Poulan 245A piston rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 119840

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Now when I think back on when I rebuilt my 245A, my piston rings did not look like the official one's. The one's I bought when I was going to rebuild my saw was quite different. As you can see, the ends of the ring are angled. I remember I did file them down to be flat at the ends. Now, to get to my question. Does it matter if my rings looks different than the official one's? The one's I got was angled in the wrong direction. The one's in this eBay article were angled like this:

PISTON KIT FIT POULAN 245, 245A CHAIN SAW, REPLACE PART # 23253, NEW | eBay

Edit: I've had no problems running it, it just made me quite concerned when I think of it.

Attachments

• WP_20150701_11_21_48_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150701_11_21_48_Pro.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 8
The shape aligns the ring gap on the pins in the ring groove so they don't spin and snag a port.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

If your rings are not pinned, then the shape they had means nothing beyond providing the correct end gap...and prevent blow by

I see. Well I guess there's no need to worry, as I've had no problems running it so far. I admit I have not run it too much ever since I rebuilt it. That was six years ago. But I recently checked the exhaust port, and it looks good.

I see. Well I guess there's no need to worry, as I've had no problems running it so far. I admit I have not run it too much ever since I rebuilt it. That was six years ago. But I recently checked the exhaust port, and it looks good.
Did you check ring gaps before install, after filing?

Latest posts

Back