Poulan 2500 Sprocket Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdzimmermann

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What are the steps to replace a worn chain sprocket for a Poulan 2500 ? I beleive I need to remove the clutch assembly first. How do I do that ?

You need to stop the piston with either a plastic piston stop in the spark plug hole or a ton of string fished in the hole if you are using a conventional ratchet. If you want to try an impact wrench you may not need to bother with a stop, that is what the dealers do. Just remember it probably has reverse threads on the clutch nut so pay close attention.

Fishing line is not a good thing to stuff into the cylinder.

Using a bight of recoil cord works too.

When you reassemble, put just a touch of grease on the crankshaft to lube the bearing of the clutch. Snug up the clutch.

Tom

Tom, only an idiot would put fishing line in a cylinder. If you look closely I said "some string fished into" the cylinder;) The is nothing wrong with using string but you have to put quite a bit in there. I would recommend purchasing a cheap plastic piston stop.

Well, I think I found another useful forum ! Thanks for all the input on replacing the sprocket. The worst part was trying to order one from Poulan. It took about 45 minutes of waiting on the phone. The Poulan clutch "core" itself threads onto the shaft. I used the advise of shoving some rope into the cylinder, and that worked out great. 'Also made sure to lube the shaft and new bearing before reassembling. I will probably go ahead and sell the Poulan though, and step up to a Stihl or Husky based on what I read on this forum.

Back