Poulan 3314 Chain Question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend of mine stopped by with a dull chain on his new Poulan 3314 and asked me to sharpen it for him. I said, "Sure. I'll use by little Granberg grinder and have it done in a jiffy."

Well, it only took about half as long as I figured. That's because there were only about half as many teeth on the chain as my Mac 3514 carries, even though both saws have 14" bars. No teeth were broken off that I could tell, but I doubt there were more than 8 teeth on each side of the chain for a total of 16 in all. The chain would skip at least two links before the next tooth would appear. In between there were at least two rakers.

Now, I am rather sure this was the original chain that came with the saw, and that this is not a manufacturing fluke. Or was it? Why do they make these chains with so few cutting teeth? Are they just for light duty pruning work? The teeth were also smaller in length than the ones on my Mac.

Very common on new small cheap saws. cutter, strap, strap, cutter.

On Poulans, McColloughs, Homelites, maybe Husquapoulans. Craftsmans.

Oregon made on most, maybe Chinese too.
You pay for the cutters.

Thanks men. I truly thought for awhile that I was seeing things as I sharpened this ridiculous "toy" for my friend, who has little money to buy a really good saw. It makes no sense at all to sell a saw with a junk chain like this to men trying to earn a living by pruning small trees that often need to be felled.

Please forgive me, Poulan, but that just ain't right. At least give an owner of your saw a chain with some teeth so that the chain that doesn't look like it came from a dime store! :censored:

There, my rant is over--maybe. :(

Forum, should I buy this poor devil a decent replacement chain for his saw with some teeth in it that works? Or, should I just let him keep struggling with what Poulan supplied out of the box?

Last edited:
Nothing like a skip chain,for cutting 2~4" diameter wood.
Talk about grabby and vibration!!
There was one on the little Sears/Poulan that i picked up a couple years back.
I made a bout 3 cuts and tossed it in the parts bin (might want a cutter sometime).

This is a very old thread!

Its really a way to keep a reasonable sized bar on an underpowered saw. Seen very often on power pole saws as well.
No, the little Poulans can easily pull full comp lo pro. It's just cheap junk chain to save money.

I grind off all the shark fins and use it on my pole saw.

This is a very old thread!

No, the little Poulans can easily pull full comp lo pro. It's just cheap junk chain to save money.

I grind off all the shark fins and use it on my pole saw.

Oh no! I hate when people do that. How did I drag that up? I'll put myself on a one week timeout for that.

Sorry guys!

Latest posts

Back