a non-running Stihl 025 (currently in my stable.) He was a nice guy and showed me a Kubota he was selling as well.

1998 B2100, 4wd, HST, tractor style tires, FEL, 540hrs and always garaged.

Kubota_Excavator_1.jpg

This guy keeps his things immaculate, and the tractor is no exception. His asking price is $6000 and it seems fair from what I've seen out there.

We have about an acre plot here that backs up to woods. About a 50'x50' section is a "mound" raised a good 4' above the level yard. Long term I'd like to level this out and slope the yard out further back to get more use of our yard and still have plenty of privacy with the woods at our back. Soil is somewhat sandy, rather rocky back there buy haven't hit huge boulders yet.

Am I crazy to think I can accomplish this with a 21hp tractor? How about just the FEL? I mean it will take a little while, but can't see paying someone the same amount of money to level it out if I can do it and have a great excuse for a tractor.

Oh, the earth will go into the woods, plenty of holes and paths to dump off of.

Other uses will be normal wood hauling/ handling from woods or moving stacks. Potential for plow maybe, other random tractor like tasks.

Price?
Plan?

Thanks.

Since no one else has responded, I will jump in. As far a a material handling goes, the tractor will probably do okay. However, it was not designed for digging or as an earth mover. If you are dead set on doing it with this machine, I would invest in some type of subsoiler or ripping shank to loosen the soil first.

. About a 50'x50' section is a "mound" raised a good 4' above the level yard.

Ok, I have to ask the silly question for folk who own an acre, you sure that's not an engineered leach field?

Once that's out of the way, I'd say Guido has a good idea...that tractor is pretty small for digging, but it'll chip away at it.

Probably a bit more with today's fuel prices, I've rented a Bobcat for $250 for an 8 hour day in the past. LOT more weight and hydraulic power -- the difference the weight makes noticeable compared to my '53 Ferguson TO-35 even. Then you add on better traction and better hydraulics of the Bobcat.

Maybe the folks with more experience can chip in, I'm thinking if there's no boulders 2 or 3 long days in a Bobcat would take care of that mound.

Get yourself a box blade. We have moved a lot of dirt with a 5 foot box blade behind a old Ford 8n. Just put the tines down to start ripping, then finish out using the blade.

man you will be amazed at what you can do with that little tractor..
i had a b2910 29 horse.. loved it... hydraulics are strong for the size machine.. they will dig.. go for it..it will take a while to move that much but it will do it..and the more you use that tractor, the more you will like it..
i also agree that a grader box blade is in order...

Ok, I have to ask the silly question for folk who own an acre, you sure that's not an engineered leach field? Once that's out of the way, I'd say Guido has a good idea...that tractor is pretty small for digging, but it'll chip away at it.

Probably a bit more with today's fuel prices, I've rented a Bobcat for $250 for an 8 hour day in the past. LOT more weight and hydraulic power -- the difference the weight makes noticeable compared to my '53 Ferguson TO-35 even. Then you add on better traction and better hydraulics of the Bobcat.

Maybe the folks with more experience can chip in, I'm thinking if there's no boulders 2 or 3 long days in a Bobcat would take care of that mound.

EXACTLY what I was thinking.....;)

EXACTLY what I was thinking.....;)

"Hey Joe, You smell something...?"..

"No Fred, keep digging...."........:laugh:

Regardless if you use it for moving the dirt, for the price that is a good deal in my opinion. I would be peeling off Franklins in a hurry were I any where near that deal.

:msp_thumbup:

Regardless if you use it for moving the dirt, for the price that is a good deal in my opinion. I would be peeling off Franklins in a hurry were I any where near that deal.

:msp_thumbup:

Dang Straight! Thats a killer price for my area.

Great machine, great price. If you don't buy, let me know. I'd run up to MA to buy that machine.

As others have said, the bucket is for carrying. A digging device, box blade, sub soiler, etc. will break the material loose. It will work and cause no harm - if you go eeeaassy.

We have had a bucket tractor since 1994. Before that it was all by hand - you have no idea what you'll use it for until you have it. It becomes a lifter, a power wheelbarrow, an everything.

Buy, Buy, Buy,

Bill
ps. I'm serious about the offer to come pick it up - please let me know if you're turning it down!

Ok, I have to ask the silly question for folk who own an acre, you sure that's not an engineered leach field?

Great feedback guys. The "mound" was once wooded and since the caterpillars killed a lot of the trees, I have cut down the dead stuff. So now it is bare. It is not a leeching field, I know where that guy is.

I can probably get a Bobcat from a friend or relative, so that is definitely good advice.

Great machine, great price. If you don't buy, let me know.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks, I'll keep you all updated.

I would buy that thing today for that price.

I would not even think about moving that much dirt with a tractor that small. That tractor has a purpose and moving that much dirt is not one of the. The hydraulics are slow and the loader metal isn't that strong.

The local excavator would move that in a short day and it would look better and be flatter. Then use your new tractor to finish it off by renting a pulverizer.

gg

Latest posts

Back