Poulan-related bar and chain swap question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mexicanyella

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about bars and chains here on AS and am slowly absorbing info about different mounts, cutter types, gauges etc. I was looking at a A041-mount bar off a Poulan 2150 and a K041-mount bar off a Poulan Pro PP4620avx and just because it amuses me to mix and match things, I put the chainless 20" K041 bar on a 2150 powerhead and put the cover and nuts on finger tight. Made that 20" bar look pretty big...but it got me wondering...given the added top-to-bottom "height" of the 4620's bar, and its wider nose radius, what would the effect be of running a shorter version of that bar on a saw originally equipped with a skinny little A041 bar with the small-radius safety nose? Would the gentler nose radius require less power from the engine, all other things being equal?

Next question that occurred to me was, if you found a .325 drum/spur for a Wild Thing-family Poulan and put on a a short K041 bar for .325--say, a 13" or 15" one, like I've seen online, could the 42cc engine benefit from .325 chain if the bar was short enough, or would it just be better to stay with a 3/8 LP setup?

I'm tempted to try swapping the 4620's drum/spur onto a 2150 powerhead I have and try it with this 20" bar and chain off the 4620...if for no other reason than to see how quickly it bogs down with the added load. Thoughts?

The a tail is A continuation of the K tail at least in the profile. It is not like they draw it in the literature. A k tail spaced somewhere around 1/4 to 3/8 inch farther from the sprocket will be the same but with a larger void. The 13 and 15 inch (0.325 chain) called length bars can be sloppy about calling an A a K. My guess is the a is for 6 tooth in 3/8lp, 8 maybe 9 in 1/4, and maybe 7 in .325. If you like modifying things a 3005 stihl bar at least a current one can be made to work with some slot lengthening and hole making, they take a somewhat different approach getting wider at the tail much quicker.

0.325 Nk (narrow kerf like oregon 95) has cutters only a tiny bit bigger than common 3/8 lp with bigger drive links. It should have resistance to de railing if no other advantages. You will be pulling one more tooth across a given spot every two revolutions.

Latest posts

Back