Poulan 330 Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time I used my 330 I was impressed with the very low noise output for the cutting power it produced. It is easy to make a saw loud and powerful and I am sure that they left a lot of performance on the table for advanvced tuners to find, but even in its stock form it is very impressive.:hmm3grin2orange:

I left a lot on the table in this build, the timing numbers I used are very low. It has 200psi and could handle a bunch more exhaust timing before loss of compression became factor. I want a saw that has loads of torque though, so it will be left as is.

With 3/8s

[video=youtube;GH7VKM7o7Ms]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH7VKM7o7Ms[/video]

[video=youtube;sRdvmNcLy5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRdvmNcLy5k[/video]

The 3/8 chain has the rakers too low. I'll do another when I get a new chain for this bar.

Nice, Randy, real nice. Love the burble after a couple cuts at WOT.

It may still need more muffler outlet, I'm going to run it as is for a few months then make a decision on that. It does pretty good, for a Poulan. :hmm3grin2orange:

Running really good and it don't seem to make much differnce what chain you use!

It really didn't seem to speed up with the 3/8 did it?!?!?

That chain ain't much at all though. It showed up on an old saw that we got, the rakers were way low on one side. Now they are low all around, but it does cut straight. :D

+1. Sounds like it hold rpms real well!:msp_thumbsup:

The port timing numbers on this saw are fairly low, in the mid 150° range. I could raise the numbers 10° or so to make it faster, at least in small wood, but it may lose some torque. I prefer a saw that I can lean on so I tend to port conservatively.

Looking good Randy. What are you running for a 3/8 rim, 7 pin? Have you tried a 8 pin .325 to compare yet?

The only 8 pin .325 rim I have on hand is for a mini spline (026) It would be an interesting comparison.

I've been busier than ever the last few weeks. This time of year nobodies weedwacker will start and we get covered up. I'll get a chance to play before too long (I hope) and then I'll do some testing perhaps. :)

I hate to revive a post thats so old but i see alot of you guys are really knowledgeable about these old Poulan saws. I have my grandfathers old poulan 2800 that still runs but is a little weak on the compression. Id love to swap the cylinder and piston with something to give this saw alot more power. What is the biggest swap i can do without any actual modification? I was looking at the 3300 for about $70 but if i could go bigger that would be awesome. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Back