Poulan problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It works out great for the homeowner on a budget. Buying poulans used that is.
Bought the 2000 new in 94 for $99, never a problem till this year coil module went out. That come out pretty cheap If you figure 11 years of use for 99 bucks. The 3750 was bought off ebay and had to rebuild the top end first before use, got $165 in a 60cc saw after rebuild. Needed it for a big willow that was some 54" across that fell after a storm. Bought the 330 for $55 total shipping included as a parts saw for the 3750. Turned out the 330 just needed carb work and a new bar. I just cant see spending $400 to $600 on homeowner use saws. Its funny to hear homeowners that like to break out their ms440 and flex their chest and say see what I got. But that is just yanking the chain.

Timbermaster said:
It works out great for the homeowner on a budget. Buying poulans used that is.

OK, so is there a new Poulan that you would trust? I've already blown up a 2150 (there's considerable debate as to whose fault that was). Canadian Tire stocks the Wild Thing but I've already been warned away from that. The others are getting out of my price range.

I know these pros will rip me for saying this but I would give a Poulan pro 260 42cc or 295 46cc a try. They are yellow with chrome plated cylinder. Priced at $149 and $199 new USD. That gives you a 2 year warranty too. Used you can pick them up for less then a hundred shipping included. Remember homeowner use now.

I have a Poulan Pro 262 and am very pleased with it. Paid $149 at Sutherlands, but they're going for $99 new on eBay (though it might be worth the $50 to have a store to return it to in case it's a dud).

Been using it weekends all summer helping a rancher clear cedar and mesquite. Like the layout of the controls. Starts well enough once you get the hang of it. I opened up the muffler a bit, and just ordered a 16" bar & chain since I really don't need an 18" for the work I'm doing and was nicking the occasional rock.

The chain oiler is a bit of a pig, but I've been cutting in 100 degree heat, so added an ounce of STP to a quart of bar oil. Seems to have helped. I like the little bottles of Poulan Synthetic Blend for the mix and found a cheap source for it at http://www.lawnstation.com/ . Just pour a bottle in with a gallon of Premium gas and get after it. :)

PS I would have bought the $199 Echo at Home Depot but it didn't come with a case. In fact, most saws don't seem to come with a case. What's up with that?

Last edited:
medcave said:
PS I would have bought the $199 Echo at Home Depot but it didn't come with a case. In fact, most saws don't seem to come with a case. What's up with that?

I don't like cases because they trap moisture around the saw if they get put away wet.

I think so, but I'm not sure.

Any poulan wildthing that lasts more than 20-30 hours of use, should probably be returned immediately, I'm told the units in question will be fairly obvious, sypmtoms include easy starting, good power and compression, and decent performance.

What bothers me most about the Green Poulans is their lack of consideration for safety--no chainbrakes and no vibration dampers. On the ones I've used, my hands would be numb and aching after 15 minutes use--nerve damage sets in quickly. Sure, you might get one that runs and not spend much money, but how much is your sensation of touch worth? How much is kickback protection worth? On top of this, by the time you've tried to crank one for more than 20 pulls, you're so po'd that you're more likely to make a mistake. I would go with a quality handsaw over a green Poulan anyday.

Trog, you can get the 50cc Cub Cadet which is actually an Efco painted yellow on ebay for less than $200 shipped. I haven't used an Efco but my friend has the 56 and really likes (and a lot of the guys here say they are quality saws) it and I've been wanting to give it a ride. I don't need another saw, but a small limbing saw would be handy and for that price I'm inclined to grab a Cub since they go for so cheap (about $100 under retail if I recall).

Last edited:
My Poulan has pretty nice antivibe and a chain brake that is almost too sensitive. Sometimes it sets itself when I put the saw down.

As to cases, my MS360 and Mac 795 make fun of my Poulan whenever I put the Poulan in it's case. They wonder if I'm gonna give it a kiss before I tuck it in for the night. :)

Latest posts

Back