Poulan 2450 - Muffler Mod & Trouble tuning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Weld

If it aint broke, it aint mine!
Reaction score
Yall go easy on me....I am new to CAD and she has been a cruel mistress so far. :confused:

So my neighbor's old 2450 needed new fuel lines and I volunteered to work on it. Nothing like experimenting with someone else chainsaw. :D I wanted to try porting a muffler and I figured this would be a perfect candidate because it was not mine. ;) Besides, he said he was "through with it, and I could do whatever I wanted to it. He did not care."

So I started reading up on modding a muffler. Then off came the muffler and out came the drill bits. I drilled a couple of 5/8" holes through the interior baffle and reinstalled it with the spark screen intact. I then drilled a series of 1/8" holes in the front of the muffler right where the edge turns down into the recess on the front of the muffler. I think there are 6. I installed new fuel lines, cleaned it all up in general, and got it all put back together.

I set the idle screw until it just kissed the throttle, then started with the L/H screws 1 1/2 turns out. It fired right up and I let it warm up. I got it to idle really nice, and when I hit the throttle she comes up to WOT smooth and fast. It sounds nice (she is not screaming and sounds ready to eat).....and I think :rock:!!!! The problem is that after I let off of WOT, she dies. She will not start up after that. I mean she wont pop or anything, so I assume she is flooded like crazy. I let her sit for a while and then start again. I have done this three times with the same results.

Did I open the muffler up too much? Am I too rich on my H screw? :confused:

The last Poulan I worked on needed 1 turn for both the L and the H from Lightly seated. Give that a try.

Well, I figured it out. I had to let the L screw out about 1/4 turn. Throttle response is great and she idles down just fine now.

I just cannot believe how much of a difference porting the muffler made. It is still a Poulan, but that sucker roars and was eating through an old chunk or red oak like a champ! :chainsaw: :givebeer:

Yall go easy on me....I am new to CAD and she has been a cruel mistress so far. :confused:

So my neighbor's old 2450 needed new fuel lines and I volunteered to work on it. Nothing like experimenting with someone else chainsaw. :D I wanted to try porting a muffler and I figured this would be a perfect candidate because it was not mine. ;) Besides, he said he was "through with it, and I could do whatever I wanted to it. He did not care."

So I started reading up on modding a muffler. Then off came the muffler and out came the drill bits. I drilled a couple of 5/8" holes through the interior baffle and reinstalled it with the spark screen intact. I then drilled a series of 1/8" holes in the front of the muffler right where the edge turns down into the recess on the front of the muffler. I think there are 6. I installed new fuel lines, cleaned it all up in general, and got it all put back together.

I set the idle screw until it just kissed the throttle, then started with the L/H screws 1 1/2 turns out. It fired right up and I let it warm up. I got it to idle really nice, and when I hit the throttle she comes up to WOT smooth and fast. It sounds nice (she is not screaming and sounds ready to eat).....and I think :rock:!!!! The problem is that after I let off of WOT, she dies. She will not start up after that. I mean she wont pop or anything, so I assume she is flooded like crazy. I let her sit for a while and then start again. I have done this three times with the same results.

Did I open the muffler up too much? Am I too rich on my H screw? :confused:
JB, it was not necessary to drill the baffle. The baffle with the two slots and twelve holes has a open area of 0.474 square inch . The rear outlet open area is 0.093 square inch . Your six 1/8" holes only added 0.073 square inch to the outlet . Next mod try a .25" by .50" hole downstream from both louvers which will be about a 10% of displacement opening . This works well for my 044 and my PP220 .

Latest posts

Back