Poulan Carb Adjustment Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to mail-order one. All my local husky/poulan saw shops claimed they never heard of it when I called them. The one shop I went to to order it after getting the part # here, he refused to sell me one, claimed that the Husky distributor counts the number of these tools in his toolbox when they come by! :confused:

PPine

I had to mail-order one. All my local husky/poulan saw shops claimed they never heard of it when I called them. The one shop I went to to order it after getting the part # here, he refused to sell me one, claimed that the Husky distributor counts the number of these tools in his toolbox when they come by! :confused:

PPine
They either are afraid that you will burn up your equipment or they want to make sure that you have to pay them to service it. If they know you have good basic knowledge of how a 2-stroke functions then I would lean towards the latter reason. As for the dealer who has his tools "inventoried", find another dealer. He is flat-out lying to you. Ask him to recommend a good Stihl dealer to you on the way out of his shop.:popcorn:

They either are afraid that you will burn up your equipment or they want to make sure that you have to pay them to service it. If they know you have good basic knowledge of how a 2-stroke functions then I would lean towards the latter reason. As for the dealer who has his tools "inventoried", find another dealer. He is flat-out lying to you. Ask him to recommend a good Stihl dealer to you on the way out of his shop.:popcorn:
I dunno about the taking inventory aspect, but he did recommend that I take a hacksaw to the top of the adjustment screws instead, so it wasn't a clear case of wanting the repair business. I tried to buy a carb rebuild kit from him too, and he said he doesn't have them--he rarely ever rebuilds carbs, just takes them apart, cleans them, and puts them back together unless the diaphram is leaking. What's a carb kit cost a saw shop, $5-10, maybe? Seems pretty cheap insurance while you're taking the time to disassemble a carb, but whatever.

I dunno about my local Stihl dealer either, though. They seem to believe that MSRP is a bad bad idea, and want to charge extra for any parts. They seem to want 10-25% more. They quoted me $152 for an EDT7 Tach.

So you are saying Husqvarna and Poulan are the same company!!!!???????

Are you trying to be an "instigator?????"

Who? Me? :jawdrop:

Clearly they aren't the same company--the cases are completely different colors. The Husqvarna logo on the Poulan parts I ordered was a manufacturing error or I just imagined it or something. :)

I dunno about the taking inventory aspect, but he did recommend that I take a hacksaw to the top of the adjustment screws instead, so it wasn't a clear case of wanting the repair business. I tried to buy a carb rebuild kit from him too, and he said he doesn't have them--he rarely ever rebuilds carbs, just takes them apart, cleans them, and puts them back together unless the diaphram is leaking. What's a carb kit cost a saw shop, $5-10, maybe? Seems pretty cheap insurance while you're taking the time to disassemble a carb, but whatever.

I dunno about my local Stihl dealer either, though. They seem to believe that MSRP is a bad bad idea, and want to charge extra for any parts. They seem to want 10-25% more. They quoted me $152 for an EDT7 Tach.

that does not sound like a good repair shop
i stock repair kits i will say this some of my kits are so old i cannot tell what they go to lol they have dust forming on the packages of course i dont show them on my site i would rather give them away if people can use the parts out of them then thats good news to me

Who? Me? :jawdrop:

Clearly they aren't the same company--the cases are completely different colors. The Husqvarna logo on the Poulan parts I ordered was a manufacturing error or I just imagined it or something. :)

actually they are both owned by electrolux just like the american yard products on mowers that you buy in sears is owned by electrolux

poulan low high screws

i had same problem with low high idle screws,theyre splined, i looked up tool site as in previous comment, you can purchase the tool from there.I also rang around several chainsaw shops , they have the tool itself but wouldnt sell any to me, because they reckon you shouldnt need to alter the settings, but if you are do a carb kit replacement job, you may as well clean the orifices these needles fit into in case of dirt inside them too. Hence need to unscrew them. I filed mine back flat and then just ran a hacksaw carefully over the top of each to create a groove a mil deep, big enough to allow a screwdriver to fit into .worked a sweet!

Carb tool

I use the no. 4 mm deepwell socket in my 1/4 inch drive set. Had to grind down the sidewalls abit but it works. Whizzkidd

Amazon

I have used a piece of aluminum tubing, slotted, and pushed over the screws to adjust, or to remove and then slot the screw with a Dremel disc.

However, I just bought two more Weedeater strimmers at Sears, so I ordered the poulon tool. Two, shipped to my door, were under $15, from seller lcpower1 on Amazon.

The downside is never having the special tool around when needed, but they are actually a nice design. The tool doesn't vibrate out of the slot like a screwdriver does.

Carb tool

Ordered on online . 3bay item no.320512230937 . Mite work better & can tie it right to the trimmer.

Ordered on online . 3bay item no.320512230937 . Mite work better & can tie it right to the trimmer.

why would you tie it to the trimmer? if it needs to be constantly tuned, you need to find the problem and fix it properly. if it's in proper working order it only needs to be tuned once.

springs

Some of these carbs that have limiter caps and no shoulder on the screw and no friction springs will not hold adjustment if you do not put the limiters back on. I had some back way out on me from vibration and nothing but thread friction to hold the needles in place.

--just cob some carb screw springs outta your junk pile of saws mowers trimmers and etc.

..every boy needs a junk pile of small engine stuff. I grab used parts all the time from mine. I know I can always come up with a franken mower at any one time that will work, either a rider or a pusher. Anyway, tiny springs, just add springs if your carb set screws don't have any and they need them.

New to Arboristsite and Poulan

Very early in this thread someone posted a part # for the Poulan carb adjustment tool as #530035560. But the thread started out referencing a specific Poulan model: a 260. Is the tool the same for all Poulans? My "chainsaw-on-a-stick" is a Model PP446ET and was so lean out of the box it almost ran with the choke set at half (which it won't hold, of course).

None of my local shops will sell me the tool, nor will they replace the screws with slotted ones. Apparently, being in Oregon, I'm too close to the Pollution Police in California. So I'm forced to go online to buy one. I just want to be sure I'm ordering the right critter.

I just bought the tool from Amazon, LC tool, for $5.99 and $2.99 to ship. I was trying to adjust a Husqvarna 137 and finally got tired of removing the air filter mount to get pliers on the low jet. Every time I would set it with the covers off it would idle faster when I reinstalled them. I bought the orange poulan to be a loner-outer.

What a PITA,

Thanks for posting the part number! That saved me a little brain damage.

Took the plunge

I decided the carb adjustment tool listed just HAD to work for all Poulans, so I bought one. I, too, bought it at Amazon, from a gentleman with an Auction ID of sandell106631. While you got a slightly better price, I couldn't find reason to complain; I sure wasn't going to get one locally. It fits perfectly and takes just a little tweak to get the critter running as it should.

That said, I will add that even properly adjusted, the Poulan still can't compare to my new Stihl chainsaw, nor my 25 year old Homelite brush cutter.

Kiss!!! More easy to find eistein!! Whizzkidd

like i said, get it tuned in properly, and you won't need it unti the next poulan comes around for tuning. only an idiot woud have the tool tied to the unit instead of doing the job the right way. have fun burning up what would be a perfectly good trimmer....
most people have a tool box or drawer to put tools in. good place to find them when needed, einstien.:laugh:

Back