Poulan PP446ET Pole Saw keeps breaking keyways...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzcutt

Reaction score
Howdy - new to the site. Got a question for those who might know. I've gone thru 3 flywheels, thinking I had the magneto set too close to the flywheel - well, last time I set it to .008", figured I fixed it, but nope. Not sure if there's some imbalance somewhere causing the breakage. Had the carb side/reed valve of the motor off - connecting rod journal seems to be a really long pin, and the rod bearing appears to be a roller type of bearing. Funny thing is either the rod bearing is REALLY long, and intentionally sticks out from the connecting rod, or it's walking its way off of the rod (which may explain the keyway nonsense.) Not sure if this is normal or not - the rod bearing sticking out of the rod like that - never had this model apart before. Tried tapping it 'back in place' - didn't seem like it wanted to go back in the rod. And the Torx head bolts holding the jug to the crankcase are near impossible to get off.

Poulan really came up with a lousy design - every other small engine maker I know cuts a groove in the flywheel for the keyway, but not Poulan.

Well I have news for you. Almost every piece of OPE I have seen in recent years has had the key molded into the flywheel. This includes Pro saws costing $1000 or more. I'm not sure why the flywheel key keeps shearing, but you should degrease the mating area with carb cleaner before installing ANY flywheel that seats on a taper. The key is only there to align the FW properly. Once it is aligned, the taper is what holds it.

Latest posts

Back