Poulan 305 saves 2 cars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
Well took matters into my own hands today. ^%$# insurance adjuster didnt show again. Must not work on Sat during storms. But any how couldnt stand it any longer. Didnt want to use the big stuff and to much for the little stuff, so I chose the poulan 305 49cc. Put a 8t .325 16" and some stihl rm (i think) green marking with safety bumps. Dug in with 2 floor jacks and used old wood from barn to make taller jacks to lift barn roofing off. Man that old oak barn wood is hard. But we gotter done. Not as bad as it looked. But at least not totaled. Heres some pics the wife shot to prove to insurance later. Still have to go save the 66 and riding mowers,go kart, atv, etc.
CopyofDSCF0001.jpg

CopyofDSCF0006.jpg

CopyofDSCF0007.jpg

CopyofDSCF0016.jpg

CopyofDSCF0023.jpg

CopyofDSCF0038.jpg

CopyofDSCF0044.jpg

CopyofDSCF0055.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah i know I had the best protective gear made on. lol. Sweatpants, very long t-shirt and steel toed boots. When the insurance crap is over and anyone wants some of this old oak wood. You cut and haul for the taken. The barn salvage guys will come haul it all for the wood and i know they get a mint for this wood. I will give people from here first crack at the free wood for fire place mantels etc (from the 1880's most of it). I am also going to cut me some nice square cants out too. Talk about hard cutting. Oh forgot to say. Plenty of nails to dodge too, caught a few digging out the cars. But it was worth it. That pic of cutting over the 69 hood scared me. If you could only seen how close it was to come through the cut.

Last edited:
I'm seeing it again but it's still hard to believe that happened. Man that's tough.
I don't know what to say. Keep diggin those cars out. Thanks for posting the update. Feeling for ya, man.

Reminds me of when I jacked my barn up to build a foundation and remove the bottom 2' of rotten wood.

It's not especially fun or pleasant work :(

You might try selling some of your more choice beams on ebay. I've sold different types of wood on ebay at a fixed price/per foot. You could probably do really well with your 1" planks that way.

Had my 3000 out today, 16" .325 7 tooth. Was cutting some 2x6 girths to length for my workshop in progress project. I think I am going to be buried with that saw, which is fine cause I'll probably have done something stupid with it when I cash in.
After knowing what a a friend of mines run in with the insurance company is like after a tornado leveled half his farm buildings I wish you the best of luck.

Lookin like you'll be just poppin out superficial dents and those cars will be just fine with some little touchups. classic Detroit iron like that just dont wanna die.

Boy do i wish they were superfical dents. The 69 is creased and pushed down bad on the roof top, But the 69 GM SS hood was in alot better shape then I thought, and my new 1/4's and fenders from the 90's look ok, thank goodness. The 65 was hurt worse then i thought it was, every fender, trunk lid, hood, top framing, etc.. Will keep you updated. Son has 2 BB games tomorrow, so dont know if I will be able to save the 66 yet or not.

Sunday- Poulan 220

Well being the boy had 2 ballgames Sunday starting at 1. I decided to get the little Poulan 220 12" b+c into action this sunday morning and try and save some mowers and go kart. All went well so far and there was damage that hopefully is repairable to everything saved. Using floor jacks and post from barn lifted enough roof so i could cut them free.
CopyofDSCF0001-1.jpg

CopyofDSCF0008.jpg

Cut, nice to see you in such good spirits after such a mess. Just be carefull around all that timber. You and the family don't need 2 messes to deal with if you know what I mean.

That wood will fetch a pretty penny but you have to be darn sure to run a strong magnet over it for nails.

Update

Me and the poulan 220 went and saved the 66 impala convt today. It took a lot of floor jack work and braces to jack the roof up high enough to pull the 66 out. The last pic is of all the cars out. The car adjuster showed up today and said the 65 and 69 are totaled. But I told him to adjust it to below the 80% mark, because I wanted to keep the cars and try and restore them down the road. He said he would see what he could do. The 66 only had a busted windshield, that I could tell from a quick look over. It wasnt insured yet, do to being the new project.
By the way lawn masters, I do have more then 3 riding mowers. lol. I have 3 or more of everything used in taking care of the yard work. Just something that I started doing, when you live out away from close parts runs and when something breaks down in the middle of something, i just grab the next one in line. It also makes mowing go quicker when 3 people are mowing at the same time. Phew, getting closer. 66 in background.
CopyofDSCF0009.jpg

CopyofDSCF0011.jpg

CopyofDSCF0021.jpg

CopyofDSCF0026.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to see and hear about the damage Kevin. That really sucks to happen to your garage and your cars. Glad you and the house are ok. We got hit hard by the storms last week too. I lost power weds night and didn't get it back until about midnight on sunday night/monday morning.

I worked a ton of OT for work, and in my free time, lol, helped clean up damaged trees. Helped a good friend of mine with his garage. looked a lot like yours, meaning wood barn that had the roof caved in. I like your idea of the jack and the beam. We were able to use his tractor with a bucket and forks on it to lift the beams. I chose my 55 rancher for the task (didn't want to ruin the good saws, lol). Needless to say, I've got enough firewood for probably the next three winters. I've estimated i brought in about 25-30 cords just this past week and this weekend. I still have a couple more sites to help clean up. Lots of oak came down.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

-Steve

Steve, since you live east of me, I will post what i have been reading about the storm. 4 tornados were spotted in counties east of my place in diffrent counties. We didnt see a funnel, but winds were recorded at 100 MPH from what I have read in the papers, in this area. The 50'x70' 2 story barn just lifted off the foundation and moved as a whole unit before crashing down.
The floor jack idea has worked out well and I still need to go save my plow units for winter. Both of them are still buried in the mess. Here's a before and after of the same angle pics of barn.
scan0006.jpg

DSCF0083.jpg

Last edited:
Back