Poulan Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADAMS

Reaction score
I PURCHASED A POULAN 16" CHAINSAW LAST NOVEMBER. IT RAN FINE BUT THEN I STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS GETTING IT TO STAY RUNNING. I FIGURED MAYBE THE AIRFILTER WAS DIRTY SO I CLEANED THAT. THIS HELPED SOMEWHAT. THEN IT STARTED BEING HAD TO START. SO I CLEANED THE GAS FILTER, AND INSTALLED A NEW PLUG. NOW ITS SMELLING FLOODED EVERY TIME I TRY STARING IT. IT'S ACTING LIKE IT'S NOT GETTING ANY SPARK, AND I FIGURE IT'S SMELLING FLOODED IT'S GETTING FUEL, OK MAYBE A LITTLE TO MUCH. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK AT THIS POINT. EITHER THE MAGNETO IS SHOT OR I HAVE A CARB. PROBLEM. HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS, AND DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS. :confused:

green or yellow

First a question, is it a green or yellow saw?

If it is a green saw it is likely that the compression is low, they are build only to last 50 maybe a 100 hours if your lucky (many fail sooner). manufactured with cast aluminum engine parts and only a single piston ring. Easy test just hold the saw up by the starter cord handle, if it falls down like a yoyo it is finished, if the compression is strong enough to support the weight of the saw compression is not your problem.

If it is a green saw and the compression is done, it is likely not fiesable to repair, take the money you would spend trying and put it towards a higher quality saw used if need be. Though you can get remanufactured power heads from Princess Auto for about 80-90$ cdn, I imagine these are heads with jug and piston replacments done to saws exchanged under waranty. Again these reconditioned heads are recomended for occasional use only and will only last for another weeks or two of solid use. (no warranty)

If it is a yellow saw and the compression is good you may still have life in it, sounds like you need to narrow the problem down a bit. Check condition of the spark (should be strong and white blue in color), ensure choke mechanisium is functional not stuck partially closed, and that mixture screws if adjustable are set corectly.

good luck
Timberwolf

Thanks For the replay Timberwolf. The saw in question is a Poulan 220 pro 38cc durachrome with yellow housing.
Question ? you mention a compression check, not to be stupid or any thing but do I leave the spark plug in when I do this or remove it. And this thing does try to start. ocassionally!!. Just not enough.

If you're getting good spark, you might try cleaning or rebuilding the carb. Your needle valve may not be seating properly.

Glad to hear it is yellow, if it were green you'd most likely be beat.

Yes leave the plug in, this just gives you a quick idea if the saw has good or poor compression. I supose the saw should be switched off, guess theoretically it could start if it was switched on (safety).

Check the spark with an inline spark tester or an extra plug well grounded to the head so you can visually tell if your getting a good spark. Carefull, you can start a fire, or get a shock if you had spilled gas on the saw or a have poor ground between the test spark plug and the head. In addition it is possable to do damage to the ignition coil if you pull the saw over while there is no path to ground through the spark plug and wire.

If you determine that you have good compression and a good spark, the only other main variable is fuel mixture.

Just to eliminate possibilities you might want to also check that there is no obstruction like a plugged screen on the muffler outlet.

Timberwolf

Thanks Flyrod & Timberwolf.

When I get back to the cave and finish my honey do's, I will check this stuff out. I didn't think about the muffle port being blocked and causing this sort of problem, I suppose it's a possibility. And again anything is possible at this point. However, I will let you know what I find out.

Again Thank you

I have the same type Poulan 220pro that was given to me to repay a debt. The saw is very new, I would say less than 10 hours on it. I noticed though that the chain was stretched and burned and realized that it was not getting oil to the chain. I took the bar off and cleaned everything I knew to clean, started the saw with the bar off and ...nothing! I read somewhere to drain the oil and run a little gas thru to maybe loosen up anything that may be clogging the lines. So I tried and...nothing. I don't know how oilers work so I was afraid to dig any further. Anyone want to give a little direction on the next step?
Thanks,
MasonGrey

Back