Poulan 42cc, 18 inch, Chainsaw uses ALOT of bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhyland

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can help me.
I have recently bought a Poulan 42cc, 18 inch Chainsaw from Princess Auto, First off, it ran like crap, so I adjusted the Carb and It runs OK I guess now. The Second thing is, The Bar oil...I Used my chainsaw for the first time today for a total of about half an hour, and within that period It used 2 full tanks of Bar oil, I highly DOUBT if that is normal.
While I was adjusting the carb, I had the saw on a rubber mat on my shop table, as the ajustments were taking place, I noticed the chain was spraying out bar oil and it was actually pooling on the mat.
After dumping MORE bar oil into it, then using the saw for about another 5 minutes, the darn chain CAME OFF! It was not loose, was ajusted correctly, so not sure what happened there.
OR, should I just give up and return it to Princess auto for another one? They also have a 20 inch, Which is better? the 18 inch or the 20 inch?:deadhorse: :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Too much time...

Ya, that you have TOO MUCH time on your hands to go through lists of sawa on the internet and list them here, then you also have too much time on your hands because you came in here to a LEGITIMATE Question and answer forum for people who are REAL with REAL concerns and you took some of the too much time you have and spent it posting that inmaturely sarcastic message to my LEGITIMATE QUESTION.
GROW UP:buttkick:

Well I was just poking fun at you, lighten up. I think you're just a troll, but I'll give this a try anyway.

Your saw should run out of gas before it runs out of oil, so every time you add fuel add oil as well.

I noticed the chain was spraying out bar oil and it was actually pooling on the mat.
That's a good thing.

There are many things that can cause the chain to pop off, if your cutting brush you need to over tighten your chain a bit so the twigs don't get underneath the chain. Run the smallest bar you can, I wouldn't run a 42cc saw with a bar over 16".

BTW I am a real person.
attachment.php

Last edited:
you should feel fortunate....my pull-on doesn't oil enough...the oiler is burned up more than it is working. Catch one little weed when cutting a stump off and it wraps around the sprocket and whamo, that's the end of the oiler. So far, all of the Poulans I've seen use the same oiler, which is not adjustable.

I will try...

Well I was just poking fun at you, lighten up. I think you're just a troll, but I'll give this a try anyway.

Your saw should run out of gas before it runs out of oil, so every time you add fuel add oil as well.

That's a good thing.

There are many things that can cause the chain to pop off, if your cutting brush you need to over tighten your chain a bit so the twigs don't get underneath the chain. Run the smallest bar you can, I wouldn't run a 42cc saw with a bar over 16".

BTW I am a real person.
attachment.php

Thanks, I will try that

I am using SAE30 oil, Pennzoil

That oil is too thin and does not have the tackifiers needed to properly lube the chain. Go to Walmart even and get some true bar and chain lube. The 30W is just going to run out sitting in the garage even!

As far as the chain coming off, lots of things could be going on. The stock bars are not the best quality, and it may be worn out. Have you been fliping the bar over regularly to even out the wear? The bar rails may be worn enough that the chain wont stay in. The chain and bar combo may not be the same gauge, I doubt this, but it's a posibilty.

Does that help?

For sure the Oil Issue is that your using the wrong Oil, go to Canadian Tire and get some Chainsaw Bar Oil, Motomaster makes some I believe, it is typically Red in Color and quite thick.

My Father has a Poulan, and we had the same issue with the chain coming off quite frequently with the stock bar and Chain. No matter how tightly the chain was adjusted. My suggestion to you, is to pick up an Oregon 16" or 18" bar and chain for that Saw. That is what we did for his, and ever since it is now a decent saw for Limbing and small tree's, the chain does not come off anymore.

I am using SAE30 oil, Pennzoil
Well DUH! maybe part of your problem!

I am a nobody too, just a homeowner, but I like my poulan stock saws to use as close to one tank of bar oil to one tank of gas as I can get.

30wt is for push mowers etc, Buy some bar oil. I like the Poulan pro bar oil in the black bottle, the poulan green bottle in a pinch. $3.86 a gallon, should be cheaper then car or mower oil too.

I like the Poulan pro bar oil in the black bottle, the poulan green bottle in a pinch. $3.86 a gallon.

I was at Meijers tonight and they wanted 7.99 for a gallon of Poulan oil. I couldn't believe it.... naturally it stayed exactly where the stock boy had put it. I'll pick up a gallon of Stihl oil tomorrow.

Ian

I was at Meijers tonight and they wanted 7.99 for a gallon of Poulan oil. I couldn't believe it.... naturally it stayed exactly where the stock boy had put it. I'll pick up a gallon of Stihl oil tomorrow.

Ian

Same here Ian $7.99 at Meijers and half mile down the road at wally world $3.86 a gallon, guess where I buy my 2-4 gallons at a time at.:)

Black Bottle #

Can you post the # for the black bottle poulan oil. The walmart here doesn't have it (they only have the green) but said maybe if I could tell them the number. I'm reading that there is a difference, but does anyone know what the differences are?
Thanks in advance.
chad

Can you post the # for the black bottle poulan oil. The walmart here doesn't have it (they only have the green) but said maybe if I could tell them the number. I'm reading that there is a difference, but does anyone know what the differences are?
Thanks in advance.
chad

Believe it or not wally world dont keep the black bottle in the chainsaw and tool section, only the green bottle. The black bottle oil is kept in the garden section or where the weed trimmers are kept. If that dont work for you, I will get the numbers off the bottle for you next.

Latest posts

Back