Poulan Saws which one's are the keepers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking for this old thread I started a while ago and got to reading it. I am going to go on a search for 3400,4200,4900, 5200 5400, or an 8500 my question is if I could get any of these which is easy to get parts for and which one would you want to own?

You should avoid any and all Craftsman 4.2 and/or 5.2 chainsaws like you would a $5.00 hooker with an adam's apple.

Instead, send them to me for proper quarantine (the chainsaws, not the hookers :laugh:).

The easiest is the 3400, then the 3800, then the 3700, then the 4200, then the rest. If you want a very nice 3400, some on here, including myself can hook up up with a nice one. If you're an east coaster, the bigger ones are harder to land in my experience.

Well I really dont "need" a saw I "want" a saw (see the clever way I worked that out) I dont want some one to give up a nice saw for me.I just wanted a project for the winter.We have a wanted magazine here wher I can post an ad. I was just wondering which ones I should search for. Thanks for the reply.

Don't rule out the 3700 series either, just picked this one up tonight at a pawn shop. Sorry for the crappy picture.

Craftsman37.jpg

Now is that one going to say Poulan on it? or is it made for someone else hence the red not green paint?

Ok so Chris just posted 2 photos of the same saw correct? different views right.

Yes, that's my Craftsman 3.7 (Poulan 3700). The exposed support bar (officially the spacer - isolator) between the anti-vibe mounts (officially the isolators) is one clear way to ID certain Poulan models that were rebadged as Craftsman. Once you see a few Roper 3.7s, it's easy to distinguish it from the Poulan 3.7s. I don't have any photos of any Craftsman/Roper saws; hopefully Gary will post some.

Since no one else stepped up, here are a couple of pictures of Roper built Craftsman saws. These are the earlier versions:

Craftsman38fromSteve001.jpg

These are the later ones:

Poulanfamilyportrait006.jpg

The Poulan built 3.7's came in red:

Craftsman37.jpg

As well as gray:

Craftsman37009.jpg

I have run both of my newer Roper built saws and they cut fairly well.

Last edited:
How about:

5200 (bottom-end only)
25 DA
a beige/faded green (???) "Skill Saw" that looks identical to the 25 DA
Micro XXV "Deluxe"

I know a guy that has all these setting on the floor of his garage.... :wink:

dw

How about:

5200 (bottom-end only)
25 DA
a beige/faded green (???) "Skill Saw" that looks identical to the 25 DA
Micro XXV "Deluxe"

I know a guy that has all these setting on the floor of his garage.... :wink:

dw

I know a guy that would be interested in all of those saws.... ;)
I know a guy who happens to be just about broke.... :(

If you post that list of saws in the Poulan stickie, you'll have some folks interested in those saws.

I was just bored tonight on fire assignment in CA so I got to reading this... those Roper's Guido posted! My dad had one of those when I was a kid, first saw I ever ran. The thing was an utter piece of junk! In the shop all the time because it wouldn't start when hot after refueling- I remember it taking more than one flight through the woods after my dad threw it in disgust!

I ended up with it as a young man and same thing. I got good at estimating how long a tank of fuel would last and got pretty good at "hot-fueling" (fueling while it was still running)! It caught fire once doing this but I got it out and continued to use it for a few years, then dad gave me his Johnsered for a few years til I got my first Stihl! What memories!

That is the truth of a lot of old saws. You almost never hear anyone say stuff like that. My brother had an old McCulloch 10-10 and that did the same thing , and so did he. I remember one time after pulling on the saw for 5 min that he took it to the woods road and set it gently down there. The crank started the old Allis Chalmers Model B and calmly backed over the saw 2 or 3 times. Then after the saw sunk down into the muddy road he yanked it out and pulled it over and it started right up. From that point on he said on occasion he would take the saw to the rear wheel of the Allis and warn it. After a few applications of this the Saw , saw the light and behaved much better. I personally threw a Jonsereds 510 sp into the woods one time when I was about 18 did not help the saw much but sure felt great !!

Back