Poulan 3400 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alec

Reaction score
Hey guys first post here. This forum has been great for info so far but I'm having a problem that I can't seem to find an answer for. I've got a poulan 3400 and the automatic oiler does not work! The manual oiler works great but not the auto oiler portion of it. I've taken the pump apart and cleaned it as best I could and even replaced the diaphragm and still nothing 😑 manual oiler seems to push out more oil now though so that's a good thing I guess. Any help is appreciated!

Welcome aboard! Lots of threads posted on that series of saw oilers if you search.

There’s also a “Nik’s Poulan Thread”, under the “Chainsaw Stickies” section, that has a lot of knowledgable folks on it.

Best guesses are that the oil pump check valves (two of them) need pressure tested & then the impulse hole in the crankcase needs a stiff pipe cleaner ran through it. Don’t use a drill, as the passage goes directly into the crankshaft.

You can also go to “The Beg for Manuals” sticky thread at the top & request a copy of the service manual for your saw.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/poulan-3400-oiler.352767/latest

Welcome aboard! Lots of threads posted on that series of saw oilers if you search.

There’s also a “Nik’s Poulan Thread”, under the “Chainsaw Stickies” section, that has a lot of knowledgable folks on it.

Best guesses are that the oil pump check valves (two of them) need pressure tested & then the impulse hole in the crankcase needs a stiff pipe cleaner ran through it. Don’t use a drill, as the passage goes directly into the crankshaft.

You can also go to the “Beg for manuals” sticky thread & request a copy of the service manual for your saw.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/poulan-3400-oiler.352767/latest

Another item to consider and likely the culprit is the pump diaphragm. They are prone to soften up. You’ll need to find a new one or make one. Problem is new ones are nla, thus making one is ur best bet.

Soo I took the pump apart and poked out and sprayed more cleaner into the little check valve holes, put my old diaphragm back in and now it's working. I read a thread where someone used a bicycle inner tube for diaphragm material and that obviously didn't work, was to thick/stiff. I figured The old diaphragm only had to push down the pintle and the return spring would push it back up and sure enough it's all good now!

Back