Poulan anti-vibration spring removal...HELP!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamrjones77

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to put a new handle/tank assembly on this old 3750 but I can't get these Springs off.

Any suggestions?
fda85948754bf9c8a54a6d5b8fbf5318.jpg
ab8c39e83df0d2efcb1620e044954f26.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I haven't tried disassembling a saw with that type anti-vibe but isn't there usually an other fastener down inside the spring?

Here is the IPL: http://www.partstree.com/parts/poulan/saws-chainsaw/3750-p219-poulan-chainsaw/external-power-unit/

I believe you are working on part number 33.
Yeah. It appears to be an allen head screw but there's no way to get to it without getting that silver cap off 1st. I've already ruined 1 spring in an attempt to remove it. Good things I've got 2 donor handles [emoji51]

Yeah. It appears to be an allen head screw but there's no way to get to it without getting that silver cap off 1st. I've already ruined 1 spring in an attempt to remove it. Good things I've got 2 donor handles [emoji51]

You need to go through the center of the silver cap with a Allen wrench.

You need to go through the center of the silver cap with a Allen wrench.
Perfect. I didn't try that. Just figured the hole was too small to fit the proper allen through. I'll give it a try. Thanks

Perfect. I didn't try that. Just figured the hole was too small to fit the proper allen through. I'll give it a try. Thanks

I just replaced the tank on my 3500 with one from a 3750. That's how I took mine apart. The right size Allen wrench just barely fits through the center of the cap.

I did. That's how I managed to butcher the 1st spring

Have you ever had a stubborn broken AV spring, -that you're trying to get the end piece off, and it won't come off ? Even vice grips slip? I don't know about chainsaws, but cutoff saws get grit between the spring and the threaded piece, making it nearly impossible to remove them.
One "hack" I've found is to use two vice grips, one on the end, and one on the middle of the spring.
The trick is....that even though the spring is already threaded all the way on, if you spray it with WD40 just before you apply a bit of "twisting ON " force. This causes the spring to expand slightly, allowing the WD40 to seep under the spring.
The spring should unscrew nice and easy now.

Latest posts

Back